“Love this hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1221 West Coast Highway, Newport Beach, CA 92663   |
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
“Love this hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times and love it! Definitely rent a duffy boat -was Soo much fun!! Nice rooms, great location - you can't go wrong! There are a bunch of great restaurants and bars very close -to A Restaurant is fantastic as well as Div bar!!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Naperville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Decent enough property - rooms were clean, bathrooms were spectacular, beds were comfortable...wasn't overwhelmed with my street view, but a big chunk of the rooms face the street, so that's life...

The forced $28 daily valet parking fee is rediculous. The kids parking the cars were all very pleasant, but between the daily rate and the 3-4x's per day $3 tip everytime I took my car for a spin got to be too much. Add in the phantom $20 "resort fee" and the hidden charges start to add up...still trying to figure out what I got for my $20 resort fee - I was told internet (should be free), fitness room usage (should be free) and bottled water in the room (gee, thanks)...as it was, I hardly used the internet, didn't have time for the fitness room and the water wasn't replenished as promised after the first night, anyway...

It rained all 4 days I was there, so I didn't really get a chance to take advantage of much else - the pool, the outside bar, etc...all looked nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dieter H, General Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your review. I appreciate your kind remarks about our facilities and staff, and I apologize that other aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. You are correct that bottled water should be replenished and this oversight has been addressed with our Rooms Manager who has already discussed your experience with his team. Also, as a lower cost alternative to valet parking, we do offer self parking on the resort grounds. Again, we appreciate you bringing these matters to our attention and hope to welcome you back under sunnier circumstances when you can take advantage of the outdoor property amenities and the beautiful coastline city of Newport Beach.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Attended a legal conference this weekend--as we do every three years at this hotel. Loved the room overlooking the water. Staff was charming, accommodating, and helpful. Did not use any of the facilities (except we did drop in for a few minutes to dance at the bar Satuday night to a great combo). My only negative comment is that many of the attendees, including myself, kept complaining each of the three days that the meeting room was freezing, but very little apeared to have been done about it, except for an hour or so on the last day of the conference. But that could happen anywhere. I would very much recommend this hotel for a lovely, laid-back weekend retreat.

Room Tip: Although more expensive, I suggest you opt for the bayfront rooms--it's lovely to sit out and wa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We always appreciate the kind remarks and take tremendous pride in offering our guests first-class service and amenities. I do want to apologize about the cool conference room temperature. Please be assured that we have brought up this issue with our management and engineering teams, who are working on a solution to make the rooms more comfortable during this unseasonably chilling Southern California winter. Again, we truly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming your legal conference back to The Balboa Bay Club & Resort.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have stayed here several times and always love it. The location is great. Short drive to Fashion Island and Corona del Mar with lots of shopping and restaurants. You can also walk to Starbucks and several other places to eat. Breakfast at the hotel is lovely and overlooking the water is a special treat. Kind of expensive-breakfast for my 12 year old and me was $60. Hotel is very reasonably priced. We had a regular room that overlooked Pacific Coast Hwy. It was quiet in spite of being right on the highway. I think next time we would pay more for a room with a view of the water. Staff here is very nice and helpful Rooms and public areas are nice and clean. Only thing I didn't like was the resort fee. They should just raise the price of the hotel. They didn't tell us about the fee or what was included when we checked in. Didn't realize it included internet. When my daughter tried to get on the internet it told her it was $12.95 for wifi.

Room Tip: Spend extra and get an ocean view room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dieter H, General Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us once again. We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your overall stay. I would like to apologize for the misunderstanding about fees for internet access. Free wifi is included throughout the resort for multiple devices as part of our Hospitality Service Fee, and I am sorry that this was not clearly communicated to you. Again, your feedback is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Balboa Bay Club & Resort.
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Really a first class place all the way - stopped in for a couple days and will be back again in Feb. I agree that the conference rooms can be cold, but we have told thim to make sure it is not a problem when we return with 100 people in a couple months.

Room Tip: ask to stay in one of the suites - they are unbelievable.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was our fourth stay at The BBC and it was predictably pleasant. The reception is professional and accommodating. Also very fast. We asked for a different room after we got to our room and not only were we accommodated graciously but the young women at registration came up to the 3rd floor and brought us a different room key. I thanked her for her thoughtfulness and she replied the bellmen were very busy and she was happy to help us. I can't ask for more than that. We watched the 49's win their spot in the Super Bowl in Dukes Bar. I really appreciate the painting of John Wayne (the Duke) in the bar. Reminds me of the days gone by when BBC was also a splendid place to hang out. We were blessed with balmy 75 degree weather but I would have enjoyed if it had been raining and cold. The food in the bar was just what it is supposed to be and just what we wanted. I look forward to our next stay. BBC is my favorite hangout in Orange County. It's not a bad gig at all.

Room Tip: The poolside and garden side are quiet and pretty too.
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I was excited to return to this hotel for a legal conference, and am sorry to say I'm disappointed in several aspects of this hotel.
1. The Freezing Conference Room. Oh my gosh, we were literally shivering sitting in the conf room yesterday and today. I was wearing a long sleeve shirt and a scarf and finally went to get my leather jacket. We complained NUMEROUS times, and the staff members did not seem that concerned. The room finally started getting less frigid after 3 hours.

2. The HORRIBLE Service in the Bar. What a joke. We were watching the game in the bar (I think it is called Duke's), and I ordered a hamburger well done without the 1000 Island dressing. The rest of the table got their food and I received a cheeseburger. My friends' soup was delivered without spoons. The service was so slow, my friend started eating her French onion soup with a fork! I asked if the cheeseburger was mine since I ordered a hamburger, and the waiter (not our original inattentive waitress, who didn't write down our orders) took it to go see what was going on. Literally 50 MINUTES AFTER I ORDERED IT, and after asking several waiters what was going on and asking for a manager, I finally received a hamburger. The manager brought it to the table and didn't even apologize! The burger was rare with 1000 Island dressing, and cold. I went and found our waitress and told her I was leaving and would not be paying for my iced tea (which was delivered without sugar) or, obviously, the hamburger. I left the bar, walked across the street to the Taco Bell, and ordered a burrito.

3. The DUSTY Room. I have a dust allergy and always call ahead and ask for fresh bedding (to include the blanket and comforter, which they apparently don't change every time - gross!). I asked the front desk when we checked in if it had been thoroughly cleaned, and she said it had. We got into the room Friday night and I noticed the dust. I was really trying to make the best of it, but used an entire box of tissue by morning blowing my nose from the dust. I went to the front desk on the way to the conference Saturday morning and told them the room was dusty and needed to be cleaned better. Later that day, it seemed cleaner but Saturday night, I could barely breathe in bed (pillows? covers? bathrobe ??) it was so dusty. I went down first thing this morning, with my nose raw, and complained again. I am now back in the room and the bed doesn't seem that dusty, but we will see how I sleep tonight. Can't wait to get into my own clean bed at home!

This place is almost $400 per night, and doesn't deserve to be based on the above. It is a beautiful resort, right on the water, and the rooms are very big and well appointed, but it is not worth my money. I will encourage our group to choose another hotel next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dieter H, General Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your review and bringing your concerns to our attention. I truly apologize that the conference room was not at a more comfortable temperature and that the service at Duke’s Place was so slow. Please be assured that both issues are currently being addressed. Regarding your dust allergy, I would like to assure you that we change guest room bedding daily – this includes sheets, duvet covers and blankets. Although our guest rooms are cleaned thoroughly each day, our housekeeping department will review your comments in case there are any additional measures that can be implemented. Again, I apologize for your disappointing experience and thank you for your valuable feedback.

Been to Balboa Bay Resort? Share your experiences!