“Better going to Dominos” 1 of 5 stars

(949) 642-7880
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 55 & PCH
Dallas, Texas
“Better going to Dominos”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Well what can I say about this place that will not offend the owners and people that work there (which i dont want to do in any way). Here is probably the only one thing about this place that is worth, their wine list. The have fantastic progressions and prices are very very good. But the food is another story. You walk in the place and the first thing that strikes is the odor, it is bad, they have probably never cleaned the air ducks and still are using the same carpet from the day they open, the smell is that of cheap italian restaurant (like spaghetti factory or that kind of place). But we arrived late in town and they were open till midnight so there were not many choices. I ordered a capresse salad, it was ok. My wife and I ordered spaghetti she bolognese and I order pomodoro and basilico, I asked the waiter if the sauce was light and he said "yes" will the plates came and the whole plate was covered by sauce, you could not see the pasta just a think layer of tomato sauce looked and tasted as if someone had just poor a jar of over the counter bad tomato sauce on top of the plate...I would go to this place again to buy a good bottle of wine and then drink it in another place, but never to eat or even drink there.

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
Midwest
“Excellent Ambience, Excellent Food"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

The Fruitti de Mare is excellent, the jumbo shrimp cocktail was good, and the chocolate mousse cake was divine. Our waiter Michael was friendly and very attentive. Great for a date night or night out with friends if you have a few extra dollars to spend on wonderful cuisine. Classy band playing live music quietly in the background, combined with beautiful views of the harbor at night. I'd go back to this place again and again. I highly recommend it!

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Laguna Beach, California
“No Longer a Regular Customer”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

We have been dining at Villa Nova for many years and have always left satisfied until we ate there on March 31st. I ordered the blackened shrimp with risotto and asked that it be prepared lightly blackened and it wasn't and what was served was barely eatable. The spices were way overdone and I imagine it was done to hide the fact that the shrimp was not fresh. I don't like to return my food so I brought it home and offered it to my husband who will eat just about anything, not this time. The fish odor was overwhelming and my 27.00 meal ended up in the trash. Very disappointing, we won't be eating here for a while. In addition, the service was poor.

• Visited March 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Washington
“Italian like my mother would have made if she were Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

We came looking for dinner and a place to watch college basketball. We went to the bar so we could watch the game and saw that they had a smaller bar menu. The place wasn't all that busy so the waitress offered to check with the manager and see if we could order off the restaurant menu. He agreed and so away we went. There were five us and everybody had something g different, nobody was disappointed with their selection. I thoroughly enjoyed my spaghetti and ravioli in a meat sauce.

The restaurant sports a great view of the water even from the bar. There is a great piano bar although we were too early to enjoy it. Will definitely return to eat here again.

• Visited April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Orange, California
“Unless you're a total snob, you will love this place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

My fiancee and I made reservations at Villa Nova for our anniversary. We like trying nice restaurants around the beach area as we are from Yorba Linda. My parents have enjoyed this restaurant many times with their friends, and I figured we could give it a shot.
The restaurant feels like an old Hollywood experience. The waiters are dressed in black and white, and ours was extremely charming with a good sense of humor. The menu had a wide enough selection, but the restaurant wasn't too proud to include a lot of basic Italian dishes. I ordered the pomodoro dish, and as simple as it was, it tasted amazing. It was perfect. My fiancee ordered the chicken marsala and loved it as well. We were given the most amazing view of the harbor with a booth, and we were able to watch the sunset over the harbor.
If you don't come expecting top-notch gourmet cuisine with fancy-schmancy presentation, you will love this place. It's great Italian food.

• Visited March 2010