“Good Value 4 Star Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Save 25% off 4-Nights
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Portland, Oregon
“Good Value 4 Star Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed here one night on a business trip. It's not overly fancy but everything was more than comfortable. The gym was quite cramped but the location is great for a run along the nature reserve. It's about a mile from the Fashion Island Mall. Nothing to complain about.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed there for a wedding so we enjoyed a discounted rate. The rooms are well updated. My only issue was that I don't think they do a good job at cleaning the restroom, including the shower/bathtub, sink, etc. They definitely need to train their employees on that. But, otherwise everyone there is very friendly and our overall experience was good. The grounds are well kept and the location is convenient.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This newly remodeled hotel has a lot going for it -- and a few faults we couldn't overlook. The room was spacious with a balcony, a somewhat obscured but still nice view of the bay (though we didn't pay extra), wonderfully responsive staff on all levels, and lush, interesting grounds. I enjoyed walking my dog all over.The entire property was clean and beautifully maintained. I didn't have time for the pools or tennis but there's 3 (pools) that looked like they suited a variety of needs whether it's noisy fun with the kids, sunbathing or reading, etc. The on site restaurant wasn't too pricey - I managed a lunch for one for $20.00 plus tip - but the menu was limited. As was room service selections. My 2 major complaints are the size of the standard bathrooms. One sink, small room (very shortsighted for two people) ordinary facilities (regular bath, rain shower head - nothing special), no shower cap - though they did list them as an amenity they would happily provide. My partner was in town on business, I was looking forward to a long weekend relaxing and hopefully catching up on some recent movies I've missed. I was immediately surprised by the poor picture quality on the nicely sized flat screen -- definitely not the standard clarity I have become accustomed to. What was really disappointing though was the locked-volume of the television - first time I've ever encountered this in a hotel, especially a quality chain like Hyatt. It stopped at 20. Even after turning off the air conditioning we couldn't hear it very well. My partner is also hearing impaired so it was impossible for her. The movie I attempted to rent was, oddly, even LOWER in volume so we turned it off in frustration. At our complaint they sent an engineer up, though the gesture was just for show. With obvious embarrassment he admitted that the picture quality was their number one complaint -- and they had no control over the volume - the new TV's had been shipped to them that way, locked internally. "New TV's" -- which sadly tells me I can't expect this problem to be fixed anytime soon. I'm almost embarrassed to admit this will keep me from booking this fine hotel again but I'm afraid it will. The option of kicking back with television and or a movie is a favorite part of travel for me, whether it's business or pleasure.

Room Tip: If you have a dog with you you might want to ask for a ground floor right off the grassy areas... i...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We almost let the negative reviews scare us away from this property, but we are glad we didn’t put much faith in them or we would have missed a GREAT stay! We realize that when people have a great stay, they usually don't bother to write a review. Those who have problems can't wait to let everyone know, so reviews are usually skewed towards the negative.

From the moment we arrived in the middle of the busy hustle and bustle of valet parking, people unloading luggage, and people trying to check in, we were impressed. The parking attendants had vehicles unloaded and whisked off at a record pace, when we thought we were going to have to wait a long time, being about tenth in line. The check-in process at the front desk was awesome too, and the bellman had our bags on a cart ready to help us to our room within minutes. When we arrived at the room, it smelled a little stale, as if someone had smoked in there, so we opened the patio door but the smell didn’t go away. So back to the front desk we went, and within a couple minutes we had new keys to a new room, and the bellman came back with us to make the move seamless. The second room was great! It was on the back side of the Balboa building, so not the greatest view, but we hadn’t paid extra to have a great view and were satisfied. The room was quiet, and when we opened our patio door, we had a nice breeze drifting into the room. The patio was a nice, relaxing place to sit after a day’s activity.

The Sol Restaurant had great breakfasts off the menu. We weren’t too impressed with the buffet, but with any buffet, you’ll have items that have run out, or what’s left is a bit dried on the edges. So our recommendation is: Skip the buffet, but order off the menu. The menu items are cheaper and much better prepared!

Every morning we headed to the Back Bay Drive for our walk. What a gem, tucked away behind the hotel! A nature reserve is along the bay with many different types of birds, and with the nice fresh sea air, walking along the bay was very refreshing. Be sure to take your camera, as you will have plenty of opportunities for great shots of birds as well as beautiful flowers.

Some of the previous reviews complain about the Internet Charge or the Valet or Self Parking Fee. You can avoid the Internet charge by becoming a Platinum Passport member. You will still have to pay for parking, but most hotels do charge for parking.

We were so impressed with the staff and their willingness to accommodate us to have the best possible stay, that we booked 9 days at this hotel again in October.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed several times on business from 2008 onwards, and once with family. The sprawling richly landscaped grounds, fountains and swimming pools transform an otherwise ordinary 'motel type' complex into a lush SoCal resort. Also a very decent bar and restaurant....certainly my choice in Orange County. Newport Beach also has its own charm.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Costa Mesa, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We recently stayed here when our house was being tented, the termite company wanted to put us in a Ramada which was more like a motel, we decided to stay here instead.
We have two dogs and wanted a better place to walk them in the 3 days we were out of our house. The back bay is directly behind the Hyatt which is gorgeous to walk the dogs and they have easy access gates to get in and out with your room key, you can also head over to the aquatic center and rent kayaks and stand up paddle boards. The Hyatt has 3 beautiful pools, a awesome gym, a great patio to have a glass of wine (with your dogs) and a really cute library style reading area. Easy access to great restaurants and right up the hill is quaint balboa island.
The service was exceptional and if you like golf it sits right on a lush course. I have to say again having dogs and having especially well behaved dogs the staff was very accommodating and kind, I never felt like I could not walk the dogs around everyone was so kind and polite.
Last note the rooms have recently upgraded and are super clean and modern I just loved being there.

Room Tip: The rooms over the balboa pool are cozy and make you feel like your on a tropical vacation.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
october147
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Hotel is run down and a mishmash of different buildings. I stayed in the "main" building for the first night; elevator looked more like a freight elevator. I requested a bay view quiet room - was right above where they were having an outdoor event and across from ice maker; bay view was a joke. I also found a condom on the floor. Next quiet room they moved me to was in the Balboa building. They were doing construction on the rooms next door. Next room they moved me to was adequate, but could not run A/C because it roared. They 3 night managers I dealt with were arrogant and could care less. However, Michael, Victor and the GM tried very hard to make things right, but by that time, I was done with Hyatt. Parking quoted on website when I made reservations was $5 less than what they tried to charge me. Be careful of extra charges. Would never recommend this hotel. Breakfast in restaurant was cold and way over priced for the quality.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room at this hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hyatt Regency Newport Beach? Share your experiences!