“Really great food, friendly, but understaffed” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 401 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
“Really great food, friendly, but understaffed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Would definitely return to this lovely French Bistro. Service was wonderful when we were the only party at 5pm on a Sunday, but when restaurant filled to capacity with the same one waiter and one assistant, we were all but forgotten. I hope someone was out sick, because the good was delightful. I especially loved the escargot, endive salad and ratatouille. My patents loved the chocolate mousse, but I didn't like the orange flavor. Moderately priced for the quality. Would have been a five if the place hadn't filled up.

Tequesta, Florida
“A little of France in Newport Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Visiting my sister in Balboa we asked for a local recommendation and she didn't hesitate to send us to the Pescadou Bistro. The food was fantastic and freshly prepared. They were busy and seemed understaffed during our "early" dinner.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
The O.C., California
“"French Bistro Done Right"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Do not let the "strip mall" location keep you away. You owe it to yourself to enjoy a well prepared meal after being disappointed at so many other haughty restaurants. French dishes the way they are suppose to be made. Service like you are suppose to get. Flavors like your taste buds are suppose to expect. ALL of the French specialties that you would expect are on the menu. Also, 3 fresh fishes. A good tip is to order a few of the smaller editions of the dinner portions so that you can try more items. On my last visit I had the smaller portions of Mussels Provencal and Cassoulet (either of which could have been large enough for dinner). Add a soup or salad and I was a happy and full camper. The wine list is limited, but well thought out. I usually bring wines from my own cellar and am more that happy to pay their fair corkage fee. The entire wait staff was more than attentive. The owners Jacque and Olga are great hosts. I guarantee that you will have a great dining experience. If you don't.....you can send me the bill!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Irvine, California
“Authentic French Food in Newport Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

If you are looking for truly genuine, wholesome freshly prepared French food prepared by one of the masters, then you should try Pescadou in Newport Beach. In spite of the name which seems to suggest mostly fish dishes, the place has a variety of wonderful traditional French meat dishes (duck a l'orange, cassoulet, lapin, beef bourgignon, boar roast etc).

We first had the soup du jour (a delicate creamy pumpkin soup), the home made pate as an appetizer togather with a salade verde. My wife Franca then had the fresh Idaho trout almondine, and I had a truly epic delicate boar stew served on a bed of spaetzle with a wonderful ribes (gooseberry) sauce. The latter was a special of the day, the boar's meat I was told comes from a farmer that the chef Jaques knows (no, he does not hunt his own boars).

Our friends had the traditional Boullabaisse, which was a good serving of fresh local fish, mussels and large shrimp, served as they should with the head on, all accompanied by toasted bread and a flavory tapenade on the side.

Instead of going for one large bottle of wine, we decided instead to embark on some adventurous wine tasting. First we had some white wines (one was a French Chardonnay), then some Bordeaux which was suggested to us. With the desserts we had some sweeter but rather intense white wine from the Guascogne whose name I forget, a somewhat stronger version of a Moscato.

For desserts we had the almond white chocolate nougatine, a chocolate mousse and a fruit dessert. We were told that all the desserts are freshly made at Pescadou by their pastry chef, and it certainly shows!

Service was impeccable and the price was right ... Five stars.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Irvine, California
“Unique Newport Beach Restauarant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This lovely French restaurant is a "find." I don't know of any like it in the area, and I've lived here for 35 years. Charming room, excellent service, and a clientele that is well-mannered: no loud talkers, at least on the weekend night we were there. The food was very good, but not outstanding. The beef bourgiugnon tasted too much like pot roast, but the mussels were excellent as was the fish special that my husband had. Dessert: one good, one excellent.
We will definitely return.

• Visited August 2013