“Slice of Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crystal Cove Beach Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport Beach
Crystal Cove Beach Cottages
You added Crystal Cove Beach Cottages to your Saves list
35 Crystal Cove, Newport Coast, Newport Beach, CA 92657   |
newport beach
“Slice of Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

We stayed in Cottage #32. The painters cottage. Also called Hi De Ho. 1 room had two bunk beds. The other room had a double bed. Fold out couch in the living room. And a fantastic little day bed in the glassed in porch. A wonderful nostalgic little cottage. Nice and open and airy. Has small front open porch and back patio area. I'll post pictures. We loved being able to hear the waves and listen to the frogs in the creek at night. Had dinner and breakfast at the Beachcomber restaurant right on the property. Good food. Excellent location. Spent the morning playing in the tidepools. Just a quick getaway as we live 10 minutes away. If you are lucky enough to get a cottage at the Cove, be prepared to just relax and enjoy the slower pace.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

We stayed in #2: the Shell Shack and thought it was the ideal accommodations for our (almost) 4 yo and (almost) 2 yo. We loved that we were just steps to the beach. We loved that if we didn't have food on hand, we could go the Beachcomber next door (yes, it is expensive but the service is great, the people are friendly and hey, you're on vacation- when else do you splurge a little?).

We had no noise issues with the restaurant next door. Yes, around 7:00 I heard some rustling downstairs where they have a storage room but it wasn't enough to wake anyone up.

Bathroom was great, if you have little ones that need a tub though, bring your own- we did for our kiddies and it all worked out great.

It's a hike up the hill to check in/check out and visit our friends in the dorm style accommodations (60 stairs to be exact) but it was totally worth staying on the beach.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Alexandria, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

After a really tough year spent battling a rough medical issue, my husband and I were anxious and excited to hopefully book a stay at Crystal Cove. I followed the instructions to a tee and was online at the right time and date. I was able to secure a cottage for a few nights and went to checkout. However, the site was so slow and overloaded that it took 10+ minutes to even get to my cart and they took the hold off of my reservation! After repeated attempts at any and all cottages the site still refused to process any of my reservations attempts. Everything was gone within 10 minutes of reservations opening.

While I understand that these cottages are in extremely high demand, it is very discouraging and ridiculous that the booking system completely screwed up my reservation. I tried calling the 800 number listed but no one ever answered. I guess you get what you pay for.

Any tips on other economical and relaxing beach options in California? We will be coming from VA and are open to just about anywhere. Thank you!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Modesto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

My adult son and his girlfriend and I rented Painters Cottage #32 for three wonderful nights! Right on the beach! We loved every minute of it. I travel to Jamaica often and enjoy the rustic beach cottages there, and I found the same here. The kitchen and rooms were large and above our expectations. We read a review that was wonderful and help us what not to take, what to take. We took a hotplate and cooked in the kitchen along with our little propane BBQ. The back veranda was awesome, not a ocean view but at night you can see the sea anyway but you an hear it! The front porch was great.

What we would have done differently: We came from Northern Cali and hit LA traffic arrived late 8PM...total loss of a day. We will leave at 6AM, have luch on the beach and swim and check in at 4PM next time.

We will do ALL of our grocery shopping before we arrive because once you are there the last thing you want to do it go to the grocery store. The frig is full size. Bring lots of snacks and drinks, anything and everything you want because there is not even one location to purchase food or water at CC. Traders Joes is very close though.

Dont forget your hiking boots or sneakers lots of trails and a nice hike back to your car :)

Ruby's Shake Shack...great shakes but the food was no good.

Beachcomber Restaurant was GREAT! The food very Californian, the drinks were generous...prices shocked me at first, but we paid because we were on vacation. Dinner crazy prices, breakfast and luch more resonable...but the drinks rediculous but soooooooo good. Next time we will do breakfast and /or lunch and BBQ every night at our cottage.

I hope we are as lucky to get a cottage again. Second time I tried I got it, the friend who told me about CC still is waiting 2+ years to get a place. Good Luck!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

I scored a reservation for this great place two years ago and took a friend with me. We had cottage #27, The Dive Shack, for 3 glorious nights.

The cottage was quaint and had all the necessary things we expected. Each cottage is a bit different and we were able to see in many of them because the people staying in them were kind enough to show us "if we showed ours." LOL

We did not have a car because we flew in. That meant that we had to hike it about a half mile to the Trader Joe's for our sunset wine and food for some easy meals. Not a big deal because we had already scoped out the store's location, so it was not a surprise. It was nice to not have to deal with the parking hassle thing that others have described.

The only complaint that I had with my trip was that the local taxi company didn't seem to know where Crystal Cove Beach Cottages or The Beachcomber were, so even though we called for a ride an hour ahead of our checkout, the cab was nearly 2 hours late causing us to nearly miss our return flight.

I was lucky enough to score another reservation for April 2010 for 4 nights. I can only hope the weather will be as perfect this time as it was the last.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

I was really glad my boyfriend didn't join me -I would've been embarassed because this room in the dorm-style cottage was RIGHT on the same wall with the restroom , and the other wall I shared with a snoring woman. Loud and embarassing noises.It is just a weird setup. I was literally salivating over the white cottage next to me. Imagine a WHOLE house,

Thank god I was there in July-this room got very warm though, beats being cold. THE nearest
Surfing Beach is quite far away, too far to carry a longboard. Great snorkeling though.

The staff was great -especially the guys down at the Express tent where you get the umbrellas etc. Bring bottled water!! Good luck with those reservations...
Word to the wise, while you are there, if you wanted another night and couldn't get it-they will call you in the morning and offer another cottage to you if one comes available-they call everyone checking out that day-then they open it up to the general public at 11AM.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

We spent our Christmas at this wondeful spot on the Pacific Ocean. As someone who spent summers on the ocean and lived in Laguna Beach for over 30 years, this was like a trip down memory lane. Our cottage was well maintained, clean, quiet, spacious enough for our holiday party and romantic. The Beachcomber Restaurant is very good especially if you enjoy dining near the beach.

Making a reservation is VERY difficult as you must secure one 6 months in advance on a first-come first-served basis only.

• Liked — Ambience
  • Disliked — Securing a reservation
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Crystal Cove Beach Cottages? Share your experiences!