“Good location by Fashion Island Mall” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good location by Fashion Island Mall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Clean hotel with a very friendly staff. Great location - easy to get to most places in Newport. Very convenient to walk across the street to Fashion Island Mall.
Nice area to go for a run - easy to run to Balboa Island, which had cute shops and restaurants.
Didn't make it to the pool - but looked nice.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed last July 28, 2014, checked out July 30, 2014. The hotel is nice. Good location, right across Fashion Island. I actually am doing this review because my dad's ipad got lost...

I stayed with my parents at room 362. I left July 29. My parents checked out July 30, they left for Monterey.

After their Monterey trip, we met at Marriot Los Angeles Airport August 2 so we could get shuttle service to LAX next day. We learned and realized we left the Ipad at Marriot hotel and spa Newport. I immediately called Marriott Newport to ask if the Ipad was surrendered. Unfortunately none was turned over at lost prevention department. I requested an update and havent gotten any since.

With this review, I am hoping they will get back at me.

If found, then I will make a new review...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DebbieSnavely, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for reaching out to us via TripAdvisor. I am so happy you did because our Loss Prevention team has been attempting to contact you to let you know we have your iPad. Please see my private message with further instructions so that we can return it to you as soon as possible. We look forward to welcoming you back again next time you are in Newport Beach!
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Stayed there for a couple of days in January 2014. Overall average hotel that seem to be overpriced for the quality and service. Rooms are fair. Service is average. We had problems with internet connections. Even though it was at an additional cost, we were only able to connect a limited number of devices... There are probably better choices in the area...

Stayed January 2014
DebbieSnavely, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay earlier this year. I am sorry to hear you experienced multiple issues, and that your overall experience did not exceed your expectations. Since you have stayed with us, we have renovated all guest rooms and made improvements to our internet service. We would love to welcome you back next time you are in the area and provide you with the exceptional experience I know our team can deliver!
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

My family (wife and two kids age 3 and 4 months) checked in on the Fourth of July to enjoy some much needed time away from the brutal Arizona heat. After a day at the beach, we came back to our room around 4:00pm to get showered and ready for dinner. We started hearing loud music in our room, which wasn't really that big of a deal. Shortly thereafter, a strong odor of marijuana started coming into our room. The room beneath us had about 8 adults on the balcony smoking weed and doing shots. We were forced to shut out balcony door and not able to enjoy the beautiful breeze. I made my first call to the front desk and was told the problem would be address promptly.

We came back from dinner around 8:00pm and were once again overwhelmed by the smell of marijuana in our room. We could not even watch the fireworks from our room because we couldn't open our balcony door. I made my second call to the front desk and was once again assured the issue would be taken care of.

The next morning we got up early and opened our balcony door, only to discover they were out there again smoking marijuana. I finally went down to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager face to face. I can't remember the gentleman's name, but he told me that they usually evict the guests for this type of activity and was not sure why that didn't happen last night. For the third time, I was assured the issue would be taken care of.

We decided to hang out by the pool until we checked out. We got back to the room around 12:00pm and the room was overwhelmed by the smell of marijuana. When we went down to check out, I spoke with the manager one last time. He said he was sorry and offered to give me 10,000 reward points for our troubles (only being offered 10,000 points was another insult in my opinion).

A month later, the points were never credited to my account. The hotel is very nice, I'll gladly admit that. The rooms were clean and the pool area was fun. But I am disgusted that I had to subject my two very young children to marijuana smoke because the hotel was too afraid to do anything about it. This hotel is not cheap, so I am extremely disappointed in the way they handled this. A fun family getaway turned into a stress-filled stay at what is supposed to be a nice resort.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DebbieSnavely, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I am deeply concerned by the situation you described. Our hotel, like all Marriott Hotels, is non-smoking, and we take these issues very seriously. I am sorry you were not able to enjoy your vacation because of this incident, and would like to discuss the matter with you personally and make sure we make things right. Please see my direct message with my contact information. I look forward to connecting with you soon.
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

This hotel offered a lot and a lot within walking distance! The location and close proximity to the Fashion Island Mall gives you tons of dining options, not to mention the SHOPPING. You're less than 10 minutes to the Newport Beach peninsula, and only 15 minutes to Huntington Beach.

There're two swimming pools for guests and an additional, smaller pool for those using the hotel's spa services. There is a Starbuck's just off of the main lobby, with a friendly staff.
Lots of areas to sit and relax or have a drink throughout the hotel property. A few spots even have ocean views.

The room was nice! Just enough room for the two of us. The golf course to the rear of the proterty just about guarantees a quieter environment than most other hotels in the area can offer. The toiletries provided were a nice touch. Parking was not horrible but not great. If your room is in the main tower, it's a bit of a walk. The $25 per night hurts a little.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main tower. You will have a better view. Although it will be farther away f...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa is about everything you would expect from a Marriott. It is clean and updated with attentive service and friendly people in all of the service areas. We were there on a Thursday and Friday night and the hotel was busy with several business events during the day and weddings and social gatherings in the evening. The service level remained high, but lines for reception, valet and bellhop required a wait. The hotel bar is nice and was lively on Saturday night. There is an option to park your own car which is not true at all hotels in Newport Beach. I really enjoy the lemon/cucumber water in the lobby, but would recommend that they stock the glasses later into the evening. If you're not attending a function in the lobby, having a room a few floors up is advised so you are not bothered by the noise. Also, there is construction just adjacent on one side of the hotel so a room on the other side of the hotel is advised if you wish to sleep in. Fashion Island is across the street for some great shopping.

Room Tip: Stay away from the construction if you wish to sleep past 8:00.
Exeter, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I stayed here for a conference in July 2014. The service was good, the location was great. My only concern is that California is in drought status and there seemed to be no concern about conserving water. Towels that were hung up (which usually means - I'll use again), were replaced with fresh towels. Normally I would like this, but with the drought in CA, I thought this was a bit thoughtless. I would stay here again,.

Room Tip: There could be bands playing by the pool. If you want a quiet room, ask for rooms away from pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!