“Good But...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Newport Beach

You added Fairmont Newport Beach to your Saves list
Fairmont Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4500 MacArthur Boulevard, Newport Beach, CA 92660 (Formerly Sutton Place Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
3rd Night Free & Upgrade
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Santa Barbara
“Good But...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Good hotel, great food but expensive food, pool is small and not clean, air conditioner not strong in rooms too hot. Full service hotel with good spa services. Room service is great. Very good conference facilities.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont Newport Beach, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us.I'm happy you found the hotel good and the food great, but sorry you found it expensive. I look forward to sharing your feedback with the staff and we hope to welcome you again in the future.
lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

This is a very good hotel chain. Upscale but not too pricey. I had a "staycation" with some girlfriends here it was awesome. Super clean rooms with lots of offerings. It had a DVD player and a fridge. Perfect for a girls get-a-way weekend!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your "staycation" with your girlfriends! Thank you and come join us again in the near future.
Montreal, Quebec
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Property is very clean but tired. We all found that the beds, including pull-out and roll away were extremely uncomfortable. Air conditioner in room is too noisy. We spent 5 nights and did not sleep very well. Do not recommend this hotel if noise is a problem.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont Newport Beach, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I'm sorry to hear the property wasn't up to your standards and particularly the beds. I can imagine the frustration that discomfort caused and for that I apologize. Thanks again for your feedback and please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
New York City, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

First of all, the Fairmont Newport Beach is in Irvine, not Newport Beach, at the John Wayne International Airport. That exaggeration gives one an indication that this property isn't quite what it says it is. 4-5 star hotel? Not the night I stayed there before checking out early and staying at another hotel in (real) Newport Beach.

The property is nice enough and somewhat upscale, but nothing is nearby except office buildings and the airport (the good news: It's quiet). I had a very nice room; a business colleague, like many others on this list, had a substandard room in a part of the hotel that was badly in need of renovations. All valet parking is the only option, an oddity since the parking lot is 50 feet from the front door.

I was greeted by a very, very loud rock and roll band and food/beverage convention affair on the patio at the entrance. Not exactly the spa-like setting one is expecting. Check-in was friendly, professional, quick, but then the problems. It was 8 PM on a Thursday night and the restaurant had already been closed by the restaurant management. The general front desk manager was surprised when informed of this. The restaurant was supposed to have been open until 9 PM and the only option was four small tables squeezed into a small open area near the bar, plus the bar. The one wait person and the bartender, not very busy, were oblivious, somewhat brusque, and seemingly inconvenienced to have to answer questions about dinner options. Options were one: the lounge area composed of sofas, coffee tables and a few high bar tables with high stools, no menus, no servers in sight.

I reluctantly opted for room service: big mistake. A Wasabi Chicken Salad, plate of rolls, and a glass of ice water was delivered within 30 minutes for $27. Only problem was that the kitchen forgot to put any chicken in the salad which was Chinese cabbage, peanuts, wonton strips and soy dressing. Another complaint was politely fielded, some chicken cubes belatedly sent to the room, and the charge waived, but that was an hour after I should have been served dinner in a real restaurant. Furthermore, there was an overarching attitude that I had likely eaten the chicken and was trying to finagle more: they unbelievably didn't put chicken in the chicken salad!

My colleague and I checked out a day early. On the way to the lobby there was a half-consumed bottle of white wine on the floor of the elevator. Horrible stay? Not exactly, but bad service, imperfect oversight/management, and certainly a failure of meeting expectations. But, hey, it's only Irvine, not Newport Beach!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
Green Features: OK, with the menu items healthy/eco conscious (if the restaurant decides to be open, and if room service actually delivers what you've ordered).
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Candid guest feedback is critical to our improvement as a hotel and we certainly value yours. I'm very sorry to hear of the negative stay you had and sincerely apologize. The lack of attention to detail that you experienced is inexcusable and I can understand your frustration. I look forward to sharing your feedback with the staff and I thank you for your insight. I hope you would be willing to return and allow us the opportunity to give you the experience you deserve.
Napa Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

My first time staying at Fairmont Newport Beach. I was very impressed with the staff. The valets were very well trained and welcoming. The front desk staff was very efficient to complete the check-in process. I got off my elevator and was looking for my room, and a staffer immediately asked me what room I was looking for and he provided me with directions as though he could tell I was on my way to my room for the first time. The wait staff in the bar area were equally attentive. I ordered a glass of wine, and without asking I was provided with a taste before committing to the glass. Living in Napa, it is rare to provide a taste when ordering just a glass of wine (without asking). I overheard the wait staff checking with guests about the taste and quality of their food. They offered to take away any dish and replace it with something else if the guest was not happy. Most of the hotel staff I encountered were quite friendly and made an effort to "chat" with guests. I thought this was a nice touch.

My room was very nicely appointed and maintained. There was a DVR already to use. You could tell that the housekeeping staff pays attention to the details.

I was on a quick business trip so I did not have time to investigate the spa and other amenities in the hotel.

Overall, I would highly recommend Fairmont Newport Beach if you need to stay in the area.

Room Tip: I suggest a room on a higher floor and away from the nightclub.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I'm thrilled that you had such a nice time and found the staff so helpful. I can imagine what a nice surprise it was to receive a taste of the wine prior to your selection. Small touches like this can separate a good stay from a great one. Thanks again for your kind words and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

The staff is great very helpful and nice. The room is very clean and pretty. The property is beautiful. Valet only parking. Room has a fridge, dvd player, kuerig coffee maker. The pool area is set up like a true resort..even with wait staff. Over all reasonable prices. The only complaints id have os because its so close to the airport you can hear slightly the occasional plane and the prices in the bar and restaurant are a bit much.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont Newport Beach, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm thrilled to hear you had such a nice stay and found the property beautiful. I look forward to sharing your kind words with the staff, I know they'll be thrilled to hear it.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Good clean hotel with an amazing breakfast buffet and a small but fun, friendly pool. Everything was good except the moth-bitten drapes in the room and the broken, dirty pull out sofa which looked like it was serving 1000s since the 70s. Due to the sensitive nature of my travel companion who had made the reservation, I did not complain while there but called the next day and talked to a manager. I was told that the drapes will be changed in the next few weeks but the pull-out sofa will have to stay until the end of next year when they plan to remodel, sorry and goodbye. OK, so I guess I will have to wait until 2016 to return to this hotel!

Room Tip: Check out the room before you check in. If you need to use the sofa, good luck!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed yourself overall in spite of a couple of challenges you experienced. I'm happy you were able to address some of your issues while on property and come to an appropriate resolution. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com

Been to Fairmont Newport Beach? Share your experiences!