“Read reviews before staying here...” 3 of 5 stars

You added GuestHouse International Hotel - Norwalk to your Saves list
GuestHouse International Hotel - Norwalk
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12500 Firestone Blvd, Norwalk, CA 90650   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Norwalk
“Read reviews before staying here...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The pics do not really look like exactly what this place is, but none the less if you just need a place to crash for a day or two, then this is a OK place. This place was not bad NOR was it good. There is an on site bar so at last call hour, around 2:30 A.M. it got extremely noisy outside of my room. I could hear people walking up & down the hallways and their drunken convos. Every time I went into the office the security guard would just be in there either standing or eating. There are no microwaves or fridges available, you need to pay extra, which is so dumb!! This place is located right off the freeway so if you do not mind the traffic then by all means this is a place for you.

What I can say is, the rooms were spacious, I had a two queen bedroom on the second floor.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor and it was still extremely loud, so I am not sure if the 1st floor is bett...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Livermore, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

i have stayed at this hotel twice, with a tour group. On both times, i was unhappy with this hotel. I am surprised that people actually want to stay here. I don't USUALLY stay at a hotel like this, but my groups often pick this one, so i have to join them. I felt my group could do better at Motel 6. At least this place is MUCH more modern. The services offered are TOTALLY outdated. I feel I am staying at a "Motel" not an Inn or Suites. I have "paid" for an "Inn" cheaper and better than this place, and more amenities offered. The TV, room, colors of the room, just seem to be ANCIENT. The Exterior needs attention also. The location sucks also. The closest thing within walking distance is an AM/PM. If I am starving they do have a restaurant, but sorry the food is terrible. I admit I didn't do breakfast. Also dinner is WAY to expensive for what you get. However the office is a palace!???? $10 charge for a refrigerator or microwave. Repeat the sign says Suites, huh? I was VERY unimpressed. I suggest if you are desperate stay there; otherwise I would DEFINITELY go somewhere else. By the way my Egg Nog spoiled. I was too cheap to spend $10 for a refrigerator.

Room Tip: i can't give any tips, except go somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Norwalk hotels

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one reason only ... because I was writing an article on filming locations from 1980s movies. Norwalk, CA is a town in between Anaheim and Los Angeles and has the distinct honor of being in many well known movies from the 1980s. The nearby arcade/go cart attraction was featured in the movie, The Karate Kid and looks similar to how it did in the film. The Guest House Hotel (which somewhat modified) was the hotel where Chevy Chase famously jumps into the pool naked with Christie Brinkley waking up the entire hotel. One of the classic scenes from any comedy.

This hotel is very much stuck in the 1980s from a customer service standpoint. I believe you have to call in order to book a room. I spoke with a 'manager' about the article I was writing and my request for a poolside room. Of course when I got there, nobody had heard anything about it ... but the front desk clerk was an absolute sweetheart and changed some rooms around so I could have a second floor room overlooking the pool.

The hotel itself is not somewhere you'd probably want to stay if you were looking for a first class accomodation. It was dated and 'motel' feeling ... I would definately not call this a hotel. (exterior corridors, cheesy rooms, worn carpet). For the price, it is clean and comfortable and reminiscent of the motels you may have stayed in as a kid on vacation. (The perfect choice for the movie hotel, actually).

It seemed that there were a few tour buses of Japanese tourists staying there along with a large wedding party. The first thing I did, was go for a swim in the famous pool. The color changing lights and tacky furniture make it pretty different from the 'resort' feel that it had in the movie. While it is a little more tacky now ... you can see the spots where Chevy Chase did the famous scene and it is 'exhilarating' to be in that location almost 30 years later. (there are a few framed pictures outside the lobby of the movie being filmed there.

The grates on the walkway outside hotel rooms on the second floor are still the same as they were back then. The color was for some reason changed to a bright yellow making the hotel look a lot tackier than it would if it was painted a classier color. The area the hotel is in feels a bit industrial. However it is easy to hop on the highway and in 20 minutes you could be at Disneyland ... and in under a half hour (with no traffic) you can be in LA.

Tip ... There is a restaurant about 10 minutes away called Clearman's North Woods Lodge (in La Mirada) ... you've seen it off the highway. Fake snow on the roof of a log cabin. If you love steak and don't mind spending some money, try this place. From both a cheesy/kitchy level and a food level ... it will blow you away!

Overall, I probably wouldn't stay here at the Guest House as a hotel unless I was on a strict budget. However, it is clean and good for families or groups. (warning ... as such, it is not the quietest hotel you'll see) The best part is the pool ... clap your hands and few times, shout, 'This is crazy! This is crazy! This is crazy!' and channel your inner- Clark Griswold and you can recreate one of the most famous scenes in 80s movie history in their awesome pool.

Room Tip: Pool view on the second level
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Guesthousenorwalk, Manager at GuestHouse International Hotel - Norwalk, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your previous stay with us. Our goal is to provide the utmost service & accommodations to all our guest. The hotel continues to make changes and improve the quality and consistency of the product. and service. We appreciate you also taking the time to point out our brush with Hollywood and the close proximity to great dinning. With that said, we hope to see you in the near future.

Management
Fairfax, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I checked in to find out the man next to me was managing groups of workers living on the premises. People were in and out of his room having conversations right outside my window and one was smoking. I requested a quieter room but there was none so I asked for a refund so I could leave. The manager refused and I left anyway. Do not book here, it seems sketchy and with workers in and out who knows the type of person you are next to. Bad customer service!

• Stayed August 2014
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Good decent motel to stay at for the night. The location isn't the best since it is far from most LA attractions but the price was unbeatable. Clean room with bathroom towels, shampoo, etc. Also had a spa/pool area

Mostly international guests here for some reason,

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

My husband and I spent two nights here as part of a tour group.

The hotel room was clean, quiet and the beds were comfortable, but the room itself was a bit cramped - there's not much space to open up luggage!

The free wifi was very slow.

And the in-house restaurant's food options were distinctly limited - our menu on the first night consisted of "Salad @ $10, Hamburger @ $10 and Cheeseburger @ $11". Needless to say, we had dinner elsewhere the second night!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

First look from outside looked like a motel or dirty apartment complex color is ugly went to check in the two ladies one heavy set and other rude looking were slow and very impatient and rude and only way to kill all that was being nice and smiling. The lobby was the only nice thing about the appearance of this motel. Got to our room smelled weird, cramped, old tv, & dirty blinds. Swimming pool was alright. Security guard is such a prude! For Christ sakes people are on vacation! He follows people and just a nuisance! Night manager a heavy set lady is a very rude and doesn't do anything at all! Never will come again and don't suggest your family to come here if you don't want to have fun on vacation don't come here! Not worth your money save it for a real hotel!

• Stayed July 2014

Been to GuestHouse International Hotel - Norwalk? Share your experiences!