“An Oasis in the Middle of the Business District” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Newport Beach

You added Fairmont Newport Beach to your Saves list
Fairmont Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4500 MacArthur Boulevard, Newport Beach, CA 92660 (Formerly Sutton Place Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
20% Off Room/Food & Drink
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
West Yellowstone, Montana
“An Oasis in the Middle of the Business District”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I spent 9 nights at this hotel in early October, and loved our stay. Our room was an elegant Junior Suite on the 10th floor in the corner, and was roomy and very quiet. We had a large balcony with a table and two chairs, and the most comfortable King bed I have ever slept in. I can’t say enough about this bed, it was BEYOND WONDERFUL! The bed was soft and cloud-like, although not too soft, and the bedding was light and airy, yet warm enough. The bathroom was large, with two sinks, a tub, and a walk in shower. The toilet was in a separate little room. The only suggestion I would have to spruce up the bathroom would be to provide a chair or bench to make the counter top into a “vanity” near the makeup mirror. Our room was clean when we checked in, and was kept very clean for the 9 nights we were there.

The location of the hotel is convenient to many things. It’s only a mile from the Orange County Airport, and is just a few minutes from Fashion Island, one of the area’s large malls in an outdoor setting. It’s two blocks from Jamboree Road, one of the main streets running through Newport Beach, Irvine, and northeast. Any type of business you’d need is located on Jamboree.

The day we checked in, we were warmly welcomed and the bellman assisted us to our room with our luggage. I asked front desk staff if they could send up another chair, as my husband and I both wanted to use our laptop computers at the same time at the desk in the room. We went out for the day, came back and an additional chair was already placed at the desk.

The air conditioning unit was a bit loud, but efficient. There was some room noise from the room next door, but not too much. (We were in a corner room so only shared one wall with another room.) I see others complaining about noise from adjoining rooms, so maybe it’s something engineering can address in the future. The elevators were quick, and with six of them running, everyone was accommodated reasonably fast.

The Bambu Restaurant on site was wonderful. The food was delicious, and the servers were very attentive and made some great suggestions when we couldn’t decide on various items. From Susan in the restaurant, to Ana and Amanda in the lounge, we were treated like long lost friends, instead of merely customers. Chad, the Food and Beverage Manager, was very attentive and friendly as well. Our package deal included a $20 daily Food and Beverage Credit, so we tried out various drinks and appetizers at the lounge. The Seasonal California Cheese Plate was elegantly prepared, and had the most wonderful variety of cheeses on it. The price was $15, but with our credit it was free! There was a great choice of desserts…such as the Warm Buttered Rum Cake! The Filet Mignon was so tender, you could cut it with a fork, and was flavorful and juicy. My favorite salad was the Organic Spinach Leaves, which was made with: Frisée, Candied California Pistachios, California Dates, Drake Family Farm Goat Cheese, and Strawberry Vinaigrette dressing. SO GOOD!! Breakfast at the Bambu was presented very well and was delicious. We ordered off the menu, so can’t comment on the buffet.

The valet staff was always quick, professional and attentive, and had our car to us within minutes of us asking for it.

To address some of the previous reviews: Yes, the Fairmont is expensive. It is a luxury hotel, luxury hotels are pricey. However, if you research your stay, you can save a bundle. Tip #1: Join the President’s Club! It’s free, and it gives you some pretty nice perks, such as free Internet Service. I see many reviewers complaining about the daily Internet charge, which would have been free if they’d only signed up for the President’s Club. Tip #2: Book a package that includes valet parking! Although you should tip the valet attendants, you probably won’t spend $28 a day doing so. Tip #3: Don’t go through a “discount travel” site, book through www.fairmont.com and search for a package that fits your needs. You can get just as good, or better, discounts directly from the Fairmont chain and it’s much easier to change reservations if needed, or cancel altogether if you need to. Someone complained about the $7.00 bottle of water in their room. Tip #4 is simple: Don’t drink it! There is free water in the lobby, and if you have a car and use the valet service, the attendants hand out free bottled water as they send you off for your day.

We enjoyed sitting on our balcony in the evening, looking over the city lights and watching the planes land and take off from Orange County Airport, and can’t wait to be able to do it again. Good job, Fairmont Newport Beach, you impressed us!

Room Tip: Book through the Fairmont website, and select a Junior Suite with the package you'd like. You w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lauren C, Director of Sales at Fairmont Newport Beach, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Carolynwillis-
Thank you so very much for your recent review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us - you noted the areas we feel set us apart from other hotels in the area. We strive to provide personalized, outstanding service to each of our guests and I can see we hit the nail on the head with you and your husband! Thank you for staying with us - we truly appreciate it. I will share your feedback with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Best,
Lauren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Somewhere, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is the review I sent to the Newport Beach Fairmont, following my stay in September 2012. I have yet to receive a response, which is fine, because I'm never staying there again...

I was extremely dissatisfied with the ventilation in the room. I was told my room was a non-smoking room, and indeed I (nor my roommate smoked), but every time someone in a nearby room smoked, our room was inundated with a strong smoky smell. So much so, that when I returned home, it took a week to get my suitcase to stop smelling like smoke and my husband asked me where I had been that I smelled so much like smoke.
Needless to say I was extremely dissatisfied. It got so overwhelming at one point, that we called the front desk to complain and remind them that although this was a non-smoking room, it smelled of smoke in the presence of NON-smokers. I called because I didn't want to be charged the cleaning fee for an issue that we didn't cause. To her credit, the hostess was helpful, told us that it was likely due to the rooms nearby having smokers (hence its infiltration into our room via the bathroom ducts) and asked if we wanted to be moved. Well, it was midnight when we got back and called and we weren't interested in moving that night.
I was generally very displeased with this whole scenario as I would expect much higher quality insulation between rooms at the Fairmont. (On a related note, I could hear whole conversations in the rooms next to me, and they weren't screaming, the walls were just extremely thin. Also a point of disappointment for me at this particular Fairmont.)
I was also very disappointed in the fact that as a President's Club (loyal and returning) member, I was even placed in such a room. I understand that I was traveling with a conference, but even when I'm not, I'll choose a Fairmont and to think that I'm going to be downgraded when attending professional conferences is beyond me.
So my recommendations are the following:
1. Create much stronger seals between smoking/non-smoking rooms.
2. Stop placing guests in room 117 (or rooms with similar problems) until you fix the ventilation issue.
3. NEVER put your President's Club loyalty members in rooms you know are garbage.
This is my second problem with Fairmont not doing their job on the deeper levels. In principle, I really like the hotels, but they have one last strike before I take my loyalty to someone else.

Room Tip: If you're a non-smoker do NOT choose room 117 (and likely any of the rooms along that hallway...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on business due to its proximity to airport and the fact that it's a Fairmont. The hotel is ok, rooms could have passed for a Hyatt or Hilton. Nice bar/lounge area for relaxing or working. Then biggest issue I had was the "restaurant" for breakfast. There was a 12 person wait at 8am on a weekday when the tables were only 1/3 full. The service was nonexistent to be seated and I witnessed several parties leave before seating out of frustration. And dinner the night before was lackluster at best. Surely the management can do better! This was not a good representation of the Fairmont brand. (see my review of the San Jose Fairmont, a world apart). I might stay here again, but will certainly make other arrangements for meals. I would not entertain clients at this location.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Henderson,nv
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Booked thru priceline and called a head to request a king and asked again at check in. Was told kings were all sold out. After checking in, I decided to see if I tried to book a room online right now would it let me book a room with a king. Quess what the answer is yes. so they just want to screw people who have been screwed by priceline thinking they were getting a hotel in Newport but actually getting this joke of a hotel in Irvine. They don't even want priceline customers here. Every answer they give is sarcastic with the answer well you booked through priceline. Well never again for priceline or this crappy hotel. The last thing I wanted to do on my Aniversary was sleep in a double bed! This sucks... Oh and pay some some I don't want to park my car $30 a day.

Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Rooms are spacious and this place would be worth consideration for an overnight on business if you are flying out of John Wayne Airport for it's convenience.. although its clearly not five stars and you could do better elsewhere for the price..

In three days,
- they didn't pick up a food cart that was left in the hall for nearly 24 hours despite a request.
- the breakfast "buffet" was very ordinary.. refresh the food?!
- the concierge desk was poorly attended

Also, the whole place is very dated.. ohh yes.. think brown and gold carpet motif.. To cap it off, a call down to reception requesting a 1:00PM checkout was met with "we will charge you if you are not out by 12:30.. Really?? Five star??

Dallas, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights weekend , The hotel is very busy with wading and it has only one option for parking , Valley parking, so plan to wait for 10-15mins for your car even if you call ahead. we first got a room overlooking the Roof , then when we asked for a different room, the other choice was overlooking the parking lot. The hotel is near the Airport and you can still hear the airplane and the noises in the hallway and next room , not enough isolation between rooms. otherwise it's close to the Highway and short drive to beach. and has standard room with flat TV and small bathroom. not a 5 stars

Tustin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed at the Fairmont last weekend as a staycation surprise for my friends birthday and it was fantastic. The service was personal, professional, and sincere. Everything about the property was pristeen and of high quality. The bathroom amenities are very high end...liked the lotion very much and found that an 8 oz bottle is $65.00 so the 1.4 oz in the room is $10 alone. Appreciated the complimentary coffee service in the lobby...great coffee.

We were VERY well taken care of and would absolutely stay at the Fairmont again and I will recommend this property to friends, family, and colleagues as a result of the service received. Well done and thank you for a GREAT weekend!

Room Tip: We didn't have a balcony, but would choose a balcony room next time as they are quite large and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairmont Newport Beach? Share your experiences!