“Has Gleamers of Greatness, but Falls Short” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   690 Newport Center Dr, Newport Beach, CA 92660   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Irvine, California
“Has Gleamers of Greatness, but Falls Short”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Overall nice experience, but service not of a 5 diamond resort.

We reserved 2 adjoining rooms - second room was not available until after 5 pm - requiring 4 people to get ready in one bathroom. The adjoining door was blocked by chairs and ottomans. There were cords crossing over the threshold, in which I tripped over once. Service at the pool was substandard.

The Island Club had a beautiful view with very friendly personnel.

Room Tip: An Ocean View is all you need.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Arabic first
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We have stayed at the Island for 20 years...Although it is no longer a Four Seasons - Gone are the days when they brought Dove bars around to your pool lounge chair at 3pm followed by a spritz of Evian, but it is still a nice hotel. Linda, Matt and Steve worked very hard to take care of our concerns regarding the night club music. In fact - they were WONDERFUL. We were moved to the opposite side of the hotel and were super pleased.

The entire staff remembered our names and made our family feel special the entire week. We love the location, shopping, pool and size of the Hotel. I do feel the menu at the pool was limited - need appetizers and vegetarian options.

The remodel is beautiful and fresh. Each morning after our run, the valet would present us with a cold bottle of water. The newly added infused water in the lobby was GREAT. Could not get enough of that. The coffee bar in the morning was wonderful - coffee tasted great. Thank you staff... see you next year!

Room Tip: You will want to ask for a room on the opposite side from the Night club
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Checked into Corner coastal suite and explained that we were allergic to feathers to a john at the front desk. 12:30 am spoke with Jamie in customer service who was very condescending and waited 30 minutes and had to call back again. Went to front desk to her Asst Manager who was equally condescending. Per Ron his manager is Lisa and we will speak with her In the am. NOT four star at all!!! If you want excellent service this is not the place.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

The Island Hotel is now a nightclub. But the nice thing is they will turn down the music at 1 AM. So very kind of them. Stay at the Marriott or Ritz Carlton.

When I called and asked about the music they said sorry and would not be turning it down. Would not move me to another room. I am now trying to sleep with earplugs. At a five diamond resort! What a joke. Either be a nightclub or a hotel. But protect your guests ability to sleep at night.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
DieterHissin, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

Oak Grill and Aqua Lounge are new and exciting additions to the Newport Beach scene however, it is never our intention to negatively impact our guest’s stay and for this experience we apologize. As we continually evolve at Island Hotel we strive to maintain our high quality standards and exceptional service levels. Please know efforts are being made to address this situation and that this is not a typical visit.

In regards to a room move, we are more than happy to accommodate our guests requests pending our room availability, which can change quickly throughout the day. I apologize for not being able to accommodate you this visit.

I hope that you will afford us the opportunity to welcome you back. Once again, thank you for taking a moment to post your thoughts here.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

My wife and I have been staying at the Island Hotel for well over 15 years, when it was a Four Seasons. We stay here 3-4 times a year and it is still our go to hotel in the area. However, as of late, the service has been lacking and the rooms are showing their age. The new renovations are nice, but they do contrast with the rest of the hotel, which still has that "Four Season's" kind of vibe and motif. It almost seems like they are trying to attract a certain client to the lounge area that would not normally stay at this hotel.

On our last stay over the 4th of July weekend, the pool was complete chaos with those in charge not knowing what to do or how to handle all the guests. While we were able to get everything resolved, it did take several conversations and well over an hour. This was a bit of a disappointment.

Some of the amenities that used to be included, like nightly turndown service, now you have to call for or they are no longer available.

Knowing what this hotel was in the past and what it is now, given the price, the hotel is only "average" or a little less. This is one of the few hotels that I have trouble getting a comfortable night sleep. I believe it is because the beds are so old.

I will continue to stay at this hotel because it is convenient and overall the service is pretty good. But overall, the Island is not as good as it used to be. If it was not for the golf package that allows you to play at Pelican Hills, we most likely would stay at a different property.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a corner suite. You get a nice balcony and a couple of different views from you room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

I am disappointed to learn that your last visit did not meet your expectations. I apologize our service standards feel short during your poolside experience. I have followed up with the individual department to ensure these service and communication errors do not occur again.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in us. Kindly, please call me when your travel plans next bring you to Newport Beach so that I may personally assist with your arrangements. In the interim, we remain at your service and I would like the opportunity to speak with you more in depth, please feel free to contact me at the hotel.

Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This is a gorgeous hotel with possibly the best service I have ever encountered. I also had the single best massage of my life. But really? Pounding house music outside my window until after midnight? Even the 10,000 thread count pillow over my head and the softest cotton balls in the world in my ears couldn't begin to dim the noise. I had to catch a 6 am flight. My wakeup call was for 3. The nice woman at the front desk assured me it would stop at midnight. I think at some point I would have traded everything for a motel 6 without a club rocking the room

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for posting your comments here.

Oak Grill and Aqua Lounge are new and exciting additions to the Newport Beach scene however, it is never our intention to negatively impact our guest’s stay and for this we apologize. Please know we are making adjustments to ensure this does not happen again.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Island Hotel again soon. Once again, thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts.

Zichron Yaakov, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

When I was there the hotel was undergoing major renovations: restaurants, gym, etc. So they gave a pass to the gym next door, and there are many restaurants at the near-by shopping center. So, overall, a decent stay.

I recommend checking out the shopping center for meals and shopping.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Island Hotel Newport Beach? Share your experiences!