“Excellent Customer Service, Nice Rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #11 of 17 hotels in Newport Beach
Denver, Colorado
“Excellent Customer Service, Nice Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

First, the customer service was beyond 5-star. From the valet, to the concierge, to Front Desk Staff, everyone went out of their way to greet me and remember my name. My room was very nice, bedding was very comfortable. The downside - it's expensive. Valet is $28/night, self-park is $21. Wi-fi costs $12 per day, and I found it to be very slow and unreliable during my stay. I spent a few hours at the quiet pool, but the Sand Bar wasn't open and there wasn't an attendant, so I wasn't able to order any drinks or food. The Sand Bar opened around 1pm, and once I did order food it was good (but very expensive!). For as much as I paid for my room, I would have hoped for a free breakfast included. The only breakfast options are the Starbucks or very expensive room service. It is a very nice hotel, but I can't give it four stars because it didn't seem like a good value.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are great.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

596 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Turkish first
Richmond, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed here for a family wedding, no kids.The location could not have been netter, and the views were spectacular. I run almost everywhere I stay, and there were many wonderful places to run nearby, including beautiful Balboa Island and around Back Bay Drive. I didn't spend much time in the room, but the room was comfortable and clean. Everything was what you expect from a Marriott. The staff and concierge were unbelievable. Incredibly helpful, friendly, courteous, and kind. We were all on a first name basis by the end of our 4 day stay. It was a great experience.

Room Tip: I don't ever spend a lot of time sitting in my room, so it was not important to me. We had a nic...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hermosa Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife and I needed a room for the night as we were attending a concert at Verizon Amphitheater. We found at great rate online and liked the location directly across from Fashion Island. The room was great. Updated, clean and very quiet.

The rest of the hotel while nice and clean is dated. We went early to spend some time at the pool before the concert. The pool was definitely a little disappointing. The ambience and the bar definitely needs to be brought into the 21st century.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. The rooms were great and we would go back if we needed a place close to Fashion Island. We would not go back to hangout at pool or around hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Rooms are getting near to needing renovation in the Tower overlooking the golf course. Other guests met at the fire pits of an evening referred to the lower rooms near and to the South of lobby as: 'the getto!' I noted a Tripadvisor guest complaint over 18 months ago complaining about the sound level in the main pool area. It's still happening! I was asked to go to the 'quiet pool' when complaining to the very young girls at the bar. I suggested they reduce the sound level and they did: but not quite enough. The ' quiet pool' had a sound system producing still intrusive level of sound from a radio station. Regrettably the lyrics from a repetitive song used the F... word with abandon causing a young family to leave as well as us! Not good enough!!!

• Stayed August 2013
anytown, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The Good
I was looking for a hotel near where we were planning to have our 20th anniversary dinner. It was to be a surprise for my wife. The Marriott was right across the street so I went in and booked a room. I told them it was our anniversary and they said they would provide an amenity. I looked at the room and it was perfect, good view of the harbor and ocean, beautiful king bed with lots of pillows (what woman doesn't love lots of pillows) and a big screen TV.

After dinner we went to the room and found the 'amenity.' It was chocolate covered strawberries and sparkling wine. Yumm. I was a hero. We fell into bed and slept. We used the hot tub in the morning and checked out around 11 am. (check out is noon.)

The Bad
Two words...transactional pricing. A basic room is $169, but there is a $40 charge for a view room. Parking overnight was $21. Want Internet? $12.95 for 24 hours.

The Worse
We ordered room service at 9:40 am and were told 25 to 30 minutes. Two hours later, it still hadn't arrived. I told them to cancel the order because by that point we were too hungry to laze around any more. I'm still waiting to see if they charged me for the order.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I spent 4 nights at the Newport Beach Marriott during Labor day weekend. The hotel was around an hour (90 minutes after the driver had taken in 2 circuits of the airport collecting additional passengers) travel from LAX, and we used the Super Shuttle ($45 for 2 people)

The check in process at the hotel was easy with helpful staff throughout the establishment. The hotel complex is vast with our room being a good walk from the reception.

The room was spacious, and very clean as is the whole hotel, with a small balcony overlooking one of the many pools….infact with the number of pools you’d struggle to not have windows facing at least one. The bathroom was clean with a nice selection of toiletries – but no shower cap, a a large flatscreen TV. There was very little noice in the room, with great sound proofing.

The hotel has a nice bar where you can enjoy a quiet drink in the evening, a Starbucks, along with the spa and conference suites.

The only downside was given the high cost of the rooms, WiFi wasn’t included and is around $12 per day – if your room is close enough to the hotel lobby you can hop onto the free WiFi from your room.

The hotel is just a 5 minute walk from Fashion Island, where you can enjoy some retail therapy and the boutique shops as well as larger department stores, eat & drink, and even see some films (movies!). If you’re up for a 25 minute walk Balboa Island is in walking distance, and worth a trip.

The staff were really helpful, with the concierge providing valuable information on local amenities, and realistic distances – rather than ‘5 minute walk’ – ‘5 minutes if you’re an Olympic power walker!’and being being able to have a late check out was much appreciated as we had a 10PM flight out of LAX.

We really enjoyed our stay at the hotel – but there may be better value options if taking the total cost of stay into consideration.

Room Tip: Try and get a room near to the lobby and save yourself $12 a day on WiFi!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this resort two times and it has been perfect each time. Friendly, courteous staff and great location.
Many things to do in this location. The hotel is very clean and spacious. You will love the outdoor fire pits with a glass of wine. It is very romantic.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!