“Excellent Newport Beach Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   690 Newport Center Dr, Newport Beach, CA 92660   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
New York City, United States
“Excellent Newport Beach Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

After checking out early from a disappointing one-night stay at the Fairmont Newport Beach (which is in Irvine at the airport, not Newport Beach), I returned to a stand-by that had delivered before, the Island Hotel. Renovations of the restaurant, bar, lobby, exercise facilities, etc., were evident since my last stay here 4 months ago: Beautiful. The service is excellent, the room and beds 5-Star, and the location convenient to the Fashion Island Mall making shopping and dining options extensive. The service here is commendable and you really feel like the staff care, but most importantly, they deliver with not a problem experienced on either of two stays. This is now my preferred Newport Beach hotel property.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem first class!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Arabic first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I stayed at the Island Hotel during a recent business meeting. The lobby is large and airy and the reception staff are very friendly. The pool area is lovely, complete with fireplace and bar. The pool itself is kept at a constant temperature of 82 degrees with a separate hot tub that seats 14 people. The rooms are very comfortable, with all the usual amenities. We had two meals catered during the meeting with the lunch being quiet good, but the dinner only average. That said, the service at both meals was excellent. The hotel is located a short walk from Fashion Island mall with Neimans, Bloomingdales, and Macys, as well as several small upscale specialty shops. During my stay I saw several happy shoppers returning with large bags.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. Mine overlooked the roof which was fine since I was on business, but not...
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

This hotel has an incredible lobby. Really, quite beautiful. The rooms are average (we usually stay at Marriott), and there is a nice roomy bathroom with marble counter tops. They DO a la carte you to death, and wifi prices are high (free at Marriott). The last problem was the 3 outlets were all in highly inconvenient places. One side of the bed had no outlet at all. Not a huge deal, I guess..

All the maids were very sweet, and the valet guys were all well-trained and highly responsive. I would not stay here again, though, despite it being okay. Something about this place or maybe the location, just sort of left me cold. Couldn't wait to get out of there.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have been in this hotel twice this year and it has an excellent service and very confortable rooms.if you stay in the city is probably the best option.
The restaurant and bar services are quite good too.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We spent three days at the Island Hotel for a work "retreat" and had a very good experience! The hotel was previously a Four Seasons and it still has that feel. We rarely left the meetings so didn't take full advantage of the gym or pool .. but our families did and all seemed very happy. The hotel is directly across the street from Fashion Island..a big Newport Beach shopping mall...but it is a lovely mall..not your typical city mall. The stores are huge and there are a lot of nice restaurants and you can see the ocean from the mall...we didn't go to the beach or play golf or anything else..but we ate dinner at various mall restaurants and everyone was very happy.

Room Tip: Our rooms were on very high floors...I had read before we went that the rooms on lower floors were n...
Long Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I began coordinating our stay at the Island Hotel back in February for our wedding weekend. Several family members and friends were coming from out of town and we wanted a nice place for everyone to gather. Twenty eight people in all.

We were able to get a special rate since we were booking 14 rooms. The staff member that helped me was very professional and very friendly. They even asked if any of our guests had any special requests or needs during their stay.

From the moment we arrived, everything was first class. Every single employee greeted us with a smile and hello. They go above and beyond to make you feel welcome.

The remodel seems to be completed. And I must say, they did an excellent job. The lobby, restaurant and lounge are all done in modern decor and colors. The rooms are spacious and clean. The pool area and outdoor patio for the restaurant and lounge are outstanding.

One of the couples attended our wedding for the weekend had booked another hotel nearby. There was an unfortunate incident and they needed to find another hotel at the last minute. I spoke with the front desk at the Island Hotel and they were more than happy to accommodate our friends on such sort notice.

The first evening of our stay, we returned to our room to find a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us. What an unexpected pleasant surprise.
Everyone with our party (all 28) had nothing but good things to say about the hotel and their stay. Not one of us had a bad experience.

I must admit, I was getting a little worried when I started reading some of the reviews on line about the noise from the nightclub. But several people in our party had rooms right above the club and said you could faintly hear the sound of bass in the background, but nothing loud enough to keep them awake. And the hotel had no problem accommodating guests that requested a room on the opposite side of the hotel.

A special "thank you" to Katie (both Katie's), Stephany, and Jess. You helped make our stay a truly great experience. A perfect hotel for the perfect weekend. We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The corner suites are really spacious.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I was sent here after my other hotel was overbooked and shafted me. The Island made a horrible experience into a great one. It was my birthday during all of this and the front desk upgraded me to a nice suite. While I was only there for about 9 hours I had a great sleep, nice bathroom, great room service (waffles were over cooked).

I would sat here next time over the hotel that over booked me.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport Beach
Fairmont Newport Beach
Fairmont Newport Beach
#13 of 17 in Newport Beach
3.5 of 5 stars 1,033 reviews

Been to Island Hotel Newport Beach? Share your experiences!