“Tranquility amongst work duties” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #9 of 17 hotels in Newport Beach
New Canaan, Connecticut
“Tranquility amongst work duties”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

I stayed here in mid-October for a business conference. I can't get over how friendly and efficient the staff were. I don't know what's in the water. The few times I mentioned how wondertul the staff was (to the staff) they said "we love working here - they treat us very well!". This was from a concierge and a pool maintenance manager. They're doing something right. The food was delicious, as well. My sister and I were sitting at the fire pit on the night of Oct 15, and Miguel from the catering staff - he was working a private party by the gazebo - was super friendlly on his brief back & forth jaunts. He brought us proper wine glasses when we were happy with the plastic freebies by the lemonade & strawberry water. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. Rivaled my stay in January at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua (the staff made the difference!!!) Thanks, Marriott for a wonderful resort feel to the drudgery of a work trip!!!

• Liked — Great staff, great location & very very comfy beds!!!
  • Disliked — didn't have time to try the spa
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business

557 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

I stayed at the Newport Beach Marriot in late September/early October for business travel. Upon entering, you immediately notice the heavenly spa scents in the hotel. The staff is very friendly and check-in was a breeze. I was in room 1007, in the Pacific Pointe area (I believe that is what it was called), near the Conference Rooms. (My colleagues were in the open air section of the hotel near the pool.)

The room is very spacious and nicely appointed. My sink, toilet and standup shower were all in the same area. I had a small walk-out balcony overlooking the tennis courts with a great view. My only disappoint was that my room did not have a fridge and did not seem outfitted to have one.

The area in general is beautiful, and the hotel does a great job in staying with that look. I never went in the pool or used the spa, but both looked inviting. There are alot of conferences held at this hotel, but that did not cause a problem for us. Also, I used the free airport shuttle to get to the airport for my departure, and it was great.

Across the street is Fashion Island, where we dined alot and did some shopping. The airport is only about 6-8 minutes away and there are grocery stores nearby, as well. The Starbucks in the hotel is very convenient.

• Liked — Beautiful area, great staff.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Felton, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

On a recent business trip, I stayed here.

Get an ocean view. If your room is at the front of the hotel, like mine was... an open window means endless mood music coming up from the hotel entrance. The bad mood music runs until 2am.

The room was very nice. Nice bed, nice bathroom. But the "front of the hotel" view isn't so nice.

The hotel is somewhat dated and tacky on the outside. The open air insides suits the area. But the endless stucco is kinda scary. The base of the hotel has this oversized and out of place tacky fountain.

Internet is not free here -- it's an additional $12.95 per day. One of the downsides of these larger service hotels, is that they nickel and dime you to death. Parking was $18 per day. There's no free parking here.

So, if you can afford the best accomodations and the ocean view, this place is great. Else find something better.

• Liked — very nice room
  • Disliked — everything outside of the room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

My wife and I stayed here on a time share offer spending only $149 for 3 nights stay that included a $50 gift card at Fashion Island. We didn't buy a time share, but we both certainly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We were lucky to be able to check in early and begin our relaxing and pampered stay which is conveniently located right across the street from Fashion Island which we visited several times during our visit. Balboa Island is a short distance away. The free shuttle service to John Wayne was on time and very courteous. Beat any cab ride we could have taken. Nice pool area which in past reviews I read where flying golf balls were a problem, but that was a extremely poor golfer or the terrorists have taken up a new means of fear. The pool was entertaining, relaxing and safe. We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant and highly recommend it. Service was great. Entire staff at this hotel was super. Bed was comfortable and no noise in the rooms except final morning we could hear children screaming near the elevators. When we first checked into our room, we noticed a musty smell which we notified the front desk about. When the maid sprayed the room and that didn't solve the problem, housekeeping brought in special ionizing equipment which removed the smell and it was fine after that. Speaking of smells, the main lobby had a lovely fragrance attached to it whenever we entered the hotel. This is a somewhat dated hotel (estimate built in the 70's), but nicely renovated in recent past. For weekend stays, plan on seeing a wedding party at the hotel. There were 3 going on when we stayed. All unobtrusive and added an element of excitement in the air. Past reviews said that by showing your Marriott Rewards card at the Starbucks you could get a free coffee drink, but we found only two clerks looking at us to see if we were trying to pull a fast one on them...so no free coffee, but having a Starbucks in the hotel is a nice feature. Also enjoyed the fruit flavored ice water and lemonade available in the hotel lobby. Iced bottles of water freely available from the valet service. Parking overnight via valet was pricey, but we had no problems parking our Lexus SUV across the street in the Fashion Island parking lot. Value for our money on this special rate was extremely high for us. Would highly recommend this hotel and will stay here again.

• Liked — Staff, Breakfast, safety
  • Disliked — Initially our musty smelling room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

I stayed here for a family wedding. I had to share my room with my 2 sisters but we made the most of it and were able to fit in the room with a roll away bed. We were on the concierge level which is definitely the way to go.
I've been to this spa twice and both times had the most wonderful facial from the same person. Very relaxing spa treatment.
For the size of the hotel the fitness club could have been bigger. If there is a convention, then it gets busy quickly in the morning.
It's fairly easy to find and get to places in Orange County.
I intend to return in September and have already book my room.

• Liked — spa
  • Disliked — small fitness room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

The hotel was amazing.
Great location and service.
I would highly recomend taking the concierge lounge with your reservation for only twenty dollars a day.
Pool had tiny bar with five flavors of dippin dots and a splash pool for kids.Also had badmington, ping pong table, and sandbox.Also had one game of swing the ball around the pole.
Right across the street is fasion island with stores and restaurants.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

My husband and I decided to get married at the Marriott Newport Beach after looking at a few different properties in the area. It was the best choice we could make. The wedding coordinators at the hotel were WONDERUL.. and everything was taken care of.. down to each detail I asked for. I would highly recommend this hotel as a ceremony/reception site.

The rooms at this hotel are also wonderful. They set us up with a wedding night suite and it was beautiful! They even laid out rose petals from the door to the bedroom, turned on music and had champange, cheese & dried fruit waiting for us… It was the perfect night!

The hotel itself is wonderful for anyone looking for a luxurious getaway.. the rooms are beautiful, the restaurant is wonderful and the bar is fun.. the outside fire pits are great too! If you are into day spas, you won't be disappointed. This spa offers every amenity possible.. steam room, salt water spa, etc… they even have a private pool for Spa guests only… which is very quiet in comparison with the big pool.

Again… this is a great hotel to have an event at or just to stay at for a few days of relaxation.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!