“Paying the Gringo Price” 1 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
San Diego, California
“Paying the Gringo Price”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The one entre we ordered was good. But, it was $68 for the small bowl of penne pasta and a bottle of water. Beware of this place because they charge the Gringo Price and they can get away with it, because what are you going to do? You have to pay it or they call the police. AVOID this restaurant which is pretty easy since it is not on the main road, but for me, someone who is a recent ex-pat in the area, I now know better. AVOID AVOID AVOID

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Modesto, California
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Fantastic wait staff, friendly and hard working. Great food and INCREDIBLE Chocolate cake! I could live on this cake! The waitress and waiter were friendly and made us feel welcome and as if we were at a friend's home instead of a restaurant! It was a Tuesday night and there were about 18 people in there yet they were able to spend time talking with us like they had known us for years.

The outside of the restaurant is very understated, it sits next to a Circle K and just looks like a storefront. Inside, the fountain, the golden colored curtains and the wonderful murals made us feel special. Very classy.

And two people for dinner, with wine and (shared) dessert, was only $50!!

We will definitely be back!!

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
minneapolis
“Surprised me”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

We stopped in Oakdale for the night on the way to Yosimite, and needed to find place for dinner.

After reading some Trip advisor reports we decided on Bocelli's, but didn't expect too much since it's in a strip mall in a small town.

We arrived early on a Sunday right after a town festival concluded......some chocolate festival which I never discovered why was being held in Oakdale....

Only a couple of other tables were occupied, but we ordered salads and pasta pomodoro and the cioppino.

Wow, was I surprised! I eat out quite a bit since I travel in my business. I also love to cook, so I think I am a pretty good judge of good food. This was good.

Go to Bocelli's if you want a good Italian meal..... Good food, good service, and the owner's daughter is nice!!!!

Troy
“Great hometown restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012 via mobile

We have wanted to try this little restaurant for the year and a half that we have lived here. It is now our favorite. As I was praising the co-owner for the lack of televisions (one of my pet peeves), she went on to tell me that they use only organic chicken and grass fed beef and locally grown veggies. Hey make their own pasta and bread and she went on to add that they use no canned product. The restaurant is not fancy but it is clean. Weekends are by reservation only from what Helen was telling us. They are only open for dinner and have a limited menu which I like because it means less chance of old food being served.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Pleasanton, California
“Great food, lovely wall murals, feels like Italy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

We originally tried this restaurant through Restaurants.com. We wouldn't have known about it otherwise. The food is excellent, the service was good and friendly and we really enjoyed our visit. So much so, we went again for birthdays and anniversaries. It is our "Special" restaurant for those special meals. The pricing is reasonable and that is the bonus for our "Special" place.

• Visited June 2011