“Excellent experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is excellent. Simple and to the point. Amazing view from the room and if toylike space the public areas will provide ample space. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. If you do not need to bring a car don't parking fee is excessive

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Arabic first
Prescott Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stayed here just one night. Had a beautiful suite with luxurious furnishings. The service was exceptional. Loved the views from the balconies. Dog friendly with a large grassy area to exercise pets. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Did not use the restaurant or room service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Although the appearance of the hotel is phenomenal, service is terrible.
My cousin and I were expecting to spend couple wonderful nights at this over-rated hotel, but what we experienced was the opposite of what a lot of the reviews here say. But it might just be bad luck for both of us.

Upon our arrival, the check-in service was alright, but after that, a receptionist told us to wait for a bell boy to carry our luggages for us, but we waited for 10 minutes and saw no body show up to assist us, so we helped ourselves bring the luggages to our room.

Late at night, a group of people talked loudly on the hallway, and their irritating noise penetrated the wall of our room. I called the front desk to ask them send some one up to clear the bunch, but I guess that person came late, because by the time he/she came up, the bunch has already dismissed. Not long after they are gone, people staying in the room next door began having sex. My cousin and I could hear everything. My cousin got really pissed off and went to the front desk, but it was no help at all.

The next morning, we decided to check-out. The front desk lady noticed that we were checking out one day earlier than the day our reservation showed, and told us that there would be no refund, but did not even care to ask us why. So I hinted "Last night was pretty rough," it surprised me that she did not even ask why or apologize.

It was such a disappointing experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
TheIslandHotelNB, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Good Afternoon:

Thank you for your kind words about the appearance of our hotel, though I’m sorry to hear you were not as impressed with your stay.

We pride ourselves on providing the best experience for all our guests, and here it appears we fell short. If there is an upside, it is in the feedback you have provided us, which we take to heart. No matter how small, every encounter with a guest is a chance to deliver great service.

Your comments reinforce with us to always keep that top of mind. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you to hear more about your experience. Given the chance, we would love to show you how our hotel’s service can be as stunning as its appearance.

My very best,

Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The other option in Fashion Island is the Marriott, which is horrible. The Island Hotel was beautiful & understated overall, with well appointed rooms. The King deluxe room was very comfortable and a standard size with a smallish but nice bathroom. Service and restaurant were good & overall impression was pretty strong considering the room was about $230/night. It's really easy access to Balboa Island, Newport Beach, Corona del Mar & Laguna.

The only grip was a really busy valet & no self parking to bypass it. There was ALWAYS a line & long wait, whether you were arriving OR leaving. When we first pulled up for check in, the valet took 2 or 3 cars ahead of us, literally had them drive around us to cut in. When I asked why, he said they were already guests who had checked in. Really??? So the new guests (that take the exact same amount of time to valet for) are left standing there for 5 minutes?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TheIslandHotelNB, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Good afternoon Valued Guest:

We appreciate your business and are very grateful for your positive feedback concerning our hotel, the well appointed rooms, the location of our facility and the good service! The staff will be most excited to hear of your posting! I will make sure to pass it along to the entire team!

Also, thank you for sharing your experience with the Valet Team. Please accept my sincere apologies for the miscommunication of the situation. This specific scenario was addressed with the Valet Manager and Valet Staff; our newest member (still in training) is aware that a mistake was made. Please understand this is an exception and not the rule here at the hotel or with the valet team.

Please reach out to me directly at 949-760-4950 so I may assist you in securing your next reservation here at Island Hotel Newport Beach.

Thank you for helping us as we continue our pursuit of perfection!

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This former Four Seasons is now locally managed by the large land-owner, The Irvine Company.

One has to assume that some added depth of proven hotel and food & beverage talent could only improve what are some "good bones."

Running an independent property, with no national reservation network/affiliation, is a true challenge. What also comes with higher end affiliations are standards and a certain vibe.

What's missing here are the little extras - turndown service, daily newspaper delivery, a better front desk greeting, updated restaurants (perhaps partnering with a known local chef or restaurant company), and refreshed room and lobby/lounge furniture.

Again, some great potential.

Room Tip: Water view rooms are very nice
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Good afternoon Valued Guest:

We appreciate your business and are very grateful for your feedback; we view it as a gift!

The hotel is undertaking some incredible enhancements inclusive of our Restaurant and Lobby Lounge. These plans are reflective of the Coastal Luxury Lifestyle enjoyed by all when visiting and or living in Newport Beach. I encourage you to call me directly at 949-760-7950 as I will be happy to share more with you in person!

We provide turndown service, newspapers, cribs, rollaway beds, etc upon request; I am sorry we did not ascertain this information prior to your arrival via our reservations or guest recognition process. Please be assured that we have added these preferences to your personal profile. We embrace “Guest Preferences” in hopes to create exceptional memories for every guest! Please forgive me if we fell short during your stay.

Thank you for helping us as we continue to pursuit perfection!

New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Island Hotel. However, everything about it, the lobby, the restaurant, the elevators, the rooms, the pool, and the gym need updating. It really felt like the glory days are gone for this hotel, but due to its location and nice service, it seems to thrive and survive! The pool area, the chairs, and particularly the gym equipment really need to be redone and replaced. I got a fabulous rate, though, so that was definitely a plus!
The service was nice, everyone was polite, some things took longer than they should have, room service was good, and my room was spacious and I had a fabulous view. So, don't get me wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, but giving an objective critique of the hotel, these are my comments. The rooms are nice and spacious, but could use updating.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
TheIslandHotelNB, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Good Afternoon Valued Guest:

We so appreciate your business and are grateful for your positive feedback concerning the staff and their engagement levels with you and your family! I will be sure to pass it along to the entire hotel!

Regarding your other observations, this too is welcomed and Thank You for sharing!!

Please know that the replacement of all pool cushions was one of our highest priorities prior to the summer season commencing this Memorial Day Weekend. This process is in place and I am happy to report that this will be 100% complete by mid June.

We receive so many positive comments about our gym facility including things such as..."the location, the size and the availability of equipment". I am sorry our current repertoire of products did not meet your workout needs. Clearly today's experienced traveler has the gym on his/her schedule daily, which is why we have funding set aside to enhance this area within the year. Part of the plan is inclusively adding an additional 700 sq feet to the facility as pilates and yogo have become so popular. I hope you have an opportunity to experience the new facility upon your return.

In closing, please reach out to me directly at 949-760-4950 so I may assist you in securing your next reservation here at island Hotel Newport Beach. We have so many new and exciting projects in the pipeline; I am excited to share them with you personally via the telephone.

Thank you for helping us as we continue our pursuit of perfection!

Donald W. Stamets
Newport Coast, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed at The Island Hotel for two nights. It is a lovely property with excellent service. The rooms were beautiful and tasteful. The restaurant and bar areas are both good and there is a beautiful workout room as well as pool area. The best thing is its proximity to anything in Newport Beach especially Fashion Island where there are quite a few restaurants as well as great shopping .It is a very good hotel for business as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Island Hotel Newport Beach? Share your experiences!