“Charming” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Guest House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Novato
Guest House Bed and Breakfast
You added Guest House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
2075 Center Road, Novato, CA 94947   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Novato B&B and Inns
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Charming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I needed a place in Novato to stay. Was I surprised to find this little winery with one guest house. It stands on its own, the woodwork is hand crafted and the structure is old winery rustic. It is a large space filled with some nice antique furniture. Apparently this part of Novato used to be small wineries at one time. The remains of huge wine barrels are everywhere. So huge, that the bathroom is half built into a wine barrel! Very quiet other than the family dog who almost never barked. It is not a place for everybody but for those who love artistic, spacious living, and wine, it is fabulous! Incidentally, the Chardonnay is GREAT. Buy a bottle or a case! Brian and family are very nice hosts!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

What an enchanting place to stay! I was unsure what I was getting myself into as it was hard to find information on this guest house and someone had written a terrible review, but still there was something intriguing about the place. I am so happy we decided to spend the night! Now we wish we would have spent more time there but there is always next year. The guest house is outstanding, with a huge bathroom that has twin showers and a rock lined giant tub and a main room that is warm and comfy with all of the amenities. We also used the pool which felt so nice to float around in and relax after we had just finished a long hot running race. We also had a wonderful breakfast the next morning out by the pool! The family that runs the guest house are very kind and welcoming. I hope our travels take us back to the guest house (next time we will try the wine that we read many good reviews about).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Juneau, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I am currently attending a 3-year training program in Novato, CA. and stay at the Guest House B&B 2-3 times/year. Each 10 day stay has been absolutely perfect. I think of it as my own personal little paradise. In an attempt to refer this lovely little treasure to a friend today, I happened upon this website and was shocked to see a rather harsh review from a recent guest. It hardly seems possible that she could be describing the place that I have loved and come to appreciate as my home away from home. The grounds are lovely, and yes rustic, which is exactly a part of the many aspects of this environment that provides charm and a homey, cared-for, restful, natural place. The ambiance and creativity of the surroundings, from the wooden/arched/stained glass windows and doors (all of which can be opened quite readily), the natural rock soaking tub, a bathroom constructed inside a huge wine barrel, tastefully beautiful antique furniture, and the exquisitely beautiful and comfortable bed, to the lovely setting of a small family winery, complete with surroundings including flowers, fruit trees, a vegetable garden, swimming pool and hot tub, it’s hard to imagine what I could possibly complain about. Above and beyond the satisfaction that I get from the surroundings, the B&B owners and hosts, Brian and Colleen, are the best treasures of all. They have gone above and beyond accommodating me during each of my visits. They are the real deal…..professional, responsible, kind, generous, responsive to my every need, and a whole lot of fun! I have had no experience with animals running across the rooftop, chickens scratching at night, or arguments occurring in the background (the hardest piece of all to imagine!!) and I’m pretty sure I would have noticed if any of those had been the case, even though I sleep like a baby when I’m there. It’s true that there are no curtains on the windows or locks on the door, but then there is no need because a 6 foot wooden (and yes, rustic) fence surrounds the premises, with carefully placed furniture and bamboo screens to elicit a complete sense of privacy inside the building. The respect for my privacy has been one of the qualities of this experience that I’ve appreciated the most. While the place is spotless, there is no sense of being in a sterile environment. I have no doubts that there are plenty of other lodging opportunities in the area where locked doors, sterile surroundings, and drawn curtains are abundant, but don’t expect an opportunity to laugh at the goats butting heads nearby, or the sound of morning birdsong, or the scent of lemons and fresh flowers wafting through your window. I could go on and on! Other reviewers on this site have described it as truly elegant and extraordinarily charming, and I couldn’t agree more. I HIGHLY recommend the Guest House B&B to ANYone and EVERYone open to a unique experience.

Room Tip: Only one room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Reviews from years past coupled with aged photos on website are misleading. The accommodations are RUSTIC and anything but private. There are no locks on the doors, no curtains on the windows. Windows that do NOT open leaves the place smelling musty and stagnant. Attempting to freshen it with opening doors only gives access to the owners dog (which is not mentioned on website). The bed is lumpy and while the bath area is unique, there is no secure privacy. The "winery" is attached to the guesthouse with a door (no lock) in full view when Brian was "working" one morning as I exited the bath area (fully robed). The pool listed on the website was covered with leaves and debris and obviously not cleaned in quite some time. The hot tub was not shown to me. The vineyards for walking are 4 unmaintained rows. Gardens are not maintained. Animals running on the roof and chickens scratching during the night will keep you awake. Brian and Colleen may have been friendly and gracious at other times but during my visit, Colleen is out of town. If the bumpy drive and less than inviting atmosphere don't turn you away, when Colleen returns home on my last night the owners begin a LOUD screaming match that woke me and continued for several hours. I immediately exited the property the next morning. I would not recommend this property to ANYone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Thornhill, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Pulling into the bumpy driveway past the christmas lights, you probably will wonder, what the heck did I get into! As soon as owners Brian and Colleen greet you and show you to your accomodations, you quickly realize you're someplace special with special hosts. We spent two nights in the roomy, spotless Guest House. Great water pressure, climate, bed, coffee, breakfast, a pool and two wonderful hosts. Our kids loved picking fruits and veggies, feeding the goats, checking out the chickens and of course Brian and Colleen.

I have never experienced a place or hosts like this and probably never will again, until I return.

Room Tip: Only one room!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

We had our out-of -town family stay at the Guest House. They were so amazed by the house that my sister-in-law convinced her husband to take time off work to fly up just to stay at least one night there. The owners are friendly and the property is surprisingly tucked away. A great retreat for those who need a place to stay close to West Marin, SF and Napa Valley.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

We have stayed at many charming B&Bs, but the Guest House blew them all away. This private cottage is all soaring ceiling, warm woods, natural stone, and stained glass. The photos on their web site don't do it justice. The bathroom is like nothing I've ever seen, constructed partially from a gigantic wine barrel, with a double shower that cascades into a large bath. The views are of pool and gardens, and little secret paths wander through the property, leading to surprises around every corner - gardens and vineyard, grottoes and goats (two friendly, quiet goats who are excited to have visitors). We're recommending this place to all of our friends who are planning visits to Napa or San Francisco.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Guest House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!