“Was Okay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marinwood Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added Marinwood Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Marinwood Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   275 Alameda del Prado, Novato, CA 94949 (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Novato
San Diego, California
“Was Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed the weekend at this hotel and for the price it was quite adequate. They are remodeling the check in area but our room was in the back so it was nice and quiet and no highway noise. The parking was great and the beds were really comfortable! You can tell this is an older hotel even though they have upgraded. But for the price and if you want something clean and safe and convenient, then this is fine. Plenty of hot water, the shower is good, there is a kitchen and little patio and a skylight to brighten the room. If you like that deep darkness that you can get in hotels with the dark curtains, then this is not for you. The skylight brightens up when the sun comes up..which was fine with me. They only leave one single serving of regular and one of decaf coffee for you in the morning, though. I'm sure if you ask, they would leave more but the first morning we would have like to each have a cup of regular!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
ManagerDM, Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Mise48,

Thank you for choosing the Novato Econo Lodge for your weekend stay in Marin. We love that you found our rooms bright and comfortable and note to leave 2 servings of each coffee for guests that are double occupancy. We hope that you will visit us again the next time you are in the area.

Best Regards,

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

when in the area, consider this property. It is currently under rennovation -ask for a new room. rate includes breakfast and wireless. it is an older hotel from the outside, but the rooms are nice. not much more to say than to consider this hotel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I made the reservation for this Econo Lodge months in advance from the reviews on tripadvisor and am happy with our stay. They are undergoing a renovation, but do not let this keep you from staying here.

We stayed in a newly renovated King room. The vanity area is the best I have seen in any hotel that we've stayed at...beautiful. The room smelled new, either from new carpeting or paint or both. We could not hear any traffic noise from the room all the way in the back corner of the property, not that the property is huge...we could still see the back of the office from our room.

My only issue was that the deadbold did not lock due to some new doors perhaps and they had not gotten the chance to put the security lock at the top inside of the door yet. It wasn't a huge deal especially after we went outside and made sure the door was locked when we closed it, but I would have felt better with a deadbolt. I didn't lose any sleep over it, literally :) I also let them know on check out that it wouldn't lock, so I'm assuming it was taken care of.

My only suggestion would be to get a plastic shower curtain or plastic liner for the shower. It was a non waterproof cloth curtain only and had a bad odor to it after we took our showers and it stayed damp. I do not think the correct type of shower curtain was used for the renovation and a change should be considered.

Breakfast was as to be expected...coffee, juice, bagels, toast, muffins. Enough for us especially since we brought our own oatmeal and added that into the mix. Due to the renovation, the office and the breakfast area are in the same room so there are no chairs and tables. This didn't bother us at all, but it may someone else.

We were very happy with our stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Novato
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The room was clean and the furniture was new and comfortable. The only complaint I have about this hotel is the check-in did not as smooth as I would have liked. After a 3 hour drive I just wanted to get into my room and shower!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

sacramento
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The hotel is on a hill and is essentially three separate tiers of rooms. I asked for a King Suite away from the freeway, which is what I got, but it is also furthest away from the office and breakfast. Good location and reasonable price for the area. Check-in was efficient and reasonably friendly. I got clear directions to my room and instructions on how to turn the shower on (you need to pull down on the ring around the water nozzle). The room (#147) was large and included a full kitchen (stove, oven, full size fridge, microwave, toaster and coffee maker). Unfortunately, there was not a single pot, pan, plate, utensil, or paper towel. The fridge never got cold.

The bed and pillows were super comfortable and there were outlets everywhere. The bathroom sink was well lit, but the separate tub/toilet area was dimly lit and the fan didn't work. The tile floor was beautiful.

The room had a vaulted ceiling with a skylight, which can be a plus or minus because there is no way to make the room dark, which is what I like in the morning and also for a nap. The "balcony" is wide enough to step out onto, but not wide enough for a chair. The room was right above the outdoor BBQ. social sitting area. No one used this area, but it has the potential for being noisy or smokey.

The pool was reasonably clean (leaves on the bottom), but very unappealing, needs some flowers or potted plants, plus there was an employee sprawled out asleep on a lounger in the shade (kind of creepy).

The on site restaurant is not open at this time. The hotel breakfast was packaged muffins, sweet rolls, bagels, jelly, butter a juice machine with two types of juice and Keurig single cup coffee/tea maker, which is nice, but not very efficient when there are several people in line for coffee and kind of expensive and wasteful (all those individual plastic "pods"). Our room was uphill on the top tier and we would have had to juggle drinks and food up a maze of stairs back to our room so I drove down the hill. We each got 1 pastry and 1 muffin and a juice and a coffee and got back in the car to drive back to our room. The hotel staff member left the office/breakfast area and watched us in the parking lot and followed us to the street and watched us drive up the hill to our driveway as if we weren't guests. He should have just asked to see our key.

The clerk gave out my room number to my friend and was rude in giving here directions to my room. I don't think they should give out my room number to anyone.

Housekeeping consisted of making my bed, poorly, replacing my towels and putting my garbage into an empty chip bag from my garbage can and leaving it in my room. They did NOTHING else. No vacuuming, no wiping down the counter or table, no cleaning of the sink tub or floor. They didn't even replace the little plastic cups.

This could be a really great hotel with all the nice remodeling they are doing, but staff, and the lack of attention to detail make the changes pointless if the service is so substandard.

Room Tip: Ask if the room has a skylight because you cannot darken the room. Ask if the kitchen is equipped...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kiran T, General Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your most recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and we will use them to better improve. On behalf of our housekeeping department and staff, we apologize for our lack of customer service. You issues will be addressed and we will take the necessary actions to better train our housekeepers and staff.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The room I was given was tiny, and the shower curtain was dirty, not to mention there was hair in the shower and on the blankets and sheets! The comforter on the bed was old and dirty, the room itself was quiet but I felt so icky after sleeping there I left early in the morning. I would much rather pay an extra $50 and stay down the road at the Hilton. The "remodel" seems not to extend to the actual bedding just a coat of paint and some fancy sinks...

Room Tip: stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Firstly thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. We are sadden to hear about your experience at our hotel. I have personally spoken with the housekeeping department regarding your incident and necessary actions are being takine to better train our housekeepers to look out for hairs in showers and on blankets and sheets. We once again apologize and would love to be given another oppertunity to show you that we can do better.
Scottsdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I don't stay in very many Econolodges, but this is the best one I've seen. When I drove up it didn't look like much, but it turns out that part is still under construction. The rest of the property looks very nice. And surprisingly, the pictures that say they are “provided by management” are actually pretty accurate.

The property is on the side of a hill, so my ground floor accessible room actually had a small balcony. There was also a nice skylight. The kitchen could use some updating, but what the heck, it's a kitchen in a two star hotel. The Wi-Fi speed was good (almost 2 mbps) especially for a small hotel. Most places like this you're lucky to get 1 mbps. And the guest laundry/ice machine room was bright and open, not hot and poorly ventilated like many places.

The check-in process was very smooth. They had all the reservations printed out with the key card already made and ready to go.

I rarely give 5 ratings on Tripadvisor, but for a two star hotel, this one deserves it (assuming they do as nice a job with the rest of the remodeling). I'll look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Kiran T, General Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for sharing your most recent stay with us. We are humbled by your praise of being the best Econo Lodge you've seen. We are glad to hear your check-in process was smooth and you enjoyed our free wifi. The construction you speak of is being done for our new lobby which should be completed by the end of August. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your in Novato. Thank you again for your 5 star rating of our hotel.

Been to Marinwood Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!