“Wonderful luxury...at a cost!” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   690 Newport Center Dr, Newport Beach, CA 92660   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
“Wonderful luxury...at a cost!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My family and I were at The Island for two nights in August. The lobby and pool area, along with the rooms and fitness area were fantastic. The restaurant needs some updating, but the Concierge made up for that when he helped me out with some dinner reservations, cancellations, and suggestions! There seems to be a lot of extra charges, and parking rates for a non beach front hotel were crazy. However, I would stay here again in a flash, and it was great to walk to Fashion Island Mall which is one of the nicest malls I've ever seen. The accomodations were beautiful, large and clean, and suited us well.

Room Tip: Ask about rooms with a tub/shower option instead. We had a lovely bathroom but it got messy after s...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed here for three nights over this past Labor Day weekend, and overall enjoyed our stay. The rooms are probably the hotel's strongest point. They were extremely large, very nicely decorated, and well-appointed with tasteful furnishings. The bathrooms were gigantic and plenty of countertop space for both my mother and I (note: that RARELY happens in hotels for us). There was no coffee maker in the room (typical at nicer hotels, but irritating nonetheless). The beds were extremely soft, which I loved, but my mother hated. The lobby area was nice as well and the bar/lounge area on Friday and Saturday nights was extremely popular. The pool was nice as well with a very tropical feel to it and a large fireplace and a DJ spinning tunes. (Not too relaxing because of the dozen or so unsupervised kids fighting each other with pool noodles in the hot tub, but that really isn't the hotels' job to police the kids - just kind of irritating).

The hotel is in a great location - walking distance to Fashion Island and a convenient drive to the airport, Anaheim, Laguna Beach, etc. Parking at over $30 was a bit shocking given that this hotel was, by no means, a Ritz. This is where the not-so-great part about the hotel came in. Sure, we were not paying Ritz prices to stay here, but the service was very "meh" and along the lines of a 2.5 or 3 star hotel. No one went out of their way to ask about your stay or blew either of us away with exceptional service, or even out of the ordinary. We had to ask for our mini bar to be restocked. No one at the pool area came to help us find chairs or put the covers on them for us. Getting bar service, at the pool, was also sort of a nuisance. They are waaaay understaffed, clearly.

Another issue I had was regarding some type of private event last night going on. While I realize that today is a holiday, I had a very early flight coming back to Chicago to prepare for an important event. This particular event hired some sort of singer/band that was EXTREMELY loud, even with our sound machine. We called down a little bit after 11:05, and was ensured by the front desk that the band was scheduled to stop playing at 11 and they were just "wrapping it up" . At 11:40, we called down again and they also ensured that it would end. A bit after midnight, it finally ended. I was just a little irritated that they would allow that loud of music to permeate into the guest rooms.

Despite the lackluster service and the one hour of sleep I missed out on last night, I enjoyed both the location and size of the rooms and would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank hollyx113
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Had a great two-night stay with a really nice two-room suite with a small balcony, exactly as we'd requested. All hotel services were prompt, professional, and fulfilled our every request. Spent the day lounging poolside which was a delight.

Its proximity to Fashion Island's restaurants and shops made it even better!

Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Try the "executive suite".
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kirkkirlin
Redondo Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Very nice hotel but nothing differentiates this from a 4 star hotel except maybe the fact that there is no coffee maker and parking is $31. On the other hand, we only paid $250/night so the value is appropriate. A couple of downers were that we were put in a handicap room and reception service was poor. Otherwise, everything was ok and I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JJJ77
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We just spent a weekend down in Newport Beach at the Island Hotel and were totally pleasantly surprised. The hotel is lovely. We were upgraded to a really nice suite. The service at the hotel was great. The pool area is small but very nice and the gym was great. It was excellent being at Fashion Island....great shops, great restaurants, and an excellent Whole Foods. It was a lovely weekend....and we can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Try for an upgrade. We were upgraded to a fabulous suite with 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms....
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel many times over the last five years. I am always impressed by the overall quality of the physical hotel. This time I was just as impressed with the staff. I got great and friendly service. Happy to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Melizondo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Seems like this hotel has a lot of good reviews so just take an average of them all I guess. My experience was not great and it didn't seem like the same hotel many of the other reviewers talked about. The hotel and I got off to a very bad start. I arrived with 4 other family members including a 3 year old at 415pm over one hour after checkin was to begin. We had booked two rooms. Neither room had been cleaned and were not available. They said they were very busy. I couldn't believe it. They then said it would be at least an hour before the rooms would be available. That would make it 515pm before we could get our rooms. They offered to buy us a round of drinks which we accepted while we waited. After about 30 minutes later my 5 month pregnant sister-in-law requested a sparkling water. The bar-tender told us immediately that we would be responsible to pay for this water. We laughed it was so ridiculous. We assumed we were going to pay for the water but to have it pointed out to us ... left me speechless. So tacky.
They did end up calling me at 515pm to let us know our room was finally ready. So that was the bad start. The rooms were clean, the hotel pool looked nice, it was just so hard to have a positive attitude after the "welcome".
We went out to dinner that evening (a Saturday night) and when we came back we were awestruck by what we saw in the bar. It was kind of fun actually. It was the craziest collection of people I've seen since that Star Wars bar scene (and we live in LA). Some of the OC's finest.
I'm sure this hotel is generally fine. Just a bad experience for me. No big deal.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
6 Thank hampdenLosAngeles
TheIslandHotelNB, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Good afternoon valued customer:

Thank you for taking the time to respond regarding your hotel stay. We are indeed in our highest season and running very high occupancy; such a good problem to have! Please note that this should not have any effect on your arrival.

Our check-in time is at 3pm and we fell short of meeting this goal with your family's arrival; please accept my personal apology and I can certainly understand your frustration. Although we did have rooms ready for check-in upon your arrival none of them were connecting or adjoining, which was the requirement since you were travelling with a large family including small children. In my diagnostic journey in searching for the root cause of this error, it was discovered that these specifis were not communicated in your reservation when transferred from Expedia.com into our system.

Regarding the interaction you experienced in the lounge, there are no excuses for what you scribe nor will I provide you with one! I have personally spoken to the server in the lounge and am confident this was an exception to the rule.

I have left you a message and look forward to personally welcoming you back to our hotel here in the center of coastal luxury!

My best

Fairmont Newport Beach
Fairmont Newport Beach
#12 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,157 reviews

Been to Island Hotel Newport Beach? Share your experiences!