“Good hotel but full of conferences! Noisy!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Sydney, Australia
“Good hotel but full of conferences! Noisy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stayed here recently for 4 days so we could discover the OC beaches and also visit Disney.

The hotel is obviously an older property that has been pretty'd up on the outside. You can tell by the hotel room, building and the pool area that it's an older property (which is fine).

Pool area is nice and clean. Rooms are a bit on the small side.

Here are my gripes:

- The bar next to the main restaurant was so LOUD I couldn't hear myself think. Any particular reason you need FOUR flatscreen TVs blasting noise in a small bar with no carpeting etc is beyond me. I didn't even stay to order a drink.

- This is a big conference hotel. I felt like I was almost in the way half the time of conference delegates racing around from lobby to outside and back.

- The huge central atrium (which all rooms surround) is used for conferences and functions including microphone/speakers/loud music. There's not escape from the noise.

- Biggest gripe: one night they had live music playing until 11pm....OUTSIDE. We couldn't get to sleep until well after midnight as our child was so upset.

I'm all for live music but keep it inside where noise can be contained.

It's a nice hotel but it's nothing amazing. Proximity to Fashion Island is obviously a plus.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DebbieSnavely, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your Orange County & Disney vacation! I am glad you were pleased with our location and got to enjoy the pool. It’s one of my favorite spots on property to enjoy this fantastic summer weather! Like most hotels in the area, summer is the most active time of year, and that means we welcome those on vacation as well as those travelling for business. The team works very hard to make sure each individual guest has an exceptional experience, and I am sorry if we failed to provide that for you. The music should not have played past 10pm, so I will take that back to the appropriate departments to make sure we fix that moving forward. I hope you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Turkish first
Littleton, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Not sure where to start! Have been a repeat customer at this location for years! We came for a personal family trip. Checked in for one night before heading to Santa Barbara. We had two rooms. My teenage daughter left 3 new dresses in the closet at checkout. When we came back one night later to the hotel we asked about our daughter's lost dresses. We spoke to management on several different times during our next two night stay to no resolve about the missing dresses. We understand that it was our mistake to leave our personal belongings behind. It is also another issue of trust with the hotel staff. We had several issues at this hotel in addition to missing items...another with the elevator being broken, another with our room not cleaned during our stay. We will never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Be sure to use the safe for any belongings you care about or want to return home with
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I am very disappointed to hear about the issues you encountered during your stay last week. I regret that any guest would feel this way about our hotel’s staff, as I have the utmost confidence in our associates’ integrity and honesty. I know you have been in contact with our Director of Rooms Operations and Loss Prevention, and I am also more than happy to speak with you should you like to discuss the matter further. Please contact the hotel and ask for me personally. I do not take your loyalty to our hotel lightly and hope we can find a way to regain your trust so that you can continue staying at our hotel in the future.
Chandler, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

After being told that the "ocean view" room we reserved was not available and the hotel would not make an adjustment in the cost for room without a view (that cost significantly less) we trudged off to find a small room that was not comfortable. One desk chair was the only place to sit. At 3 am two guests started screaming in the hallway and then about 20 minutes later started breaking plates and glasses in the concrete hallway. I know the hotel can't control its guests, but when I stuck my head out the door to make sure that someone wasn't being hurt, I was told by a Marriott staffer in a loud, rude voice to "get back inside your room," as if I was the problem! No apology from either the staffer or the security guard that had been summoned. This noise went on for about an hour and we were not able to get back to sleep at all. When I spoke with the front desk personnel later that morning hoping to at least get an apology if not an adjustment to the bill for a less than restful night, all I got was, "Oh yeah, I heard about that [incident].

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
First, I would like to apologize for the unpleasant stay you had at our hotel recently. It sounds like your problems began with check-in and continued throughout. That is certainly not reflective of our high standards of service and guest experience. I would like to personally connect with you to discuss your stay in further detail. Please call my office at (949) 729-3522. Thank you for your feedback and I hope we will be able to serve you again in the future.
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The front desk staff, bell staff and wait staff, along with anyone else you encountered who worked at this hotel, provided superior, friendly and helpful service. I was there for a business meeting so the location was not particularly relevant. We had catered meals by the hotel for two lunches and one dinner. All were served in style and in lovely surroundings.

The room and bathroom were updated and the mattress quite comfortable.

The only item marring my stay was some sort of electronic "chirping" in my room at odd and obnoxious hours of the night. I mentioned to the hotel staff and they changed the battery in the smoke detector but it still went off the last night at 4:30 a.m. I'm not sure what the source is but for a light sleeper, it is a problem.

The only other item that prevents a five star rating is the common practice among these types of hotels for charging you very high prices for what business travelers require, i.e. internet service and copies. I refuse to give a 5 star in protest of this practice.

But the staff was lovely.

Room Tip: My room was quiet except for the obnoxious chirping noise. Room 430
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for the wonderful comments surrounding your recent stay and meeting experience. I am thrilled you enjoyed the newly-renovated guest rooms and took special notice of the exceptional staff service. We take great pride in providing warm and friendly service in every department, and I will be sure to share your feedback with everyone! It also makes me very happy to see how much you enjoyed the meal functions at your meeting, as I feel it is another area that sets us apart from other hotels. Lastly, we will inspect your room to make sure everything is working properly moving forward. I hope we get to welcome you back next time you are in Newport Beach!
Utsunomiya, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is a tired property that only has fashion island to save it. The location is OK but there are better ones in Southern California, This hotel is kind of confused as it is not a pure business hotel, not a really good location for a meeting, not romantic enough for couples and not really above average in any aspect. I have been here before and if it was not a Mariott I would not stay here as I get gold benefits, I complained about the bed and they did NOTHING and ended up with back pain. Glad to check out and would never come back. Held a meeting here 56 years ago and I swear it is the same bed. Just a terrible place that could be so much better.

Room Tip: don't go here if you have any choice
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
DebbieSnavely, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Guest,
I am sorry to see you did not your stay at our hotel. We take great pride in providing exceptional service and comfortable accommodations for our guests, and I regret that we did not meet your expectations. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss your experience in further detail.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Stayed here for a short 3 day conference which was very well run by the hotel. They provided great meals and snacks as well as excellent service around the hotel. The rooms were comfortable and well maintained allowing for a good night's rest.

Stayed July 2014
juleemay, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for your recent review and the great feedback about your stay with us. Our staff strives to exceed our guests’ expectations and we’ll be sure to let them know you enjoyed their hospitality. It’s nice to hear that you had an enjoyable conference. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to Fresno!

Julee May
Las Vegas Valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

For the area, this hotel had lots to offer my family of 4. (my wife, our too young daughters, and me)

The location and close proximity to the Fashion Island Mall gives you tons of dining options, not to mention the SHOPPING. You're less than a 5 minutes away from Balboa Island, 10 minutes to the Newport Beach peninsula, and only 15 minutes to Huntington Beach.

This hotel gives lots of options for dining and recreation in the area. Two swimming pools for guests and an additional, smaller pool for those using the hotel's spa services. If you have younger children, check out the smaller swimming pool, which gets as shallow as 2 feet.

There is a Starbuck's just off of the main lobby, with super-friendly staff.
Lots of areas to sit and relax throughout the hotel property. A few spots even have ocean views.

The room was great! Just enough room for the four of us. Even the roll-away bed was comfortable enough for my 5-year old to fall right asleep. The golf course to the rear of the proterty just about guarantees a quieter environment than most other hotels in the area can offer. The toiletries provided were a nice touch.

Parking? Not horrible. If your room is in the main tower, it's a bit of a walk. The $25 per night hurts a little, but there are 4 underground parking levels for hotel guests, which is really nice for the summer months. $25 a night is about average for the area, so it's not all bad.

Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!