“Second class citizen” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Durham, North Carolina
“Second class citizen”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Be prepared that if you do not pay full price or do not stay in the more expensive rooms you will be treated like a second class citizen. Arrived late on Friday July 12, 2013 after a long and delayed flight for a business meeting. Really needed a good night's sleep for a business meeting in the morning. When I checked in I told the hotel clerk repeatedly that I needed a quiet room but was told in no uncertain terms that the hotel was "sold out" and the only room available was right over the entrance where of course there was a lot of noise. I pressed again and after much effort they were able to find me a room that looked over a brightly lit parking lot that stays lit all night long. I asked to see the manager who was this incredibly rude and arrogant person who after reviewing the computer sarcastically told me that in "my price category" there was nothing else and sorry if I did not get a good night's sleep. Having no other choice I chose the parking lot room. In a nice display of being placed into a "steerage" room I found old hair in the sink and no one to pick up when I asked for a wake up call. And of course there were no curtains in the room but wooden blinds that did not close all the way. The best part - in the morning I found an additional $21 "hospitality" charge.
I am expecting the usual response from the company that Balboa hires to answer these complaints with the standard "We are so sorry for your experience. We pride ourselves on providing first class service to everyone and we deeply regret that we did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that your experience will be reviewed and we will continue to diligently improve our guest serves." Please don't bother.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dieter H, General Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for taking my call last evening to further discuss your experience at our resort this past weekend. I do apologize again that we weren’t able to provide a more positive experience and meet your expectations. I hope that when your travels bring you back to Orange County, you will contact me directly and give Balboa Bay Resort another opportunity. Best Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband, dog & I spent 1 night at the Balboa Bay Resort. We chose them because they are dog friendly. When we checked in they gave us a doggie care package. Our room was very nice with a oversized balcony & water view. All staff were very friendly to us. We were pleased overall during our brief stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Dieter H, General Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience. We always are pleased to hear when our guests enjoy their stay and have the opportunity to experience some of the great Resort amenities. We hope to welcome you and your dog back to the Balboa Bay Resort very soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed one night here and were very pleased with the choice. The views of the bay and the mega yachts docked out front are spectacular. The room product is above average and I spent several hours watching sailboats work their way up and down the bay from my balcony. Service is outstanding and the bell staff are among the most attentive we have experienced. Highly recommend this resort for families or couples.

Room Tip: Spring for the Bay View room. It is worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GuestRelations M, General Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review about the resort. Our waterfront view is truly one that never fails to captivate. I will make sure to personally pass your complements on to the bell staff. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Best wishes,

Sam El-Rabaa
Balboa Bay Resort
Los Alamitos, Ca. USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

What a great place to stay. Everything about the property is 5 star. We walked into our suite and my husband said "I could live here". What I really liked about the suite is that it had 2 bathrooms. We had people getting dressed in our suite so there was plenty of room for everyone. The food was wonderful.

Room Tip: We stayed overlooking the pool. It was great. The waterfront rooms were a lot more money.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your review. We are truly delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful experience and were so pleased with your room and dining experiences. Thank you again for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Balboa Bay Resort very soon!
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for a long weekend. It's located on Balboa Bay - not beach / ocean front. But the restaurant lanai has a nice bay view and yachts pulling up. The check in staff were very nice and helpful. We received coupons for free cocktails at the hotel bar upon arrival. The room was well appointed with wooden shutters, toiletry items, garden tub and separate toilet. There is convenient valet parking for an extra fee. There are two gift shops in the hotel. The hotel is located within close driving distance of shopping, newport beach pier, balboa island, and restaurants of every level. We would probably stay at this location again, as we enjoyed our stay and were comfortable. On the other hand there are so many hotels to choose from in this area that I don't know that this one really stands out among the others.

• Stayed June 2013
Dieter H, General Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for your review and sharing your impressions. We greatly appreciate your kind comments about our rooms, staff and amenities, and are pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall. I understand that there are a number of hotels in the area, so I sincerely hope when your travels bring you back to Newport Beach, you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations. Again, we appreciate and greatly value your feedback.
Newcastle, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We visited for Father's Day/ our anniversary. It was the perfect place. Splurge on a bay view room. You won't want to leave. The decor was lovely, the staff was warm and accommodating, and the food yummy. We will be back again.

Room Tip: Go for the bay view on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and kind comments. We are delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Balboa Bay Resort very soon!
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Family of four in Queen / Queen bayfront room. Staff greated and treated like we were old friends. Room was spotless; room service rapid; valet about the best we've even seen. We did not feel out of place in our rental Ford Escape, even while mixing in with the Ferarri and Bugati folk - everyone was treated as a friend here. This is an understated elegant hotel. I have one very small caveat - the housekeeping staff are zealous and we were getting knocks on the door at 7:50 a.m. - don't be shy about using that DND sign. Otherwise - perfect.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and shoot for the Bay View rooms; they are worth the incremetal cost and oversized ver...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience. We always like hearing when our guests enjoy their stay and receive great service from our staff. I would like to apologize for the early knocks on your door from our housekeeping staff. I will make sure your comments are addressed with our Rooms Manger so they can then be shared with our housekeeping team. We thank you again for letting us know about your experience. We truly value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Balboa Bay Resort very soon.

Been to Balboa Bay Resort? Share your experiences!