“Sas it a bad night? Poor service and a $78 mistake on the bill?” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cannery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 359 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood, Sushi
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 32nd Street
So California
“Sas it a bad night? Poor service and a $78 mistake on the bill?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I had dinner last the Cannery on Tuesday July 3rd, 2012. I have been there before and I live locally. I was having a social and business dinner and we went for Sushi upstairs. I must admit I was surprised and NOT in a good way.

The sushi dinner took over 3 hours since the staff was too busy or distracted with other issues. 20 or 30 minutes would go by and we would see and hear from no-one. We refilled our own water glasses twice and I went to get the required place settings between courses and when the food came we had nothing to eat with. It is a big stretch to get plates, and chopsticks and soy sauce when sushi is delivered to the table? Particularly after waiting for 30 minutes?

Also.. our bill had a $78 mistake on it. Really? $78 on a $380 bill for 4? Of course I had to search the restaurant to find our waitress to have it corrected because she was not attending to us at all. Bad service and being overcharged? I hope I was an anomolly.

Not sure if it was because it was the night before July 4th but I was really disappointed. how can I take clients here again?

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Irvine, CA
“Great Happy Hour!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Read the menu carefully, as the food is 1/2 off but the drinks are not so have to watch that part. But the view is lovely upstairs pearched as if you are in a tree house with the water below. Sushi is excellent and by the time we left the sushi bar upstairs was completely full. Service is very helpful too.

Visited June 2012
Fordyce, Arkansas
“Very Nice Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Dined at The Cannery with three other couples in conjunction with a stay at nearby Pelican Hill Resort. We were seated on the outdoor deck overlooking the marina. Service was very nice and the food was outstanding. Good sushi and seafood appetizers followed by an assortment of surf and turf main courses. Found nothing to complain about.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Texas
“Try the Pear Ravioli Appetizer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Food and service was very good. The Pear Ravioli Appetizer was wonderful, although could have been our dessert! The salad of the day with Arugula, Strawberries and Honeydew Melon was quite nice. The waiter had the kitchen split the portion onto 2 plates for my wife and me. We both had the Chilean Sea Bass over rice and agree that it was among the best we have had. Our early dinner on the patio was delightful.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Yorba Linda, California
“Over rated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Filet mignon was fair at best. My wife had the bouillabaisse and commented it was average. The choices of salad were bland. Much better off going to Morton's. The Cannery is just atmosphere. In fact, the couple behind us had to return their dinner as it was under cooked.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere