“Nearly flawless” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 17 hotels in Newport Beach
Cockfield, United Kingdom
“Nearly flawless”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed for a week at a conference in a great room overlooking the pool. The hotel was first class; the staff were attentive and friendly, the food was excellent, the facilities were outstanding. I had a suite with a beautiful bathroom, the bed was great too. The hotel is a short walk from some great restaurants like Garlic Jo's and Billy's at the Beach. The AC was too cold though!!!!

310 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times and love it! Definitely rent a duffy boat -was Soo much fun!! Nice rooms, great location - you can't go wrong! There are a bunch of great restaurants and bars very close -to A Restaurant is fantastic as well as Div bar!!

• Stayed February 2013
Naperville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Decent enough property - rooms were clean, bathrooms were spectacular, beds were comfortable...wasn't overwhelmed with my street view, but a big chunk of the rooms face the street, so that's life...

The forced $28 daily valet parking fee is rediculous. The kids parking the cars were all very pleasant, but between the daily rate and the 3-4x's per day $3 tip everytime I took my car for a spin got to be too much. Add in the phantom $20 "resort fee" and the hidden charges start to add up...still trying to figure out what I got for my $20 resort fee - I was told internet (should be free), fitness room usage (should be free) and bottled water in the room (gee, thanks)...as it was, I hardly used the internet, didn't have time for the fitness room and the water wasn't replenished as promised after the first night, anyway...

It rained all 4 days I was there, so I didn't really get a chance to take advantage of much else - the pool, the outside bar, etc...all looked nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dieter H, General Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your review. I appreciate your kind remarks about our facilities and staff, and I apologize that other aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. You are correct that bottled water should be replenished and this oversight has been addressed with our Rooms Manager who has already discussed your experience with his team. Also, as a lower cost alternative to valet parking, we do offer self parking on the resort grounds. Again, we appreciate you bringing these matters to our attention and hope to welcome you back under sunnier circumstances when you can take advantage of the outdoor property amenities and the beautiful coastline city of Newport Beach.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Attended a legal conference this weekend--as we do every three years at this hotel. Loved the room overlooking the water. Staff was charming, accommodating, and helpful. Did not use any of the facilities (except we did drop in for a few minutes to dance at the bar Satuday night to a great combo). My only negative comment is that many of the attendees, including myself, kept complaining each of the three days that the meeting room was freezing, but very little apeared to have been done about it, except for an hour or so on the last day of the conference. But that could happen anywhere. I would very much recommend this hotel for a lovely, laid-back weekend retreat.

Room Tip: Although more expensive, I suggest you opt for the bayfront rooms--it's lovely to sit out and wa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We always appreciate the kind remarks and take tremendous pride in offering our guests first-class service and amenities. I do want to apologize about the cool conference room temperature. Please be assured that we have brought up this issue with our management and engineering teams, who are working on a solution to make the rooms more comfortable during this unseasonably chilling Southern California winter. Again, we truly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming your legal conference back to The Balboa Bay Club & Resort.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have stayed here several times and always love it. The location is great. Short drive to Fashion Island and Corona del Mar with lots of shopping and restaurants. You can also walk to Starbucks and several other places to eat. Breakfast at the hotel is lovely and overlooking the water is a special treat. Kind of expensive-breakfast for my 12 year old and me was $60. Hotel is very reasonably priced. We had a regular room that overlooked Pacific Coast Hwy. It was quiet in spite of being right on the highway. I think next time we would pay more for a room with a view of the water. Staff here is very nice and helpful Rooms and public areas are nice and clean. Only thing I didn't like was the resort fee. They should just raise the price of the hotel. They didn't tell us about the fee or what was included when we checked in. Didn't realize it included internet. When my daughter tried to get on the internet it told her it was $12.95 for wifi.

Room Tip: Spend extra and get an ocean view room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dieter H, General Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us once again. We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your overall stay. I would like to apologize for the misunderstanding about fees for internet access. Free wifi is included throughout the resort for multiple devices as part of our Hospitality Service Fee, and I am sorry that this was not clearly communicated to you. Again, your feedback is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Balboa Bay Club & Resort.
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Really a first class place all the way - stopped in for a couple days and will be back again in Feb. I agree that the conference rooms can be cold, but we have told thim to make sure it is not a problem when we return with 100 people in a couple months.

Room Tip: ask to stay in one of the suites - they are unbelievable.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was our fourth stay at The BBC and it was predictably pleasant. The reception is professional and accommodating. Also very fast. We asked for a different room after we got to our room and not only were we accommodated graciously but the young women at registration came up to the 3rd floor and brought us a different room key. I thanked her for her thoughtfulness and she replied the bellmen were very busy and she was happy to help us. I can't ask for more than that. We watched the 49's win their spot in the Super Bowl in Dukes Bar. I really appreciate the painting of John Wayne (the Duke) in the bar. Reminds me of the days gone by when BBC was also a splendid place to hang out. We were blessed with balmy 75 degree weather but I would have enjoyed if it had been raining and cold. The food in the bar was just what it is supposed to be and just what we wanted. I look forward to our next stay. BBC is my favorite hangout in Orange County. It's not a bad gig at all.

Room Tip: The poolside and garden side are quiet and pretty too.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Balboa Bay Resort? Share your experiences!