“Superior Service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Houston, TX
“Superior Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The front desk staff, bell staff and wait staff, along with anyone else you encountered who worked at this hotel, provided superior, friendly and helpful service. I was there for a business meeting so the location was not particularly relevant. We had catered meals by the hotel for two lunches and one dinner. All were served in style and in lovely surroundings.

The room and bathroom were updated and the mattress quite comfortable.

The only item marring my stay was some sort of electronic "chirping" in my room at odd and obnoxious hours of the night. I mentioned to the hotel staff and they changed the battery in the smoke detector but it still went off the last night at 4:30 a.m. I'm not sure what the source is but for a light sleeper, it is a problem.

The only other item that prevents a five star rating is the common practice among these types of hotels for charging you very high prices for what business travelers require, i.e. internet service and copies. I refuse to give a 5 star in protest of this practice.

But the staff was lovely.

Room Tip: My room was quiet except for the obnoxious chirping noise. Room 430
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
DebbieSnavely, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful comments surrounding your recent stay and meeting experience. I am thrilled you enjoyed the newly-renovated guest rooms and took special notice of the exceptional staff service. We take great pride in providing warm and friendly service in every department, and I will be sure to share your feedback with everyone! It also makes me very happy to see how much you enjoyed the meal functions at your meeting, as I feel it is another area that sets us apart from other hotels. Lastly, we will inspect your room to make sure everything is working properly moving forward. I hope we get to welcome you back next time you are in Newport Beach!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Turkish first
Utsunomiya, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is a tired property that only has fashion island to save it. The location is OK but there are better ones in Southern California, This hotel is kind of confused as it is not a pure business hotel, not a really good location for a meeting, not romantic enough for couples and not really above average in any aspect. I have been here before and if it was not a Mariott I would not stay here as I get gold benefits, I complained about the bed and they did NOTHING and ended up with back pain. Glad to check out and would never come back. Held a meeting here 56 years ago and I swear it is the same bed. Just a terrible place that could be so much better.

Room Tip: don't go here if you have any choice
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
DebbieSnavely, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Guest,
I am sorry to see you did not your stay at our hotel. We take great pride in providing exceptional service and comfortable accommodations for our guests, and I regret that we did not meet your expectations. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss your experience in further detail.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Stayed here for a short 3 day conference which was very well run by the hotel. They provided great meals and snacks as well as excellent service around the hotel. The rooms were comfortable and well maintained allowing for a good night's rest.

Stayed July 2014
juleemay, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for your recent review and the great feedback about your stay with us. Our staff strives to exceed our guests’ expectations and we’ll be sure to let them know you enjoyed their hospitality. It’s nice to hear that you had an enjoyable conference. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to Fresno!

Julee May
Las Vegas Valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

For the area, this hotel had lots to offer my family of 4. (my wife, our too young daughters, and me)

The location and close proximity to the Fashion Island Mall gives you tons of dining options, not to mention the SHOPPING. You're less than a 5 minutes away from Balboa Island, 10 minutes to the Newport Beach peninsula, and only 15 minutes to Huntington Beach.

This hotel gives lots of options for dining and recreation in the area. Two swimming pools for guests and an additional, smaller pool for those using the hotel's spa services. If you have younger children, check out the smaller swimming pool, which gets as shallow as 2 feet.

There is a Starbuck's just off of the main lobby, with super-friendly staff.
Lots of areas to sit and relax throughout the hotel property. A few spots even have ocean views.

The room was great! Just enough room for the four of us. Even the roll-away bed was comfortable enough for my 5-year old to fall right asleep. The golf course to the rear of the proterty just about guarantees a quieter environment than most other hotels in the area can offer. The toiletries provided were a nice touch.

Parking? Not horrible. If your room is in the main tower, it's a bit of a walk. The $25 per night hurts a little, but there are 4 underground parking levels for hotel guests, which is really nice for the summer months. $25 a night is about average for the area, so it's not all bad.

Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Irvine, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I've stayed at this Marriot over 15 nights (non-consecutive). The property is nice, don't expect "nothing outrageously gorgeous".. it is actually a bit dated on the outside but the rooms are nicely furnished, very clean and semi-modern (plasma TV). The pool area is beautiful, but the few times I've been there (at the pool) I have never been approached by a waiter offering drinks or snacks... or anything. This last time I came with my wife we experienced several issues: i) our room had a buzzing sound that came from behind a wall (apparently they have some network equipment there) and it was really bothersome,, (ii) Not enough hangers, (iii) no control remote,(iv) room key not working @ parking lot, (v) wife had to call 5 different people to get an answer on a particular issue. Staff is very friendly, but I prefer effectiveness over friendliness and this hotel is not very effective. We had to approach the manager to get these issues solved and moved to another room after already unpacking. Plus if you get a room at the Pacific Pointe tower (allegedly more peaceful & quiet) you have to walk about 5-7 minutes to get there...

Room Tip: If you like walking choose any room at the Pacific Point Tower. Rooms on the 6th floor or above on t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
DebbieSnavely, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Guest,
First, I would like to thank you for continuing to choose our hotel when traveling in the area. We greatly value your continued business. I am glad to see you enjoyed our newly-renovated guest rooms, but am disappointed to hear about the multiple issues you encountered during your most recent stay, as well as the fact it took multiple contacts with our team to get the desired resolution. Your experience is not up to the high levels of service on which we pride ourselves. I will take your feedback to all departments involved. I hope you will provide us the opportunity to welcome you in the future and provide you with the exceptional experience you deserve.
Cave Creek, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

This is a nice hotel across the intersection from the Fashion Island Mall. The bed was very comfortable and there was a lighted make-up mirror in the bathroom. Large shower with an adjustable shower head. There is a seperate area outside of the bathroom with a mirror where one person can be doing their hair when the other person is in the bathroom. Larger bars of soap for the showers was nice. One thing I didn't like is we spent over $500 on two nights and while I'm a Silver Elite Marriott member, they wanted to charge me $50 extra per night to get a room with an ocean view. You also have to pay $25 per day to park.

Room Tip: Maybe try to ask for a room with a view when booking it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Folsom, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I must say that the hotel staff is very friendly and will make you feel welcome. I stayed for 2 nights to attend a convention in town and had a king bed room. Room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel has a Starbucks on-site and is conveniently located across from Fashion Island which has a number of good restaurants. I'd stay here again.

The only issue I have is the lack of airport shuttle like the Hyatt Regency provides. But that's a minor issue since taxis are readily available.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!