“Nice amenities but not worth it without the discount” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Sacramento, CA
“Nice amenities but not worth it without the discount”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2007

I stayed here for a conference and we got an excellent rate--somewhere around $80. I heard they're trying to attract large conferences and so I don't think I would have gotten this rate on my own. It's gone through a gorgeous remodel, but I felt a bit like an uncomfortable production crew member on "The O.C." given all the gorgeous people wandering around the pool--very intimidating.

My room had a view of--gasp!--more hotel towers and a touch of beach. Not bad but considering I wasn't there for the view, okay. The business and other amenities were decent but nothing to write home about. They really pushed the spa to me (need to pay for its renovations???), but the prices were outrageous--about double what I would pay back home. Forget it.

Huge, gorgeous bathroom. But here's my one big complaint and caution...I was in the bathroom and had locked the hotel room door. Housekeeping knocked on the front door and even though I yelled at them to come back, they didn't hear me. So they came in and then (was it the running water?) came straight into the bathroom--because guess what? There are no locks on the sliding bathroom doors!!! It bugged me but oh well. I guess I should have put the extra physical lock on the front door, but a lock on the bathroom door would have kept housekeeping out if they'd had it.

The mall is about a 1/4 mile away (or less) and there are plenty of places to eat if you don't want to pay the high hotel prices.

So I would stay here again on a business discount, but probably won't come back for fun.

Stayed August 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

Overall, this is a very nice hotel. The room was nice and clean. The amenities are great. The location is good too. The only problem is the people that work there. It seems they subscribe to the philosphy of promise everything, deliver nothing. As a Marriott rewards member I was asked via email before we arrived if there was anything I wanted. I asked for extra towels. When we checked in, the desk clerk noted I had requested extra towels. I also requested an upper floor. Well, we ended up on floor 5 of 16. We also requested a refridgerator from the bellman who promised a 15 minute delivery. An hour later we called for the fridge and the towels. another hour later we called again. It took 3 calls to get the fridge, we never got the towels. They also have down comforters on the bed, which is way too much in the summer. We asked for a lighter blanket and were told it would be delivered in 10 minutes. We never saw that either. I liked the hotel, just don't expect much in the way of service.

• Liked — The amenities: Spa, Coffee Shop and location
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Surrey, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

We used the hotel as a stop over for few days so my views will be fairly limited as we used minimal services.

Firstly, do get over the fact it is not near the water, you can see the water but you need to drive everywhere to get anywhere!

We were lucky to stay in some fabulous hotels on-route but if there is one thing I loved about this hotel, it was the beds!! I want one!

OK a quick overview:

Positives:

* Fabulous beds
* Great view over the golf course and distant beach and what a fabulous sunset!
* Location for the Shopping Mall which is great! We parked our car in this car park aovernight after reading previous reviews, it was and safe, we had no problems!
* Good pool area

Negatives:

* Need a car to get anywhere otherthan the shopping mall
* Concierge - I think I may have been speaking in a strange language, seemed a bit unsure of anything
* Small bathrooms
* Not much ambience in the restaurant area and it was so dark, they could have served me anything they liked!

Would I stay there again, not sure, depends on the reason for my stay!

• Liked — The beds! Loved going to bed.
  • Disliked — Felt a bit out of the action regarding the location.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2007

I stayed at this resort for 5 night last week and had a WONDERFUL stay. I went for work and got a $164.99 rate and talked my way to an upgrade oceanview room that overlooked the pool, golf course and ocean. The room was very large, plasma tv, wonderful bathrooms with great amenities. The bed was ultra comfortable with wonderful bedding. The hotel resturant was VERY expensive. The spa was wonderful but again a little pricey. I loved the strawberrry and lemon water in the lobby daily and the hotel was extremly clean and well maintained. I will make this my staple hotel when returning their for work.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2007

Our trip was booked through a group meeting for $199 per night. Agree with all other reviews; staff was excellent and accommodating. I first was given a dark room on the 3rd floor with a walk out roof outside my window with a lot of cigarette butts outside the window. I returned to lobby and explained I liked to keep my window open for fresh air and wasn't comfortable with the access to my room - I was immediately given room on 9th floor with big slider and lots of light. Bathroom was very compact but everything granite and clean. Starbucks closes at 6:00 p.m., which is disappointing. Pool is a little small but very nice with 5-6 cabanas. Sam & Harry's has the most comfortable bar, best drinks and good appetizers I have had in a long time - did not have dinner there. Mall right across the street. Good experience for my 1st trip to the area.

$13.00 per day for internet access is excessive - I haven't had to pay extra for that in a business hotel for a long, long time - a pet peeve of mine.

• Liked — Location, modern, upscale
  • Disliked — parking and internet charges
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2007

Spent 3 nights at this hotel after someone from work told to give it a try during my next visit to California. Check in was quick and easy. Watch out for the valet parking as it costs $25.00 per day and the self parking is $16.00 a day. My room was extremly large and it had two flat screen TVs. Bathroom was bigger than my living room and the view was great. In all, a great hotel close to shopping, great restaurants. I would have no issues staying at this place again.

• Liked — Super large room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

Beyond average hotel service! first marriott i ever seen with such a very nice staff. the hotel it self very well mantained and very nice room and pretty Bed, cant complaint! the public place was just immaculate, simple but beautiful. nice pool, and they also has 2 pingpong table which is cool.
If you LOVE to shop, another advantage of staying here, just across the street from Fashion Island Mall, Get ready to max out your credit card.
another one, Valet Service ... just beyond helpful.
Give it a try, If you dont like it ... must be You, not the hotel!

• Liked — Beautiful hotel, Awesome Staff!
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!