“One of the most romantic restaurants in OC” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, Swiss
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Reservations
Corona del Mar, CA
“One of the most romantic restaurants in OC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Basilic Restaurant is an absolute gem. It is an intimate, 24 seat restaurant with stunningly good food. They use fresh California ingredients where possible with the exception the imported cheese and charcuterie, and then use classic French techniques.

My favorite dish here is the raclette because it is so hard to find in Southern California. I am also a big fan of their lamb and duck dishes.

They have an outstanding wine list, especially with French & Swiss wines at very reasonable mark-ups, a pet peeve of mine at many high end restaurants.

And while I like the desert there, our perfect evening is usually "desert" of a Balboa Bar or Frozen Banana from Dad's Donuts and a stroll around Balboa Island to top the evening.

• Visited February 2013

84% Recommend
Barcelona
“A Jewel and great food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We have lived in the OC 35 years. I think I am a foodie yet till yesterday I had not dined at this restaurant for all those years
It is definitely a hidden gem.
Five of us went and everyone was a foodie. Each one left with a happy smile on their face and plates completely clean.
They only sit 24 in the entire restaurant and it is usually full.
They have raclette which is the best I have had outside of Switzerland.
It is fantastic.
Then 2 people had the special of wild seabass, one had the veal, another the scallops, and I had the lamb.
Just superb in every sense.
Just one waiter served all the tables but he handled it well.
Parking can be a problem so go early.
The wine list was very adequate and reasonably priced.

• Visited March 2013
“As good as it gets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

This is a very special restaurant. While a very small location the food is as good as it gets. The service is second to none. This is my favorite.

San Diego, California
“Exceptional in every way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

We discovered Basilic quite by accident as we strolled around looking for a good place to eat dinner; what we got was an exceptional experience. My Swiss onion soup and my wife's carrot and fennel soup were outstanding. I had steak au poivre, and she had the rack of lamb, both cooked to perfection and wonderfully flavorful. We will always go back to Basilic when we're in the area. A real find!

Berkeley, California
“Unique!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

There's no place like this in the area. You truly feel as if you're in Europe. Only a half dozen tables, delicious food, romantic atmosphere. A special evening.