“Modernized hotel close to the ocean” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save 25% off 4-Nights
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
“Modernized hotel close to the ocean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This hotel was probably built in the '60's but Hyatt has done a great job bringing the property current yet keeping its eclectic charm. The onsite par 3 golf course is a lot of fun which if not crowded can be played in under an hour. You can rent clubs, bicycles and other beach necessities onsite at the hotel. There are several pools that are heated year round. Food in the restaurant and the bar is very good. The breakfast buffet is remarkably well stocked.

• Stayed November 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Attended a 3-day meeting at this unique property where vintage orange county meets contemporary California for a very comfortable ambiance. The visit was during a most needed rain so no making use of the venue's outdoor pools and hot tubs which also boasted a waterpark like pool for family fun. The rooms were nicely updated and comfortable. There was plenty of spaces to gather for an impromptu meeting with colleagues or meet with friends, do a little work or just relax from the day. Most importantly was the exceptional customer service from every single person I encountered: from the front desk, help with bags, IT support for internet, AV assistance and even secured a prop for our event. I am a business traveler and stay regulary in hotels and this stay overall was different especially personable, friendly and accomodating.
A couple of specifics: during our stay the whole area was hit with a power outage during a group dinner and the wait staff immediatley took out cell phones for flashlights and kept it upbeat an us informed.
Unfortuately, I left an item behind and when I called back the next day, from the initial contact to connecting with wonderful Anna in Housekeeping I was told exactly what the status was on who was looking for the item, when it had been located and finally how they would get it returned.
Not sure what kind of customer service training you are doing there but any service industry could take a lesson from the team at Hyatt Regency Newport Beach everyone seems to sign their work with EXCELLENCE!

Room Tip: There is no elevator but guest services will help with your bag if needed.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was my second stay at this hotel this year for business. The first time was just an overnight trip, so I did not review it, but this time I was there four nights, so I think that I got a sufficient flavor to be fair and accurate. The hotel and grounds are lovely (although somewhat dated but still very nice), with three swimming pools and hot tubs located around the large property. Our room had two good sized full or queen beds that were quite comfortable. There is a nice flat screen tv, a coffee maker, a blow dryer, and toiletries in the bathroom. There is a tub in the bathroom (which you don't always get anymore), and a mini fridge. There were no bathrobes, which would have been nice, since the hot tub was just outside my room and we used it several times. The temperature was always perfect, and there are towels on racks right outside the tub, which is really great (I hate it when I have to bring my bathroom towels to the hot tub). The whole place is very clean and well maintained.

I had a bay view room both times I stayed, and it was not the best view, but it is nice. Both times I was placed in the building at the end farthest from the lobby. It is very quiet, but also very far to walk from the self park lot. The room this time (252), on the second floor, also had a balcony with a small table and chairs, and we ate dinner outside one night - even in December, it was warm and perfect.

The staff is excellent, and could not be nicer or more helpful.

There is no free wi-fi, which I think should really be mandatory these days at all hotels, and there is a charge of $10.95 per night; however, because I was at a business conference held at the hotel, the cost of the wi-fi was covered by my group, so I had wi-fi with no additional charge. It was fast and allowed me to watch netflix with no interruption in my shows.

The hotel is minutes away from Fashion Island, which is one of the nicest malls I have ever been to, and includes Nordstroms, Neiman Marcus and other upscale stores in a largely outdoor mall. There are many restaurants, including PF Chang, California Pizza Kitchen, etc. We went to the movies one night there at "Island Cinema" at Fashion Island and it was $19 for two tickets - more money than my upscale theater near my house (Cinepolis) and frankly not as nice. Still, overall no complaints.

I would definitely stay here again. There is a water slide for the kids if you are traveling with them.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room with a bay view.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Cypress, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I must say I have stayed here several times and the service I have received was superb. Recommendations for a restraunt I couldnt remember they found it and made reservations for us. The staff went out of their way several times to maker our stay wonderful. The comfort of the room was nice since it has been rentovated.. I like all the facilities including the spa and even the bike rental around the bay was fun. Food super!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
san francisco, ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Newport Beach for a work conference a few months ago. The hotel itself is located within a decent distance to the Santa Ana airport and Newport Beach, but I did feel somewhat isolated without a car. The shuttle service is helpful, but if I went again, I'd probably just rent a car. The hotel itself is on a large piece of land with pools and great places to lounge, but I found the main grounds were much better kept than the rooms themselves. My room itself wasn't cleaned too well before my arrival, which I brought to management's attention. I also was disappointed in the additional resort fee for things like wifi, the shuttle, the on-site workout room, additional "resort amenities", etc., especially since I was there for a conference and not for going out and about (and my accounting department did not like these mandatory fees, either!). Upon completing a check-out survey, management ended up comping my resort fees, but nobody on-site seemed to be capable of helping me prior to that. Getting the type of room you reserved, too, can be challenging, especially with a big group on-site. I was surprised when the king room I reserved wasn't available, and instead had to settle for two doubles. The rooms have somewhat updated furniture, but the a/c, bathrooms, and infrastructure are older. Pot smoke kept coming into my room from the connecting door, and the a/c connected to a fan outside, which funneled more smoke into my room from the adjoining patio. The view, though, from my room was quite nice. The conference facilities themselves were fairly dark (no windows in the meeting space we were in), too, which made the days seem a lot longer.

Overall, I don't think I'd go back to this venue, whether for business or personal travel. But I do appreciate management attending to some of my issues, albeit after the fact.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Anaheim Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had some guest from out of town & put them in Newport Hyatt.
This is an old hotel but kept very clean & has a nice view of the Bay. Its conveniently located in Newport Beach, close to the mall & beach areas. Service is good & we booked this online & got a very good deal. The only negative thing is the parking cost, which we felt was too much.

Room Tip: Rooms with Bay View are nicer.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel is on sprawling, impeccably manicured grounds. Really very beautiful in a very classic, almost old-fashioned way. We stayed here Thanksgiving and were very pleased with the experience. The weather was awesome--even warmer than usual, which made being outdoors great. There are several pools which are all very nice. It's a great property just to hang out. The lobby bar has a very fun and active vibe--crowded but not overly packed. Bar menu was good--try the little piggy flatbread. Hummus also good. Plenty of outdoor seating with fire pit areas for the chill. We did the Thanksgiving buffet, which was expensive but well done. Rooms are nice size and comfortable bed. We had a nice room overlooking the golf course. Service was really good from the front desk, to the concierge, to the bar tenders, who were all attentive and friendly. Shuttles to airport, mall and Balboa Island--very close to airport and about .3 mile from Pacific Coast Hwy.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Newport Beach? Share your experiences!