“Save your money!” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Denver, Colorado
“Save your money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Our waitress was nice. The food was far from good. The soft shell crabs were frozen and tasteless...also very small. I even wondered if they were legal! Their clam chowder was gluey like it was full of cornstarch. Coleslaw was overboard with onions.
Not sure what people rave about. I know it's been around for a long time. I guess the tourists keep it alive.

Visited April 2013

Hickory, North Carolina
“Favorite favorite favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Need I say more! If you like a local seafood joint with truly fresh seafood... No need to look any further..ohhhh soft shell crab n tarter sauce....the handmade cracker knots for the world famous chowder deserve a grade of their own! Don't be afraid of the line at the door! Totally worth it!

Visited April 2013
Torrance, California
“Fun joint! Paper plates and cups, but awesome fish and chowder!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Some friends of ours took us here, and we looked it. The clam chowder is the red kind, but it was very good. The fish was fresh and the Bread delicious. It's a place full of character and charm. The service was excellent, and the waitresses some of them have been there more than 30 years. It is a legnedary place. I did not find it touristy or pricey for Newport Beach. We had a great time. It's noisy, and lots of fun. Parking is tough, however. They do not make reservations. We went around 5:30 PM on a Saturday night and got right in. Left around 7 and there was already a line.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
SO CAL
“PAST ITS PRIME....WAY PAST!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Thought I would stop here for a quick lunch as it had been a number of years since my last visit.

This restaurant is a Newport Beach staple for many years.

After being seated I ordered clam chowder and a round loaf of bread. The bread has a harder crust that completely crumbles all over when you break into the loaf. Oh by the way it costs $1.50. My chowder came in a little cup and it was orange. When I inquired the waitress told me that they only serve Manhattan Chowder not New England. Why they wouldn't serve the most popular chowder is beyond me. Also why wouldn't the waitress mention that when you order it.

So the waitress kindly took it back and I ordered the grilled salmon lunch. My lunch comes and I notice the salmon piece is not very large and is partially covered in skin. Since you normally would never eat salmon skin I had no idea why it was on there. Upon pulling off the skin I noticed that brown color skin sometime you see on fish. So after I trimmed that off there wasn't a whole lot of fish left. What was there was OK.

The potatoes come in a little round circle and are mashed with a little cheese melted on top. They tasted OK but again nothing to rave about.

Coleslaw was OK but not a lot of flavor.

If you are looking for flatware and dishes don't bother. McDonalds style plastic forks, spoons and knives along with paper plates and cups are the serving elements.

My bill with Diet Coke was about $15.

I will never go to this place again. I really don't know how they stay in business year after year. I guess people are attracted by the exterior look of the restaurant and the name.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Winchester VA
“Fun place to eat OK seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is a legendary place that was even written up in the NY Times. It's down-home and touristy, with a bus arriving while we were there. Very simple food, somewhat pricey, but the quality was good and the seafood fresh. We enjoyed the clam chowder, though I would dispute their claim of "world's best." They also served excellent friend squid (not listed as calamari), which was incredibly fresh. A limited beer selection and paper plates/plastic utensils make this a very quick meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere