“Very nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Newport Beach

You added Fairmont Newport Beach to your Saves list
Fairmont Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4500 MacArthur Boulevard, Newport Beach, CA 92660 (Formerly Sutton Place Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
3rd Night Free & Upgrade
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
New York City, New York
“Very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Stayed here recently for a wedding. The grounds / common areas are very nice, the wedding and catering piece were fantastic.

Pool was nice with a decent poolside menu. The staff were mainly friendly and the rooms themselves are nice as well as clean. We got a very favorable nightly rate although I don't know if that was because of our involvement with the wedding, the fact that it was California in July, or whether their rates are always reasonable. In relation to the nightly rate we paid, I thought the hotel was just great.

One thing i did not care for, which is a pet peeve of mine, is that they charge 10 bucks to use the internet in the room, yet it is free if you schlep your lap top down to the lobby. Similarly, we called the front desk to ask them a question, and they ended up connecting us to a local business in the area. When we checked out, we were told that there was a $1.50 charge for this local call. When I am away, especially on a non-business trip, there is nothing I hate more than being "nickel and dimed," which was the exact feeling I got from both the internet charges and the $1.50 charge for
being connected on a basic local call.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont Newport Beach, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed the wedding and found the function fantastic. We aim to provide great value to our guests, so it's nice to hear your appreciation. That being said, I'm sorry that you felt "nickel and dimed' and I did want to point out that we do offer complimentary WiFi to members of our Fairmont President's Club Loyalty Program, so I apologize if you weren't made aware of that fact. Thanks again and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.
lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I just recently stayed at the Fairmont Newport Beach on business. The hotel and the service of teh staff where excellent. On a day off we asked Mark from the valet service if he knew of any good restaurants where we could go for breakfast. He pointed us in the direction of an excellent spot on Balboa Island. He was always very helpful in helping us find directions and went out of his way to provide us excellent service.

I will be staying at the Fairmont Newport Beach on my next business trips to the Orange County area due to the excellent quality of the hotel and the staff. I would highly recommend this hotel to any of my collegues who are travelling to the Orange County area.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I'm pleased to hear you found the service excellent and the hotel of high quality. As we pride ourselves on service, I'm very happy to hear of your interaction with Mark. He is a true asset to the team and I look forward to sharing your comments. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Thousand Oaks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Stayed at the Fairmont for my husband's birthday. I was a little worried that it was across from the airport, which I didn't know before I booked it. No worries once we checked in though! Beautiful hotel, very comfortable room and bed. The room was also very quiet, not airport noise at all. The staff recommened a restaurant and made the reservation. Great overall experience!

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. As you mentioned we are conveniently located just a mile away from John Wayne Airport, with easy access to many of Orange County's most desirable attractions. I'm happy you found the hotel beautiful and sound like you plan on returning. Thanks again and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Bloomington, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I was flown out for work training July 6-11 and after reading some reviews this hotel was very average. The main lobby is very nice but the rooms don't feel as nice the carpet and furniture is old. The restaurant is so expensive unless you eat at the lounge which is still pricey. Luckily, the company paid for us to eat or I would've been broke just eating at the hotel. We had a horrible horrible waitress for our first dining night there. You could tell she really hated people who came for business trips she offered us no drinks, she was rude and after one person asked a manager for her to not return to our table she went to talk to another table about us which resulted in quite a scene. This wasn't the first compliant the company I was there with had about a waitress. The manager was very nice and apologetic and when I had her the next day she seemed slightly better but still wasn't very friendly. Our rooms were ok nothing super fancy. The chairs are quite dated and the comforters are lumpy but the beds are really comfortable. The pool was nice but don't expect pool service in the afternoon. We came around 5 and they just waited in there little bar area for us to approach them when earlier in the day they would come out and ask you what you wanted. EVERYTHING HAS 18% TIP INCLUDED so don't tip twice unless you had great service. The shuttle will take you 2 miles to any place and they have scheduled trips to fashion island and balboa island which is only a one mile walk to the ferry that can take you to the ocean.

Stayed July 2014
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont Newport Beach, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I'm happy to hear you were with us for such a long time, but sorry to hear of the challenges you experienced. We aim to provide great service, so I'm troubled to hear of your experiences with the wait staff in our restaurant. That is not representative of the service level we strive to provide and for that I apologize. I'm also sorry to hear of the slowness of service in our pool area. I've forwarded your feedback on to our Director of Operations for review. Thank you again for your comments and I hope you would be willing to return and allow us the opportunity to give you the experience you deserve. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I recently revisited the Fairmont Hotel in Newport Beach, CA. The property has outstanding service, great food and continues to be an excellent value considering its location and brand. It's close to the beautiful beaches and sites of Newport Beach and a stone's throw from John Wayne Airport in Orange County. I highly recommend it!

When you stay in Newport Beach, be sure to drive about 15 minutes south along Pacific Coast Highway and visit The Beachcomber restaurant tucked away at the bottom of Crystal Cove State Park. It's located on the ocean and nestled among the famous cottages where several movies have been made. By the way, be sure to try their coconut pancakes. I'm not a pancake fan, but these are the best in Southern California! Key tip: Park on the east side of PCH in the Cystal Cove State Park parking lot and take the shuttle bus down to the Beachcomber. If you show your receipt from the Beachcomber restaurant, parking is free. The shuttle bus costs $1 per person each way. You can walk back up the hill. It's about a 12 minute walk and you can walk-off your breakfast!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to their junior suites. Great rooms!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont Newport Beach, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. It sounds like you had a wonderful experience at the hotel and we were able to exceed your expectations. We aim to provide excellent value to our guests so I'm pleased to hear you agreed. We feel fortunate to be located near not only John Wayne Airport, but also many of Newport Beach's most sought after attractions. Thanks again for your kind words and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised with my recent stay at the Fairmont Hotel. Although the location was not at the beach but rather 3 min to John Wayne airport it was still lovely. The room was nice and the bed luxurious.
Great linens and pillows for a terrific rest. The staff of this hotel is amazing. Kathleen in the bamboo lounge provides great overly friendly service. Just having her wait on you makes you feel at home and wanting to come back. The value, staff, and ambiance of this hotel makes one wonder why the beach???? Try the Fairmont.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. We are thrilled to hear you had such a nice stay and sound like you plan on returning. We pride ourselves on delivering excellent service and it sounds like we did just that during your stay. I will definitely share you kind words about Kathleen with the staff, I know they'll be thrilled to hear it. Thanks again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Gilbert
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Loved the location and the hotel in general. Would recommend to all my frieinds. Great spa area and pool. Very friendly and responsive to needs. Great desserts in the restaurant. Close to John Wayne airport.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

FairmontNewportBeach, at Fairmont Newport Beach, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. We are pleased to hear you had a great stay with us. I look forward to sharing your feedback with the staff, I know they'll be thrilled to hear it. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back.
lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com

Been to Fairmont Newport Beach? Share your experiences!