From the exterior, this property has appealing architecture and beautifully landscaped grounds. Once inside though and past the lobby, this changes to one of disrepair and poorly trained staff. The common areas were quite unkempt.
We have stayed at this property in the past and thought we would give it another chance. We were very disappointed. Little has changed over the years.
We travel regularly for pleasure and stay approximately 70 nights a year in a variety of hotels from Hilton, Starwood all the way up to the Viceroy , Ritz Carlton, and Four Seasons. We know what to expect at each price point and felt that we did not receive fair value at this property.
The room that we were given on the first night was unacceptable. The noise was so loud from the generators and fans outside the window that the room felt as if it were vibrating. We had a similar experience on a previous stay and as a result connected with the reservations manager prior to our visit to request a quiet room on a different wing away from this equipment. I simply cannot understand how our request was overlooked when our room was assigned. We know that we cannot be guaranteed a specific room but in this case there appeared to have been no attempt at accommodating our request. On the second night we were moved to the wing we had requested. This location was much better except for the planes taking off from 7am at John Wayne airport. If the sliding doors closed properly this would likely eliminate much of the noise.
Some of the rooms are worn and in need of an upgrade. The standard room we were given on the first night following our displeasure with the noisy suite was in much better condition than the suite we were given on the second night of our stay. It seems as if there have been no renovations or upgrades in years even though other reviewers indicate receiving an upgraded room. The blackout curtains in our room were so disintegrated and full of holes that they looked like a doily. The heating/air conditioning units rattled and smelled foul. We opened the windows instead. The bathrooms were the only part of the suite that met our expectations for a Fairmont.
Housekeeping was inconsistent and lacking. Dirty glasses were removed and not replaced, an empty tissue box was not replaced even though we left it out for the housekeeper to see, and we noticed that there were no recycling bins in the room at all. We struggled with getting feather pillows in each room we were assigned over the weekend only to have housekeeping remove them from the bed after their service. Admittedly when issues were raised, staff was quick to respond.
The breakfast buffet was very weak in its offerings and in its preparation. We have enjoyed other buffets in the area (for example the Hilton South Coast Plaza). The Fairmont's was inconsistent in preparation and service. Restaurant staff definitely needs more training for the caliber of this hotel.
The valet and front desk staff though are the shining stars of this property. They were always courteous and very efficient.
As mentioned, we are regular travellers and have high expectations of properties like the Fairmont. To say that we were disappointed is an understatement. We would not have been at all surprised had we been compensated for the first night stay given the issues with our suite. That offer was never made nor was any offer extended for a future stay. Either would have been a welcome gesture of goodwill. There was no follow-up response from management to an email outlining our disappointment with the property.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Newport Beach Hotel Newport Beach
- Fairmont Newport Beach Hotel
- Fairmont Newport
- Newport Beach Fairmont
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fairmont Newport Beach hotel in Southern California radiates a dramatic feel from both an architectural and design standpoint. Each and every aspect is designed to surround you in total 'O.C.' luxury. To complete the luxury hotel experience, the Fairmont Newport Beach hotel is thrilled to also offer its full-service urban Spa, Amadeus Spa & Salon. With more than 8,000 square feet of space, the Spa features eight decadent spa treatment rooms offering the finest in spa services and using only the finest in products and techniques. Prepare to be pampered like never before! Fairmont Newport Beach hotel welcomes you to the charm and allure of Southern California with its sun-drenched beaches, world-class shopping, and exciting nightlife! Fairmont Newport Beach hotel offers 440 luxury guest rooms, including 54 exquisite suites, most feature over-sized soaking tubs. Fairmont Newport Beach is also gaining favor as one of the most ideal locations for weddings. Of all the special moments of your life, there are very few that approach the importance of your wedding day. Having your wedding with us in beautiful Newport Beach means it will be filled with the class and elegance you've always dreamed of. All guests receive daily courtesy shuttle service to and from John Wayne Airport, Fashion Island, South Coast Plaza, The District and Balboa Island. For rental car information, please contact on-site Hertz Rent-a-Car. Fairmont Newport Beach offers wireless Internet access available in all of our meeting rooms, as well wireless high-speed Internet access in each guestroom. Year-round, guests can enjoy relaxing at the hotel's Palms Pool and Cabanas. The re-designed self-serviced Business Center accommodates the needs of its corporate guests. To best enjoy our Newport Beach, California hotel's amenities and the riches of Orange County, consider one of our many appealing packages available and maximize your visit to the OC. Complimentary "Green" Parking: Overnight guests who drive hybrid vehicles can enjoy free parking at the Fairmont Newport Beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Splendia, Travelocity, Tingo, Otel, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Venere, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Fairmont Newport Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.