“Very Nice Place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 17 hotels in Newport Beach
Mukilteo
“Very Nice Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

We purchased a time share with Marriott last year and our home resort is Horizons in Orlando. Have yet to stay at Horizons, but after staying at Newport Beach, maybe we should've bought one here. Very nice place, landscaping and pools. Service was excellent, and had a decent view of PCH and the coast from our unit. BBQ area next to our building was very convenient, and used every night. We were in the same building as The Cove which was the room for all the childrens activities, actually right below our room. Lots of games you can bring to your room and movies (free) for a night of popcorn eating. Our sixteen year old even hooked up with some others his age, so we had both kids happy and occupied, our youngest is 7. Newport Beach area is apparently one of the more expensive places in the US to live, as is evidenced by the amazing total of exotic cars that frequent the roads there. No kidding, every fifth car you see is either a Ferrari, Maserati, Aston Martin or German machine. And no cars are over five years old, either. I think our rental Taurus was the oldest car on the road. Enjoyed a couple of meals out, and I recommend the Crab Shack for extremely fresh fish/seafood. Living in Seattle area, fresh is the key word, and amenities are not necessary for a great meal. Can't remember the names of the other two places, but they are recommended in MSN's Best Of website. I would recommend the Villas, but I just feel the surrounding area and people are a little "better than thou", and not really the salt of the earth type, who I tend to relate better to. Beautiful place, though.

• Liked — Nice large room, nice pools. Kid activities daily.
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

1,001 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2007

Last August we spent three days at the Marriott New Port Coast Villas and hereby report that it was an exceptional experience. Although not right on the water, the beach was easily accessable, however there was so much to do, we never went to the beach. Both LA and San Diego are drivable for day trips, with all their respective amenities. The Villa was spacious, clean and well decorated. I highly recommend this resort, however it is extremely difficult to get summer reservations.

• Liked — Spacious and well laid out
  • Disliked — No view of the ocean
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2007

We purchased a week here during the holiday season. We own 4 timeshares and this is the most beautiful. The room was a little difficult to get to by elevator but had stairs close, which we used sometimes but was a little inconvenient. The master bedroom had a gorgeous view of the ocean and we really enjoyed having breakfast on the patio. One thing we didn't like was you had to get in your car to go anywhere-nothing close you can just walk to. The staff was not friendly at all-but it could be that we were there during the holiday season and the regulars were off.

New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2007

We stayed a week here during presidents week. The property is very pretty, and the views from the main pool are lovely. We had no view at all from our room however. The rooms are very spacious and well equipped, the master bathroom is beautiful. But, I couldn't believe that they do not supply ANY toiletries. One very small bottle of mediocre shampoo was ALL that was in the bathrooms. Also, there is absolutely NO service to the rooms during your stay. We had to call and request clean towels, which took them forever, so I finally washed a load of towels. This would be fine if they provided detergent, which they do not. They barely supply enough garbage bags for the kitchen for five days and 4 packages of dishwasher detergent (no regular dish detergent at all). All of that was a bit disappointing, but the rest of our stay was very nice. My kids loved the pool. We really didn't spend much time at the hotel, we did a lot of sightseeing. The staff at the front desk do not offer much area information at all.
I wouldn't pay the rates requested to stay here again. You could get much more at a regular hotel.

• Liked — The spacious rooms
  • Disliked — staff and maid service
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2007

I own in Puerto Vallarta Mexico and exchanged my week for the Marriott Newport Coast Villas. Although this was not my Mexican Riveria vacation, the property was excellent. The two bedroom units are spacious and nicely finished out. The only major complaint I have is no maid service during the week. You can call for a towel exchange for free - otherwise any other service costs you $$. I paid $40 for one partial cleaning with sheets changed out. I'm used to daily maid service at my condo. Otherwise, the staff was friendly, the resort was fun - big fire pit, video game room, large pools, etc. I was able to get a late check-out at 11:00 and a free parking voucher for the state park across the street (otherwise $10 - just ask at the front desk for one). We ate their pizza from the small shop - it was good - but otherwise no restaurants onsite yet. When the property is completed, there may be more to offer.

You definately need a car for this vacation. My favorite area was Laguna Beach - fun shopping and artist area. Many other areas to visit within an hour's drive.

We participated in the timeshare presentation - $150 voucher for the outdoor mall. Was worth it for a non-high pressure presentation.

Overall, if this is the location you're looking for (CA), I would recommend this resort. It just doesn't have as much to offer on-site as others I've stayed at in Mexico with beachfront activities and restaurants.

Stayed February 2007
on the road
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2007

My wife and I stayed the week of Feb 3-10 as a trade in another Marriott timeshare which we bought last year so this was our first timeshare experience. We specifically picked this time as we hoped all the kids would be in school. Another couple were to join us but backed out so we ended up with 2 large bedrooms, kitchen, dining area, living room etc. all to ourselves. Our was in the 1600 block (its a huge overall facility) which overlooked a golf course (not Marriotts). While I new we had others all around us we never heard any sounds (no toilets flushing, doors slamming showers running - it was the quietest place I ever stayed in. Unlike what others may have experienced I found everything 100% immaculate. But I would agree that the tiles are loose and cracking in the kitchen & bathrooms (I've already mentioned it to management). I also noticed it took a long time to get hot water out of the showers but once it flowed there was plenty. These two are minor complaints. We didn't use any services except the pool and coffee shop which were both fine. It was a timeshare swap so we did not have room service each day but it was available for an extra fee. Management should have mentioned that they have a deal with the supermarket up the street (Pavilion) where by mentioning Marriott you can get all the discounts of a regular shopper (my wife found out by asking at the Pavilion Service desk). Also know the state park is across the street and follows the ocean so its only 10 minutes to the beach. But is a nice leisurely walk but I would not do it with beach chairs etc. You can drive down and park there for $10/day (marriott front desk has a 1st come 1st served pass). But even the park is 100 feet up on a bluff over the beach so you need to walk quiet a way even from the parking lot. Also know that the quickes way to the hotel using highways is to connect to Route 73 (toll road). It may cost you $4.00 but it has a direct exit to Newport Coast Drive which for some reason doesn't show up on many maps (which is odd as it's a huge road). We went off-season for the beaches so the water was too cold to swim and anyone in the water had wetsuites on. But It is a beach community and must be VERY busy when things warm up. It is also a good place to see things but like everything in CA there is a lot of driving (we put on 1,000 miles!) to get most places- but the signage is great! Yes I would stay here again.

• Liked — it was beautiful & clean
  • Disliked — some loose tiles in entryway and bathrooms.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northwest US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2007

It's a lovely resort if you don't look too close. We had a fully stocked suite with a wonderful view. The location is convienient. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and the pools are warm.

On the surface it seems luxurious but in reality it is more like a fake designer handbag. You think you're getting Italian leather but it's actually pleather made in China.

Our first night we ordered from their laughable onsite food menu via roomservice. Cold sandwhiches. The quoted wait was 1 hour. It took over 2 hours because they lost our order the first time around. All that hassle for a dry club sandwhich and bland potato salad.

My main complaint is that the rooms were dirty. The basics like the showers and sinks were clean but the decor had obviously never been cleaned more than a light dusting. I'm not a clean freak but when I moved a lightweight wicker chair to make room for my baby's crib the floor looked like it had never been vaccumed under the furniture. The dirt and grime was thick. It was gross.

There was a large stain by the bed that, I kid you not, looked like blood. There was splatter on the nightstand.

The tile floors were cracked and one tile was even loose. In some places the carpet was coming up. Some mornings the water temp in the shower never got above luke warm. The TV in the livingroom had issues with the picture. The DVD player would shut off in the middle of a movie.

Lots of little things that if it were just one it would be no big deal. But all together it made for a mediocre stay.

Maybe I just expect more for almost $400 a night.

The management should really take a closer look at the suites and do a better job of keeping them up. It won't be long before they will have to be completely remodeled.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The quality of the rooms.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!