“Loved the location!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
South Dakota
“Loved the location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights at the beginning of June and had basically no problems. They took away breakfast a little early but there is a McDonalds next door. We could also hear traffic at night but it didn't bother us so much that we couldn't sleep at all. This hotel isn't directly on the beach but it's so close! We LOVED the location, you walk just a couple minutes and you're there! When we checked in, the front desk lady told us of a few places to eat and was pretty helpful. We went to the Mexican restaurant behind the hotel on a daily basis, they were so nice! I believe it's called Avila's El Ranchito. We highly recommend it, happy hour has discounted drinks and free food, not just chips and salsa! Overall, yes this place could be updated, but for the price we paid we were very pleased. I was extremely nervous once we arrived due to previous reviews but we had basically no problems so we can't really complain about anything there.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

I picked this Motel because of the closeness to the beach, free beach cruisers and price. I don't require a fancy hotel but a clean one would have been nice. The minute we arrived I asked about reserving 2 bikes - oh, they don't have bikes anymore - this was advertised on the website when i made my reservations 3 weeks prior and now conveniently no mention when I went to double check today. When we opened the room door, we were shocked at the condition of the contents - very old, worn out and in major need of remodeling. When we left on Saturday morning for the beach, we specifically asked if the room would be serviced - make the bed, provide fresh towels - the minimum one would think...The guy at the desk said of course with a smile on his face. When we returned at 5pm, no one had been in the room. We asked if we could at least get clean towels - again he said sure - we asked 4 times. By 10 am Sunday morning he had still not provided. It is on a very busy street with a lot of foot traffic so don't expect peace and quiet. We asked for some of our money back but were refused.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
redmond
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

This hotel was almost uninhabitable. I stayed there with my teenage girl who almost left when we saw the room. The only window in the room faced a busy street, and the vertical blinds would not close all the way so people could constantly see in. It was also next to the louf ice machine and a corder liquor store. The toilet was not secured to the floor properly, so it wiggled every time you sat on it. The shower head sprayed in 50 different directions, and the carpet was filthy. Also, they advertised free bike use, but I was told that is no longer available due to liability concerns. No other compensation was offered for this omission. The worst stay ever, period. It should go out of business.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Ventura County
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

I booked a reservation there 5 months in advance of the Newport Beach City Birthday Bash. I booked one of the big rooms in front with the sliders. When I got there to check in, the gentleman said that room was not available. I said "I booked it months ago, and you called me to confirm it yesterday." He said "Do you know what is going on this weekend?" I said "yes, thats why i'm here." He said the room was not available, but he had a room in the back on the bottom floor.
Bottom line, I paid for that room, He sold the room I booked and paid for , for triple my price to someone else, because he had no clue what was going on that weekend. He did NOTHING to appease me on this. I was so angry and had traveled so far to be there. What a complete farce that was!!! Be careful if you are booking ahead of time for something going on there in the future. They might do it to you too!!!!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

The hotel was not on the beach but on a busy street we had a beautiful view of McDonalds, We had to open the window for fresh air, because room was stuffy and hot, air conditioner did not work well, , It was by a liquor store and there was a party outside our room window til at least 3 or 4 am, very noisy, There was a cot in our room when we checked in and when we went to dinner and left the privacy sign on it was taken out of our room and we were told it was not available when we called for it to be we returned. We were told we did not pay for it , but we were not asked if we wanted it , were not called to let us know it was being taken or given the option to pay for it. Also the pillows and bedspreads were dirty, the counters were stained and dirty looking. We had booked the Catilina package and were over charged for the tickets and the "breakfast " was not put out until at least 845 when we had to leave for the boat. Before that there was fruit and dry cereal with no milk. that was put out at 730. Also we checked in with 4 guest and were given 2 sets of towels. We were unable to reach anyone at the front desk to bring us any towels. We had to share. I would not recomend this place to anyone. I am not sure how it recieved its AAA rating.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
San Carlos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

I have referred friends to this place and its great. You cannot go into this expecting 4 or 5 star accomodations, but if you really like quaint and close to everything than this is a perfect spot.
I use the bikes and take walks or runs, its perfect for the one who likes to work out.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

the room was basic but had everything you would need. it was clean and had a good size bathroom and comfy beds. it was excellently located 1 minute walk from the beach and a couple of minutes walk from the pier and bars/restaurants. it is on the corner af a few busy roads but when the windows were closed in the room it was quiet enough and the air con. was very efficient so not a problem!

all in all a good value place to stay with very friendly staff in a great location!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Little inn By The Bay? Share your experiences!