“I'll Be Back” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Orange County, Ca
“I'll Be Back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Having lived in Orange County for 10+ years now, I thought it was time to try this Newport Beach landmark restaurant. Being from the Chesapeake Bay/Washington DC area, I’m a bit of a snob when it comes to Crabs. I wouldn’t dare try the Crab Cakes here since they resembled a flat deep fried patty. I did however go with the crab cocktail. It was deliciously fresh and I was quite pleased. My companion opted for a cup of the “World Best Clam Chowder”. The chowder is Manhattan style, it had a good taste to it but it was far from the best. The clams were plentiful but a bit chewy. We also ordered the shrimp n scallop skewer and the Alaskan crab legs. Both were wonderful and cooked perfectly. As others noted, everything is served with paper plates and plastic, this didn’t bother me at all. I do wish the beer cups were larger. The service was friendly and excellent!

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Dallas
“If you want to spend a lot of money on bad seafood...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

We wanted to like this place, but it was AWEFUL. The fish smell when we walked in should've been our first clue. And although the service was excellent, the food was some of the worst we've ever eaten, seafood or not. The king crab was overpriced and overcooked, had the texture and flavor of rubber. The crab cakes were OK, I've had much better. The shrimp and scallions were so offensive to my taste it pushed me over the edge and I sent it back. I don't think I've ever sent back food in my life. We felt we wasted one of our vacation meals and a good chunk of money at this place. Very disappointed.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Briarcliff Manor, New York, United States
“Great local place for fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Loved this place. Food was super. Prices great. You really feel like you are in a local place. You must go here. Great chowder, swordfish and mussels. Very fresh.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fair Oaks, California
“Not fancy but great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We met friends here and were very pleasantly surprised by how wonderful the food was and how friendly the service even though they were very busy. It is nothing fancy - with paper plates, plastic utensils and glasses but the food is great! Be prepared to wait as it can get crowded but it is worth the wait. I will go back the next time I am in Newport Beach or anywhere in the area - worth a drive.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Simi Valley, California
“Great lunch spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Nothing fancy but tastes good! We stopped for lunch at the middle of a bike ride. It was nice and cool inside, service was friendly and food hit the spot. The chowder was a great blend of clams and veggie soup - different then I have had before but yummy!