“Very basic, clean but dingy, no fitness room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn of Novato

You added Americas Best Value Inn of Novato to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn of Novato
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7600 Redwood Blvd, Novato, CA 94945 (Formerly Travelodge Novato)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Novato
Brookings, Oregon
“Very basic, clean but dingy, no fitness room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

The room was clean and comfortable but it is dark and dingy. The breakfast is mediocre: milk and cereal, juice and coffee and sweet rolls. The dining area is like eating in a cave. The parking lot is narrow so when the hotel is full it can be hard to maneuver. The hotel is right off of 101 so it is easy to find.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side away from 101. It's quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
NovatoAbvi, Public Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn of Novato, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Thank you for the positive review. While some things like the parking lot are a bit beyond our control we will do better to brighten and liven the place up. At the moment we are making decor changes starting with the first floor.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Incline Village
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed at this motel in Novato because there was nothing else available under $200 for the weekend. I had requested a rollaway bed in advance, when we got there the man at front desk said there weren't any available, then he checks in the back and found one. When he brought it up to the room, he left it and said "I don't know where you're going to put it" what an attitude! We unfolded it in the corner by the air conditioner (the only space for it) and the mattress was paper thin, the springs were poking through it! The next day we asked for another rollaway and this time the lady at front desk said "oh yeah, that's an old one it has to get thrown out". The wallpaper in the bathroom is peeling off (who puts wallpaper in a bathroom?), the TV is supposed to have cable and HBO, but the channels were limited and it's not a digital TV. I took our dog for a walk behind the motel, there's a little grass area and I see a truck parked at the far end of the parking lot, on my way back to the room I see another car parked alongside the truck, they're doing a drug deal! A few minutes later after the druggies left the Sheriff is parked in the lot, where was she when the drug deal was going on?! The next morning there's a camper van parked outside with a sleeping bag & trash on the ground, the police show up again! Yes, there are homeless or low income families living here, maybe that's why it gets the name "America's Best Value" Inn. I wouldn't recommend staying here, now I know why there were rooms available, everywhere else at a reasonable price was sold out for the weekend, the Sonoma races were on. If you're staying more than 1 night, I would stay away from this place. We won't be going back!

Room Tip: If travelling with a dog, ask for lower floor room. We didn't get one & our dog had to sleep...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

I am truly sorry for the rollaway, and hopefully it didn't ruin your race weekend. We have brand new rollaway mattresses and brand new friendlier clerks now.

The decor in the rooms, even puzzled me when I began working there. Wall paper has no place in a bathroom, and it's not a great choice for any part of a motel room. Although the 2nd and 3rd floors are the same, we have started remodeling the first floor. The walls now have fresh paint, and no paper.

We have always had cable and HBO, but if you return this summer we will have a 60+ channel lineup.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We use to stay here a few years ago when it was a travel lodge. It was close to the race track, almost a straight line. Always felt safe, not any more. Never again will we stay there. Scary characters hanging at all over. Watch your back. Check your room for bed bugs. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for staying in the past, and we would love to have another chance to earn your business. We have been working with police very closely to keep drugs and criminal activity off the property. They have shared with us many solutions which have been very effective. We also have private security. If there's ever a problem we take care of it right away. Nobody wants trouble.
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This hotel is located between railroad tracks and a rock plant. These are not the biggest problems for this property. The lobby was smelly and very old looking. Definitely in need of an update. After checking in, and walking to my room I saw that several rooms were occupied by people who were living at the hotel. They were hanging around outside, smoking and chatting. I noticed toiletries in the bathroom window which also indicated this was home. While parking a guy was unloading his furniture out of his van and putting it into a room.

Fortunately my room was on third floor, and away from the residents. Opened the door and was blasted by a smell of cleaners. Had to open the window, but preferred this smell to what I had expected. The room was mostly clean, but furniture older. The state of the room is the only reason I gave this property two stars.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and concerns. Business in Marin brings plenty of contractors who stay for weeks or months at a time. Knowing this, they tend to make themselves comfortable, and we allow them to bring a variety of things we may not allow non business guests to have.

The bathroom windows do have a ledge that many find convenient for placing toiletries, and maybe that is something we will discontinue. We'll also try not to overuse the cleaning products.

From late 2013 to now, we have done plenty of work to refresh the property. We have new furniture on the way, new carpets in many rooms, flat screen TVs, and are working on a new lobby design.

Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My employee booked two rooms at the hotel for three night through Expedia, but due to weather conditions we told the management that we could only stay one night and would like them to credit us and apply the credit to our stay the following week. They refused to make the even though the Manager, Jason said he could make that decision. Expedia said they would credit us but only on Jason's approval. Don't book at this hotel, they don't appreciate paying customers.

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
NovatoAbvi, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn of Novato, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
We are sorry you feel that way. We appreciate paying customers very much. We often go out of our way to ensure guests have a pleasant stay and return. We also appreciate the value of a contract. Rooms booked on 3rd party sites notify guests very clearly that rooms are paid in full, upfront, with no possibility of a refund at a discounted rate. Guests who do not book rooms that way pay higher but have more flexibility. It would be unfair to them to let those who pay lower, have the same flexibility.

The strict terms are the nature of the deal. We provide both methods of reserving rooms, and once selected, the choice must be followed through.
California City, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

It started when I checked in with a confirmed on-line reservation and the man at the counter tells me I can't have my room because it was made on line and even though it was through ABVI's web site, they are a 3rd party and actually have nothing to do with the specific individual motel. There was a room available, but not what I asked for an more money. The room was nice and quiet. There was no toilet paper. You could feel the springs in the bed and that was by far the worst nights sleep I've had in a very long time. Parking is lousy. Plan to hump your luggage or the cart they have available, a long ways. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone and I won't be staying there again. For the money I could have gone to several other places had I known it was going to be this way. Also... read the other reviews!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Aspects such as the parking lot being full or the length of the building are a bit beyond our control but the other issues you had can be rectified. The staff here works hard but if they dropped the ball I am sorry.
Oakland, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The employees are defensive and stand off-ish and it's no wonder mistakes literally come out of thier paychecks. When u book online or though the 800 number they don't mention dogs on first floor only u pay extra for 2 beds only get one. The vending machine food is stale u can't even get an apple or banana for breakfast. After booking for 3 weeks, in the 3rd week at 11:30 they told me i had to swich rooms by noon because of my dog. The manager refused to speak to me untill 1 during our entire conversation he rolled his eyes and smirked. While I tried to explain had they told me when I booked the room, last week even the effen day before I would have no problem switching rooms. I even explained to him I was there moving things between storages and into a place to live there fore I had stuff everywhere. The owner who stood next to him, said and did nothing just avoiding dealing with me at all. This was inhuman and just disgusting behaviour!!!!!!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
We are sorry your stay ended on a bad note. This was a simple problem that got out of hand because certain sources do not have information to provide. Neither the internet nor 800 number will have information on our dog policy. ABVI properties are individually owned and operated. The franchise can not keep track of every properties policies. The best we can do for guests who arrive through those channels is ask about pets when they check in and display a sign at the desk stating the pet policy.

We asked that the pet policy be adhered to only when we saw the dog and definitely could have worked with you on moving a day later. It would have been no problem if we could have gotten past the sudden shock of it all. We love dogs here.

Sadly the vending machine is not managed by us, but by a food distribution company. They come 2-3 times a week to replenish the machine. If we are ever alerted to a problem with the food we will definitely call the company and they do a great job resolving issues.

Though fruit is a great breakfast, many guests did not think so. I hope we can one day go back to serving fruit. It's a great idea.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Novato
BEST WESTERN PLUS Novato Oaks Inn
Hotel Petaluma
Hotel Petaluma
#6 of 8 in Petaluma
3.0 of 5 stars 49 reviews

Been to Americas Best Value Inn of Novato? Share your experiences!