“Great resort hotel in Newport Beach” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #9 of 17 hotels in Newport Beach
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
“Great resort hotel in Newport Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed her. As part of a conference earlier this month and enjoyed my time here.

Main pros would be the service (staff were extremely helpful) the rooms were large with a huge walk in shower but no bath (that didn't bother us)
Lovely grounds and pool area

Unfortunately we were not here long enough to sample th. Spa but that looked nice too.

We did eat one night in the lounge and the food was tasty. Drinks menu was extensive also with over 30 different Whiskys!!

Main cons for me were location. This hotel is over a 20 min cab ride to the beach although it is just over the road from Fashion Island and some amazing shopping including Macy's, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom and many more

Overall I guess it depends what you are going for but we enjoyed our stay

• Stayed June 2013

559 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I just checked out early by 1 day due to a very unpleasant stay. I am a regular visitor to this hotel and a Marriott Platinum member. I checked in and was given a room on the 6th floor of the Pacific Tower. I wasn't told that my room overlooked a construction site and that by 7 AM and all through the day the noise of beeping equipment backing up and overall clatter just ruined this visit for me.
The front desk allowed me to check out without penalty which was nice and they did offer to move me after the first night of what had been planned as a two night stay. I appreciate that but frankly after 1 day my stay was enough and I just wanted out.
I have had very nice visits to this property and am currently booked to stay here over July 4th but am reconsidering my options since they can't guarantee me that I can have a room away from the noise. The construction is on the Pacific Tower side so I assume the other towers are quieter. If you are booking here be aware.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here for four nights for a conference. There are multiple buildings and I lucked out by being in the main tower building. Some of my friends were in far away rooms on the conference center side of the building. The pool is nice, but there are no real pool amenities; however, there are fresh towels in abundance.

The marina and beach is two miles away, just a little too far to walk, so most of the fun will be at Fashion Island. I walked to Fashion Island every evening for supper and it was fun for four consecutive days.

The atrium gets very noisy when there is a conference and the outdoor bar area (which is small but very, very fun) allows for lots of noise to be heard from all of the rooms in the main building until about 10:00 PM.

The staff was nice, the interior of the rooms were spacious and updated, the exterior of the hotel and the common spaces were stucko/dated/sun-faded.

It's definately a Marriott hotel and not a Renaissance or JW property, despite the great Sam & Harry's and the Spa. The Spa/Steakhouse combo is usually a staple of Marriott's Renaissance properties, and this is a notch below Renaissance in terms of amenities and facilities.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building, request an ocean view room.
Santa Clarita
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I spent 4 nights at this property for a business meeting and would have to say that my overall impression was quite positive.

For the positives. I found the staff to be attentive and genuine in their concern for guests needs. The location, while not on the beach, was excellent being adjacent to Fashion Island. This allowed for numerous eating options within walking distance of the hotel. The general appearance of the hotel, both interior and exterior, was in good shape. The pool area's were great. The fire pits, and lounge were all well-suited for end-of-the day drinks with colleagues. Others had complained that the concierge lounge was too small, but even during my conference where the vast majority of guests were Marriott Gold or Platinum, the lounge was never too full. The variety of food and drink was solid. My only complaint is that if your room is not in the tower with the concierge lounge, it can be a bite of a hike. There are three separate buildings with guest rooms at this property. For hotel conference food, the quality and variety was pretty strong. Entree's ranged from chicken, to fish and filet dishes. All were somewhat above standard hotel fare.

For the annoyances. A room was not available at check-in so I was promised that when available it would be a good one. My Marriott profile indicated a deluxe ocean view room had been assigned to me. I was somewhat disappointed to find a room with a view only of the adjacent mall and parking deck. The room was a corner, on the top floor with a large balcony so I was fine with it, but wish the room assignment had honored what my account had indicated prior to check-in. Being a corner room, there was an odd quirk where the door was flush with the hallway corridor and its hinges were on the outside. This configuration prevent one of the locking security bars from being present on the inside. The only locking mechanism was the deadbolt. I learned one morning that even with the deadbolt engaged that housekeeping could still enter as they attempted to enter after my room had ALREADY been cleaned. The woman was polite and apologetic when I told her I did not need service. However, this was a bit concerning as my do not disturb hanger was on the door and beyond flipping the deadbolt, there was no other way to prevent hotel staff from gaining entry. My final nit to pick with the room is that the bed was hard, really hard. The first evening there was a feather bed on top of the mattress, but it was coming apart and the poking sensations I felt all night were the feathers escaping the feather bed. I had asked the front desk to replace it, but instead they removed it. I did sleep better the next three nights, but it was still a hard bed.

As a Southern California native, I do not often have reason to stay at a local hotel, but if the need ever did arise again, I would not hesitate to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the towers, either the Harbor Tower or Pacific Point.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

The hotel is large and well-suited in almost every way to a conference, which is what I am attending. They have done a nice job in accommodating us. The rooms have been fine for meetings; things are a bit spread out but nothing is more than a five minute walk away, it is a breeze to get to from the airport, and the views, if you have one, are nice.

My room is in the newer tower, Pacific Pointe. It is a nice room with a balcony and view of the golf course and in the distance, the ocean. It is quiet and quite clean. Housekeeping has been very good. While the room is not huge it certainly has everything I need. Lots of storage, 2 phones, flat TV with many channels, sparkling bathroom with good water pressure and temperatures, and overall, a good staff.

On occasion the front desk is a bit overwhelmed, but they have been quite helpful and nice and found me the quiet room I requested.

The food has been, for the greatest part of the week, quite good. A few times they kind of surprisingly ran out of some things and did not replenish, but overall it would be difficult to complain about not being well-fed. The service in restaurant and bar has been good as well.

I have to say that I am really surprized by the size and scope of the fitness center. It is FAR too small, too crowded, and underwhelming. For a place this large it is half the size it needs to be, if not more. There are long lines, overused equipment, not-such-great ventilation, and in general, it is not a viable option unless you are there in the middle of the night or something. One can get a jogging map from the front desk with a variety of runs and walks, but be aware that this is an urban setting, with wide streets, many lights, and the run is not always going to be consistent.

I was in a few other rooms and they were not as nice as mine, so although it is not ultra-grand, I am happy with it. Some are in older parts of the hotel with a more motel-style vibe. There are several pools, but I have not used them so other than to say they have made the hot tub handicap accessible, I don't have an opinion. There is a nice rose garden with good views.

The mall across the street is gigantic and upscale, with many restaurants and stores. Dog-friendly. There is a Whole Foods in addition to the stores and dining options, so you could even stock up your room if you wanted to.

There is a Starbucks and one restaurant in th ehotel, which is not much for a place this size, but I assume that they know that across the street you will want for nothing, so take that into account. Cabs are on standby and there is a parking garage attached to the hotel.

I would stay here again, largely because of the helpful staff and clean rooms. Good place for a meeting; nice selection by our meeting committee.

Room Tip: I liked my room in the Pacific Pointe Tower, high floor, with unobstructed view of the golf course a...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This fabulous hotel is first class and top of the hotel line. The hotel is huge with several pools and large Ballroom. The rooms are modern and spacious. Most of the rooms have sliding glass doors or a balcony with beautiful views of Newport Beach.The service is excellent and the employees are very friendly. This hotel is not cheap but you get what you pay for. I would always stay there when in Newport Beach.

Room Tip: The weather is great so you should try to get a room with a Balcony. Even without the balcony most r...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
McFarland, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

A beautiful hotel. Way nicer than we normally stay. We used reward points because it was convenient for us to be right at the start line for the OC Marathon. Get up and no need to travel to get to the start. Had to pay $21 per night for parking. Our room was large and overlooking the pool with the ocean on the horizon. If you like to shop you are right at Fashion Island within walking distance to both shops and restaurants. Definitely a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Room looking out the back on higher floor gives you views of the pool and ocean.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!