“Want to return soon!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Want to return soon!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

This was my first time to stay at this property. I am a Platinum Elite Marriott Rewards member but that means literally nothing to the staff here. Acceptably, this property is a time share vacation club and the fact gets mentioned and emphasized many times whenever you check out something with the front desk. So if anyone is staying here and expecting special treatment or perks because of their elite status, then they are in for a big disappointment. Even getting a villa on a higher floor is not possible as most of the best villas are only for the owners and guest have to make do with whatever is left available.
Having said that, we enjoyed ourselves nevertheless very much in this luxury upscale property. We drove from LAX and the journey takes about an hour depending upon the traffic which is bad for most of the time.
For me, the “never go lost” GPS was a real blessing and I just cannot drive without it now. There are 2 approaches to the hotel, one via a toll free road and the other to avoid it. The toll is pricey at about 5 dollars each entry.
The property is located atop a hill and the views are great. We arrived at night time and it was only after waking up in the morning did we fully appreciate the fantastic views. We had a villa on the outer section so we got a partial ocean view and view of the main building- villa 3510. We had been lucky to get a parking space every time but it can be quite difficult at times. There are luggage trolleys available near the elevators to take your bags.
The villa was tastefully decorated and has a good size living room and dining area with a full kitchen as well as a washer/ dryer in a closet- a real benefit when traveling with kids. This space is connected to a bedroom from each end and each bedroom is ensuite- the master having a Jacuzzi tub in the bedroom area- something I really don’t like very much and prefer it to be in the bathroom. There is a small balcony from the living room where you can enjoy the view – of you have one.
Housekeeping is provided free for guests and is charged for owners. Free wireless internet was handy as well as free parking. There are no convenience stores or restaurants in walking distance and you would really be foolish to stay here without a car. The area is beautiful and a short drive to Newport Beach and Laguna Beach brings you to lots of beautiful ships and restaurants.
Overall we had a great time and look forward to return to this property again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

I have a timeshare thru Marriott and requested an exchange thru Interval International. I accidently entered the wrong search date. I intended to go in the summer but immediately received a confirmation for January 10 thru the 17. Oh Boy, I thought who wants to go on vacation in January when the chance of a flight from CT to anywhere has a good chance of being cancelled due to weather. Then I read the reviews, which were mixed. I almost cancelled but something told me not to. I decided to keep the reservation got a great deal on airfare and started to read more positive reviews. CAN I TELL YOU HOW THANKFULL I AM THAT I DIDNT CANCELL??!! The Newport Coast Villas are spectacular!!
Ive been to several Marriott timeshare villas and have to say this is the nicest one so far! I got some great tips here from previous reviews and some other helpful Tripadvisor members. So thanks to all.
Keep in mind I have never been to Souther CA so wasnt sure what to expect. OH MY, I am ready to move. We left cold CT and flew into SNA. We arrived at the marriott at night so couldnt appreciate the views until the next am. The girl at the desk was lovely and friendly. I asked for and received an oceanview villa in the higher number buildings. We had room 3843. The view overlooked the golfcourse, the ocean, and the beautiful grounds.
From what I read here, the higher the number the newer the building. Get a room on a higher floor, youll see the oceam better.
The room:
SPOTLESS clean, everything looked brand new to me. We had a patio/deck off the main living room and a small balcony off the master bedroom. We kept the door to the balcony open all night for the nice cool air. Woke up to the sunrise. I cant tell you how many times we said "Can you believe how beautiful this is??" There was only my husband and I and we really enjoyed having 2 bathrooms, no waiting for the other to finish showering, and I could spread out all my toiletiries!. The tub in the MB is pretty but its not a jacuzzi (no jets) so that was a little disappointing. The 2nd bedroom does not have a view, but its pretty big and very nice.
The resort: we went off season so plenty of room at the pool. But I hear its jammed during the summer.
Meticulously maintained grounds. the resort is big and sprawling and hilly. Great for morning walks for some exercise but may be too much for elderly people. If you are looking for a cozy, smaller resort this is not the place for you. The lobby is beautiful, as is the pool. There is construction but it was not noisy at all. There is snack bar (open 11 am to 5)at the pool that serves snacks, burgers, beer, and array of frozen libations.The frozen drinks were very pricey but the draft beers were only 2.50. Service is good. They are in the process of building a big bar at the pool but its not near completion just yet. The market is well stocked and they make awesome omlets in the lobby in the am. If you are young 20 somethings and looking for a big party atmosphere, you probably are better off elsewhere.
The weather:
Absolutely perfect all week. It was 70-85 degrees during the day, but NO humidity. You could wear a long sleve t shirt and jeans and never sweat. We also sat by the pool a couple days and it was just the right temp. Not a cloud in the sky all week.
The area: y
ou will need a car and do yourself a favor and get GPS. We couldnt have survived without it. We drove up and down Pacific Coast highway which is a nice drive. many restaurants within a short drive. Go shopping at Pavillions/Vons grocery store. Its really nice and they give the Marriott guest a great discounts. I saved $30. There is a great Mexican restaurant right down the street called Javiers. Its pricey but really, really cool, great atmosphere, good food and drinks. Dont go to El Ranchitto if you are looking for a good Margarita--yuk-- the food was ok though.

you will be with resonable driving distance to San Diego, LA, Hollywood, so get ready to do some great sight seeing. Ohh, and aat the Fashion Mall I got a great bargain in Bloomingdates on Prada sunglasses!!! I just love them and feel so good knowing I paid a thrid of what they were originally asking.
ok, Ive gone on long enough. if I didnt already own at Marriott I would have bought a week here. I cannot wait to go back. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Judy

• Liked — view, cleanliness, friendly staff
  • Disliked — no jacuzzi in room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

We are owners at NCV and stayed here Christmas week. The property is beautiful, but very large and hilly – getting from one end to the other is more than a casual stroll.

I called two months prior to arrival and again two weeks before check-in with room requests wanting something in buildings 4000, 4100, 4200, or 4500. When we arrived I was disappointed to find we were given a room in 4500. The front desk clerk was not concerned and said “well, we try to accommodate everyone’s requests.”

The room was spacious and well-appointed. The kitchen had everything we needed to prepare the meals we ate in. The couch (that doubled as a fold out bed) was not very comfortable, but we did not spend a lot of time in the living room. The balcony had a round table with four chairs that was great for coffee in the mornings!

We did not use the facilities other than the Teen Shack. My 17 year old said the room had 2 Playstations and 2 televisions, which was enough to keep him amused. I did go to the activities center to pick up a parking pass for Crystal Cove – only one per villa that has to be turned in at the end of each day. Only one vehicle can be parked in front of the villas. A couple of us did walk back/forth to Crystal Cove Beach that took 15-20 minutes.

My grandmother has a disabled placard and the front desk said she had to use the primary pass to park in one of the handicap spots by the villa. I decided I needed the hike to the parking garage after all the Christmas goodies. The wifi was on the blink for about 24 hours and when the front desk was made away a voicemail was sent to everyone to advise they were aware of the problem and were working on it. When it was fixed another voicemail was sent to let the guests know. Construction is still going on and could be heard during the daytime hours, but we were not around enough to be bothered.

I cannot add anything else to the other reviews. NCV is a beautiful property and we look forward to returning.

• 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

I, too, am staying at the Marriott Coast Villas as I type my review.

We scored and got a 2 bedroom suite in the 3900 block with a killer ocean view. I can't say enough about the view as we have a balcony overlooking Crystal Cove. The master bedroom also has a mini balcony where you can open up the french doors to enjoy the ocean breeze.

The rooms are quite spacious and the bedrooms are nicely furnished. We really enjoyed our balcony during sunset hours.

The 3 TV's we have are not of the HD variety and on the one in the common area had a DVD player.

The walls are not as well insulated as you would expect from a Marriott category 5/6 property. You can hear voices outside as well as from the grounds below (despite being on the 4th floor).

No restaurants on the premises, though they are planning to build an upscale steakhouse on-site in 2010. Plenty of restaurants north of the property in Corona Del Mar or Newport Beach proper. There's also a Trader Joes, 2 lights south on Coast Hwy.

• Liked — The view from the property
  • Disliked — noise (e.g., shower or people walking outside)
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

We are staying at the villas as we are writing this review - we have two weeks here from December 21 to January 3 (we got the first week as an Interval International exchange and rented the second week from an owner at a great last minute price).

I will summarize the good and the bad. First, there were differences between the two units - the first week we had an older unit (unit #2813), first floor, with parking lot view, no flat screen TVs, some outdated furnishings, etc. Unless you are an owner and you book 12-13 months in advance, it is hard to get a view. In the first unit we had no cell phone reception, and we do have two cells - one with Nextel and the other is T-Mobile; we had to walk on the patio or out on the parking lot to catch a few lines of signal and be able to talk - and it costs $6.99 a minute for domestic calls! The second week we were able to get a second floor unit in room 4326, with a nice ocean view - and you can tell the difference - this unit has flat screen TVs, newer furnitures, fixtures, everything is better. We were told they could give us a better view/unit because the owner did book six months in advance the unit. I believe that the lower number buildings (the one and two thousands) are older and the higher you go in numbers, the newer the units are.

On the good side: nice size apartments, with all amenities you will need, nice location in Newport Beach up on the hills by Pacific Highway, although still far the beach; within driving distance from restaurants, Fashion Island Mall, etc, but you do need a car, distances are huge; there is a shuttle that you can book for a free ride to Fashion Island Mall, and they even took us to the airport (Santa Ana) to pick up our rental car (we did tip the driver generously); nice landscaping on the property, with a luxury feel to the apartments; as long as you get a view, there are beautiful sunsets - although there are only two chairs on the balcony, you may want to bring extras so you can enjoy the sunset with the whole family. We did not use the pool since it is December/January, but it seemed nice. The apartment has dishwasher detergent packets, a sponge for washing dishes, and dishwasher soap for dishes; only sufficient detergent for one load of laundry so you may want to get some extra if you wash more than one load; kitchen has towels, paper towels; also salt and pepper packets are available in the unit. Otherwise all cuttlery, pots and pans that you will need are there. The appliances are not too new and not too old - they are ok.

On the bad side: unit walls/ceilings are not at all well isolated, I can hear all the neighbours walking upstairs, when doors are closed the floors are shaking, I can hear the water from the next door unit running in the morning; the internet connection is slower than average (it is free however); again domestic calls are $6.99 a minute and if you plan to use your cell, check that your connection works in the unit especially if you get a first floor in building 2800 where we stayed. Also, there is something about the whole place that makes me feel like I am renting a decent more upscale apartment rather than being at a resort on vacation. Because the buildings are spread out, with parking lots in between and drivable roads, it all feels less like a resort or vacation experience and more like you are staying in a nice apartment complex. Also the beach is a good distance down the hill, we did not venture walking, but the distance, even when you do have a view, ruins that "oceanview" feel.

There is only one parking spot per apartment available in front of your apartment, you can get a second spot in the parking garage if you need to, but it may be good walking distance from the garage to the unit.

This depends on your taste, but we like hard beds and these are on the soft side.

Overall, I would only stay here if I needed the extra space and the price was great (like a last minute rental or exchange), or perhaps stay here in the summer when you can use the pool facilities. Otherwise it's a long way to the beach, you need to drive, find parking, etc.

If you have any questions we can answer, let us know.

• Liked — spacious apartments, nice Newport Beach area, nice landscaping
  • Disliked — hard to get nice view, far from beach, no cell connection in some units, insufficient noise isolation, slow internet, no resort feel
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

The folks at the Marriott Newport Coast Villas have nailed down the 'home away from home" theme with this Villa Resort. I've never felt more at home than I did at the NCV. My family and I are Marriott Owners and this was a great vacation.

The Good:
Pretty much everything!!! They have free WiFi, King Triton's Cove for the little ones was fabulous, as was the arcade and teen area in the main building. Just below and off the main building, there is a little park with a playground, putting green and basketball court. There was also a tennis court but it wasn't in this area. The Marketplace served Starbucks, Pizza Hut, it's own signature Subs and some other grocery items Many, many awesome views are seen throughout the grounds as words just can't say enough about this property.

The Bad:
Not much.. The only thing my wife and I noticed were no drawers for stuff in the bathrooms and they didn't supply units with lotion. I know, nitpicky,, but that was all we could come up with.
I think we ended up with one of the older Villas, becuase we had 3 older model TV's. But, this in no way had an impact on our stay.

This is an A+++ Resort with upside, upside, upside written all over it. Enjoy your time here,,,you won't want to leave!

• Liked — The View
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Santa Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2008

First class all the way. Suite was gorgeous, wiifi, quiet. Front desk staff very organized and helpful. The grounds and views are excellent. Two differernt friends have stayed here and their praises were right on.

• Liked — The suite and grounds were outstanding.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!