“Pretty mediocre” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Newport Beach

Save Saved
You added Fairmont Newport Beach to your Saves list
Fairmont Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4500 MacArthur Boulevard, Newport Beach, CA 92660 (Formerly Sutton Place Hotel)   |
Ranked #13 of 17 hotels in Newport Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Pretty mediocre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Just finished a multi-night business stay at the Fairmont. My third stay in the last few years.

Here is a rundown of the good and the bad

The good:
* The hotel and the room were very clean
* Check in was fast, friendly and efficient
* The staff was generally friendly in all areas
* Food at the downstairs restaurant was OK
* Rates are reasonable

The average/bad:
* The king bed room was reasonably small and cramped
* No self parking. Strange given that the entire area is essentially one huge parking lot.
* The hotel shop was very expensive. $20 for a travel size toothpaste and deodorant? Even the Four Seasons does not charge this much
* Room had some noticeable wear and tear and missing items (ie no remote control, etc)

Overall, just a very bland and non-memorable experience. I would stay elsewhere in Newport Beach if I can during my next journey.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont Newport Beach, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. It sounds like your stay with us was somewhat uneven. I’m pleased to hear you found your room nice and bambú restaurant delicious. We pride ourselves on our service so it’s great to hear of your experience with our staff. I apologize for the condition of your room; there is certainly no excuse for that. I’d like to get some more information about your particular room. If you would email me at lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again and I anxiously await your response.

720 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights while visiting Newport Beach. I am an extremely discerning person in regards to hotels. I was concerned about the negative reviews here. However the experience we had was positive.

The pool area is very trendy and well kept. There are yellow cabanas that you can enjoy the day under (included in the cost of the room). Their is pool side service but one day it was very slow. There is a large firepit in the pool area which is nice at night.

The rooms were clean but not modern.

The workout room is rather large and had plenty of equipment.

They have a pretty nice tea and coffee option in the front lobby that is included in the room fee.

I did not like the valet only option but the valet guys were quick and courteous.

The location is very close to John Wayne Airport but not close to the beaches.

Overall it's an ok hotel. If you want a nice pool area, this is your hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont Newport Beach, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It sounds like you had a nice stay with us overall but found some aspects of the property challenging. We have invested heavily in our pool and workout area, so I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed them. As you mentioned we are very centrally located with close proximity to both the airport and beaches. I can understand your preference for additional parking options, but I’m pleased to hear you found the valet staff quick and courteous. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Great property supported by great staff including by far my favorite team of valet folks in the biz. Headed by team leader Mike (can't recall his last name but a great guy who never forgets yours), this team of valet guys (I think all guys though a woman or two wouldn't hurt) are always ready, willing and able to get you what you want, where you want to go and fast...!!! I recently had the pleasure of getting a ride to Wild fish Restaurant with "Big Mike (with the beard)" not to be mistaken with manager Mike (without the beard). Big Mike was a veryt engaging individual who made it his business to make sure all y needs were being looked after. He asked the right questions, offered up great recommendations and was basicall a fun distraction on my way to dinner. Bottom line, regular Mike (the manager) has groomed a great team to ensure a stay at the Fairmont Newport Beach is the best it can be...Two big thumbs up to the two Mikes!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the tennis court
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. It sounds like you had a great time and found our services useful. We strive to provide excellent service and I know our team will be thrilled to hear of your experience! Excellent service can definitely separate a great stay from a good one. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Brea, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this location on a weekend night to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary. Please note we used United Airline points for this stay (think priceline). We had a great stay! The hotel does charge for parking – could be a bit of a hassle HOWEVER we took our electric LEAF there and valet parking is FREE at all Fairmont hotels with any kind electric hybrid car – very cool. Our room was very nice with a large balcony for us to sit and enjoy the morning. Loved the in room coffee and every one of the staff we ran into was great. We will be back for another special occasion again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks very much for your kind words about the hotel and happy anniversary! I’m thrilled to hear you chose to share your special occasion with us! As you mentioned, Fairmont strives to be a leader in green business and sustainability and welcome electric and hybrid vehicles to park free of charge. I’m pleased to hear you were able to enjoy a room with a balcony as they are a great way to enjoy the beautiful Southern California weather. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Mission Viejo, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed at the Fairmont for a local wedding and it was decent. I got a reasonable rate thru Hotwire.com so I kinda expected the parking lot view. But I asked for a non-smoking room in the non-smoking portion of the hotel and guess what I smell in the hallways and in my room upon my arrival? Smoke. Luckily I had some perfume in my bag and I turned on the AC but it was a bit stinky. The room was nice but no mini fridge of goodies and a $7 bottle of water awaited me. Before I feel asleep I cranked the AC down low for white-noise and I like it cool and somewhere in the middle of the night it reset back to 68 degrees which was hot and stuffy so that was a bummer. Overall, its a nice hotel but there are nicer ones locally.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for your feedback on your recent stay. I’m pleased to hear you were able to get a great rate from Hotwire. Many people are not aware, but the best available rate online is always available on our website. I’m pleased to hear you found your room of high quality, but apologize for the smokiness of the hallway. Thanks again and we hope to host you again in the near future.
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I spent three days at the hotel last week while on a business trip. I checked in after a day of travel. Entered my room, and looked for a cold drink in the mini-bar. No such thing. Inside the chipped dresser cabinet was a small refrigerator. Down an endless hall, turned right into another long hall, down the elevator to the gift shop/newsstand, to buy some diet cokes. For $3.17 plus tax each, I bought a few diet cokes. Left me with a feeling of being had.

The good news was that the surprising small Bambu restaurant was quite nice. Most of the hotel staff was friendly. My room was clean.

The bad news was that the wake-up call I left for the morning must have been hiding along with the mini-bar. The hotel is very close to the John Wayne Airport. It is not close to much else. There are no nearby (walking distance) restaurants, shops or convenience stores.

The room had not been upgraded for modern electronic needs. A single six outlet box had been placed over the usual duplex outlet by the desk. Nothing by the bed for your phone etc.

Room Tip: Perhaps some rooms have been upgraded.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. It sounds like your stay with us was somewhat uneven. I’m pleased to hear you found your room nice and bambú restaurant delicious. We pride ourselves on our service so it’s great to hear of your experience with our staff. I apologize for the experience with the missed wake up call. There is certainly no excuse for that. Thanks again and I hope you would be willing to return and give you the experience you deserve.
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights having booked 2 connecting rooms for a birthday celebration for my Mom. I feel like this hotel was a mix of good and bad. First the good: the location was great if you want something inland with easy access to all of the beach areas, the rooms were nicely renovated and appointed, as it was a birthday they put a delicious dessert in my Mom's room unexpectedly which was a nice touch, the pool area is lovely and the restaurant ambiance is ballroom'esque but modern. The staff is very understanding, listens, and does their best. Now for the bad: When I entered my NONSMOKING room it smelled like smoke. They could not change us so housekeeping came up to spray febreeze which helped a bit. The valet parking fee is ridiculous and you could easily self park if they would allow it. The fee is $28 a day or $18 a day on the weekend. We didn't have problem getting our car in time if we called ahead about 10 minutes. The valet guys/bell guys did NOTHING-- they don't offer to help you unload your luggage and they sit there watching you. I have never stayed at a nice more luxurious style hotel where they didn't assist you with anything. The check-in staff asked, but by then you have already lugged your bags inside and are halfway to your room! The restaurant is super expensive-- an a la carte bfast is $23 on average and a regular coffee is $5. You may as well order room service or get a package that includes dining credit. My biggest gripe is that on Saturday night a wedding was hosted at the property that was extremely inconsiderate as the music was 10 decibels too loud and vibrated the guest rooms above. The music was outside near the pool area on a patio and at 10pm we complained as we couldn't sleep. They promised to ask the DJ to turn down the music (Which of course never happened no matter how apologetic the staff sounded) and the music turned off at 11pm. If you are going for a peaceful and restful weekend away from your noisy children-- then blaring dance music does not qualify as relaxing. I was very pleased though when I complained in the morning and asked to speak to the manager, Joshua at the front desk was able to refund me part of my stay. I feel that this was a generous and reasonable resolution. Overall, I liked the property, but I think they still have a lot of learning to do-- also, if you don't appreciate dogs, you may not want to stay here as they are very pet friendly and I saw at least 6 barking, walking, etc. over the weekend.

Room Tip: I liked overlooking the pool, but beware of PRIVATE EVENTS with loud music!!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us and for being a loyal Fairmont customer. We take great pride in the all aspects of our hotel and guest’s experiences, so we take your feedback very seriously. I’m happy to hear you found our location central and the rooms lovely. We pride ourselves in our service, so I am happy to hear you found the staff competent and empathetic. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the odors in your room. I’m also sorry to hear of the issues you experienced with our valet/bell staff. I would like to put you in touch with the hotel manager so that he might discuss your situation personally. If you could email at lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for your comments and I anxiously await your response.
Lucas Schumacher

Been to Fairmont Newport Beach? Share your experiences!