my partner and i stayed with two friends for five nights on our final leg of a two week tour around the west coast (our friends had a previous positive experience here). we'd never been to newport beach before and the location was fantastic - it really is a beautiful place!
- the hotel is easy to find being just off a main road; it was quiet in the complex itself so don't let this put you off. we arrived late at night after a long drive from las vegas but the check-in was swift. our room was on the second floor which was fine but a word of warning about the stairs after the elevator would have been appreciated with six suitcases in tow!
- room was clean and had enough space to comfortably accommodate four adults. i expected it to be more modern but the holiday inn chain is slightly different in the UK. personally, i didn't find the bed particularly comfortable but that's personal choice as opposed to the hotel's fault - i just prefer a softer mattress! facilities were fine, although the wifi was a little temperamental, but i was surprised there was no safe in the room. i guess that says a lot about the area as we felt really safe, even when we were out until late, but if we had started our holiday here, i would have been uncomfortable leaving my spending money behind yet wouldn't have wanted to take it all out with me either.
- although it doesn't look like much, we enjoyed the pool area. the beach balls are a great addition and it's nice to see the management considering guests' enjoyment beyond the rooms! the best time to go to the pool is the morning when the sun is on it - by mid-afternoon, it got a little cold! car parking was plentiful although quite expensive - it does add up after a few nights' stay. maybe include it in the price? the area didn't seem to offer much in terms of public transport so i can only assume the vast majority of guests drive there. you will need a car to get around the local area regardless as whilst it's lovely, most of the attractions aren't easily accessible on foot. there are a couple of decent-ish looking restaurants within a stone's throw so you're not completely stranded but if you want to go to the beach, hop in the car or grab a taxi as it's a five or so minute drive away. parking was free on the streets surrounding the beach.
- generally speaking, the location of the hotel is great. i wouldn't recommend it if you want to mainly visit LA but we dropped one of our friends off at the grove during our stay in newport which took us about an hour so it's fine for a day trip. anaheim, laguna beach, knott's berry farm and the airports are all within a good distance; san diego is just over an hour's drive away.
- free breakfast was again, a good bonus of our stay. a selection of hot and cold items were on offer and the breakfast room was big enough to accommodate everyone. however, there was only one toaster so queues formed at times. on another occasion, we noticed the breakfast being cleared easily half an hour before what we thought was the finish time (we ate at 9:30, thought breakfast was available until 10am).
- the only minor issue i experienced during our stay was waiting about ten minutes at the front desk for some quarters to use in the laundrette. i rang the phone hoping to get someone's attention, tapped the desk...no-one! in the end, i had to go searching for the clerk who i found having a chat in the manager's office. i appreciate that staff may need to go elsewhere during the day but it was a bit ridiculous considering my simple request that i couldn't resolve without them! a service bell would have been handy as i felt a little awkward stepping into the manager's office, interrupting a conversation to ask for quarters!!!
if we were to find ourselves in newport beach again, we'd definitely consider staying as overall, we were provided with a consistent service that reflected the cost. this hotel isn't by any means 'luxury' but it was clean, comfortable and provided more than just a basic service. as long as you don't expect the best, you won't be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Distinctively different, the Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach hotel is located across from Newport Beach Harbor, on exciting Mariner's Mile, a short drive to John Wayne Airport and walking distance to a wide variety of restaurants and entertainment. Come stay with us when you are attending some of Orange County's best events. Just minutes away from the OC Fair, Toshiba Senior Classic, Pageant of the Masters, Newport Harbor Christmas Boat Parade, Newport Beach Film Festival, Newport Boat Show, and the Taste of Newport Our professional staff is courteous, friendly, attentive and committed to making your stay fun, and memorable with first-class quality accommodations and legendary service to exceed your expectations. The Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach is also located near many top Orange County attractions such as Newport Beach Pier, Fashion Island, Balboa Island, South Coast Plaza, Disneyland, and the Orange County Fairgrounds. Newport Beach is also situated between two other exciting beach cities Laguna Beach and Huntington Beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Tingo, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel and Venere so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach Hotel Newport Beach
- Holiday Inn Newport Beach
- Newport Beach Holiday Inn