“Great for Fun, but good for Business Travel too” 4 of 5 stars

Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 West Balboa Boulevard, Newport Beach, CA 92663   |
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Detroit, MI
“Great for Fun, but good for Business Travel too”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Doing business in Orange County offers a couple of possibilities: stay at the chain hotels adjacent to the office(s); or stay at the beach.
I like the laid-back style of Newport Beach. Yes, it is a wealthy neighborhood, but there's a great surfing under-culture and everybody is of a certain age with sand in their hair and in their socks from having been on the beach in the last couple of hours (day or night...).
The Bay Shores hotel is like that; it's an older hotel a block from the beach boardwalk, but the ocean feels very close by and the air is very fresh. When showering, the smell of the water and the force of the shower-head made me feel like I was washing off after early morning surfing (which I wasn't). Many of the 2nd and 3rd floor rooms are accessed by open air verandas, and it all feels like vacation (which it isn't). There's WiFi and hard-wire connectivity.
The breakfast - included - is a pretty-comprehensive continental, and all the staff were very friendly. There are good restaurants and bars up by the pier 300 yards away, and not much farther to some really excellent fare.
I recommend staying here for work or for play if you wish to be in Orange County.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor and away from the road.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

This is our favorite beach get away. Walking distance to numerous great restaurants. We even did a several block pub crawl. The pier is a couple blocks away.
It is reasonably priced for what you get. Clean, great service, best continental breakfast ever. Antique style elevator is pretty cool too.
We have stayed both in summer and winter. Love it. We will be back again.
There is a roof deck with ocean and bay views.

Room Tip: Ocean view more noisy but nice.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

A friend and I stayed in the suite at this hotel last month and it was a great value and location. The staff there is helpful and friendly, especially the woman who helped me with the reservation and assisted us while we were there for two nights. It felt safe and comfy and very clean and they serve a hearty breakfast every morning. You can eat it in their dining area, in your room or up on their deck overlooking the ocean...it's a lovely spot. The parking is okay if you can get into their lot or you may have to walk across the street although it's a quiet neighborhood so that's not really a problem. I felt security was good and the maintenance man was helpful in securing a gate for us. We liked this place a lot and would stay here again. It's literally one block from the beach so what a find!!! It's not too large which is also a good thing. The beach in that area is vast and clean and the boardwalk is behind a lot of pretty beach homes with nice landscaping so makes for a happy walking area and a great spot to take photographs....it's really refreshing!

Room Tip: Tell the front desk if you have a disabled parking tag so they will save the space for you rather th...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I have been to the Bay Shores Peninsula twice now and will definately become a regular! My first trip was in June with my Grandson and I just wanted someplace close to the beach that we could walk to. This was perfect! Newport is not crowded and a very easy drive from where I live in Las Vegas. The second time I brought my daughter and Grandson and it was just as great. It was Christmas time and we went to see the annual Boat Show! Lots of decorated boats crusing the harbor (which you can see from the roof).
My Grandson acts like it is a home away from home! And they have an excellent breakfast, afternoon cookies, free beach equipment and movies to borrow. So glad I discovered this place! Friendliest and most helpful staff ever, you can tell they really love their job. My next trip is in August for my Grandson's birthday - can't wait!

Room Tip: Book early - all rooms are great!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Grand Forks, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Introverted I may be, but let me tell you--I had so much fun chatting with the desk clerk the day I called to make a reservation that I knew I was going to have good things to say here later. So now I'm here later with the dish on my stay. After seeing that the Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel had an acceptable rating, I called to book a room for one reason and one reason only: it was across the street from the beach. The aforementioned fun chat began, and before I hung up, my lunch plan for day one of my mini-vacation included a grilled shrimp Chronic Taco upon the clerk's recommendation. (No regrets there.) Only after booking did I read some of the actual customer reviews of the hotel, and I also saw it got Trip Advisor's Hotel of the Year award. I got the sense from customers as well as the pictures that the hotel aura was kind of a "home away from home" feel with its fresh-baked cookies and airy decor. The reality is, it WAS like "home away from home"--perfect. I arrived early, but they reordered the cleaning schedule to prepare my room as quickly as possible at no extra charge. In the meantime, I enjoyed my taco, which I picked up on the way :), in their cozy little dining area before taking off for a brief reunion with the beach prior to a meeting. I was able to get into my super-comfy oceanview room within half an hour, perk a delicious cup of coffee (the in-room accommodations were so superb they made much of my packing redundant, and I'm not exaggerating), and get on with my weekend plans. The good news is that my appreciation of their reasonable rates, excellent location, and pleasant rooms, as well as their ultra-friendly and helpful staff, leads me to say I have no intention of ever staying anywhere other than the Bay Shores in Newport Beach ever again. I loved it. The bad news is, the secret's out.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room with a view!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I had a two day break from an intense business trip and this was the perfect place to spend it. The hotel is small enough to get personal attention. The decor is wonderfully suitable for a beach location. Little things make a stay there delightful - the roof deck where you can watch the sun set over the Pacific (if you sit at the high table), the availability of beach equipment at no charge, the free wireless and parking, the cookies in the afternoon and a surprisingly adequate breakfast considering there is nothing cooked (there are breakfast sandwiches you can warm up in the microwave). The bed was comfortable and the bathroom and room were spotless. I liked that the housekeeping staff left doors and windows open to let the sea breezes in (of course closing them afterwards). The location is superb - just across the street from the beach. One very minor complaint is that the desk was not comfortable to work at. But at a place as relaxing as this I should not have been working at all.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage ask for a ground floor room as the elevator is very small.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012 via mobile

We had a great experience. Our favorite perks were free breakfast that we enjoyed on rooftop patio, fresh baked cookies in afternoon and DVDs and popcorn at night. Staff already mailed us a thank you! Great location great service and great price

• Stayed March 2012

Been to Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel? Share your experiences!