“Still good, but some changes” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rewards Members Save 25%
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Redlands, California, USA
“Still good, but some changes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Eight years ago we spent a glorious August weekend at the Marriot's Newport Coast Villas and were enticed to buy a week of timeshare. Since then, we have either booked a week in the fall or have traded out to other resorts. This July was the first time we actually went back during the summer. Now that the resort and my kids are a little older, I discovered a few changes which were either new or that I had overlooked before. Here's what I noticed during my summer vacation stay:

1. Unlike in the fall, the resort is very crowded during the summer months. There's a lot of traffic in general. Parking in front of your building can be a challenge. The pools are full, and it can be noisy. However, if you have children and are subject to a school schedule, a summertime visit just makes sense.

2. Summer weather is not always sunny like in the movies. I live in Southern California, so I know all about June Gloom--that early morning coastal fog which usually burns off by the pm. However, this year we also experienced an unusual tropical storm which came up from Mexico and brought some much needed rain. Great for the environment, but not great for sunbathing.

3. Contrary to what I thought, owners do not automatically get a view. I was surprised when I opened the curtain to my balcony and saw the back of another building, even though I had requested a "top floor." When I asked to be moved, the front desk staff said that they were completely booked, but I could come back later in the week to see if something else came available. I was going to take them up on their suggestion, until I discovered that trying to move teenagers is like trying to herd cats. It's just not going to happen, not even for an ocean view.

2. The Marriott Villas resort is still stunning, especially when you catch sight of the property while driving down Newport Coast Drive with the shimmering Pacific Ocean in the background. I also noticed that the foliage has grown in, creating a truly Tuscan paradise. The rooms themselves, while still spacious and clean, now seem slightly tired.

3. The location of the resort is still unparalleled. If you have little kids, it makes a wonderful base for visiting Legoland, Disneyland, Laguna Beach, and Corona Del Mar. This time with teenage girls in tow, we spent most of our time shopping at Fashion Island, Spectrum, South Coast Plaza, and The Lab. And when they ran out of spending money, there was always the US Open in Huntington Beach and the Orange County Fair. Interests may have changed, but the Marriott Villas resort is still centrally located for summertime activities.

4. However, you really don't have to leave the resort to have fun. They now offer a wide array of exercise activities-- yoga, zumba, beach walks, and tennis--not to mention two small but adequate gyms. The kids' club seems to have been expanded, with some sort of craft or game going on all day long. Plus, there is now a small cinema showing mostly kid-friendly movies throughout the day with free popcorn (and adult-themed movies on a couple of nights).

5. While the resort offers many organized activities, teenagers don't particularly like being organized. However, I noticed that my daughter and her friend seemed perfectly happy to hang out with other teenagers at the ping pong and pool tables at the main pool area. They also enjoyed ordering snacks at the Vista Grill or pizza from the Market.

6. When we took our timeshare tour years ago, we were told that the Preview Center would eventually be converted into a restaurant and a larger gym facility. There is still no full-service restaurant on site, but there are many great places to eat nearby. However, teenagers like fast food, and the closest fast food chains I could find were about 15-20 minutes away.

7. Finally, the resort lacks a dedicated, adults-only pool. While there is a "quiet pool", it is located right next to the boisterous main pool, so it's not really conducive for late afternoon naps.

Overall, we had a good time at the Newport Villas this summer. The resort is conveniently located in a very beautiful area of Southern California. While my kids are now older, the resort is still suitable for our needs. The second bedroom and bathroom are particularly nice, providing teenagers with their own space. Next year, though, I will probably come in the fall, when the weather is better and the crowds are less.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Danville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Marriott offered us (Marriott Reward Members) a great deal to come check out this property as a potential time share purchase. The deal was too good to pass up, so while we had little interest in purchasing we chose to visit in July. We had friends from Texas fly in to meet us and the 4 of us shared the two bedroom/two bath room.

Really appreciated how the villa was set up so that each couple had as much privacy as possible, with the bedrooms located on the opposite sides of the villa. Everything was fabulously clean. The kitchen was well equipped, the balcony large, lots of space to spread out.

The resort itself was well landscaped, the pools were well attended, but not too crowded to find a seat. There is a "quiet" pool which was a nice escape from the main pool used by the families. There are number of scheduled activities for resort guests; we enjoyed the wine and cheese hour. It is a beautiful resort and we were glad to visit.

If you have a choice, choose to visit just after school starts in the fall as that would likely be one of the best times for the weather (less clouds/fog) and also give you the largest choice of room selection. We went when it was busy and we were not able to get one of the units with a better view. Those premium view units are given first to timeshare owners, not those who are just coming to check out the place.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is great place to have a relaxing break but also you can get to LA and San Diego in just over an hour. Whale watching is 30 mins away.
Only disappointment was no

bathrobes or anywhere to dry stuff that can't be tumbled eggs swimsuits.

• Stayed August 2014
Alpine, UT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

In Sum:
> Ample room for family of 3-5.
> Great ocean views
> Fun pools
> Spa, Weight Room, Kid Activities
> Good value for area

We've stayed in the Newport area so many times over the past 25 years and have found these villas to be a really good solution to meet multiple family needs. Originally we planned to rent a home in Corona Del Mar, wanting to be as close to the beach as possible. As attractive as that is, our daughters loved the pools that the Villas provided. Add to that the weight room, spa, kid activities, price, and we opted for the latter.

We love the less well know beaches of North Laguna, so getting in the car would be necessary regardless where in Newport we stayed. There is so much to do in the general area and we found this to be a good central location with amazing views of the Ocean.

We've already booked for next year!

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean and Pool view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Best Marriott Vacation Club so far! We have used some of the Orlando one's over the last few years, so had a good idea what to expect from these Villas. Our two bed Villa/condo was up to scratch. Had all the facilities you would expect. The complex is large and apartment blocks can be spread around, but ours was near the basketball court which was only a short uphill stroll to the pool and reception area. The complex could do with a few more staircases to get people up to this area, as it can be a long walk uphill from some of the apartment blocks! Pool area is large with lots of good areas to sit and catch some rays. As a European visitor I do wish American pools where a bit deeper, they never seem to be more than 1-1.6m. Makes swimming more difficult, but this is merely a personnel complaint. Location is very good, just a couple of miles into Newport centre and a short distance to Crystal Cove, Laguna Beach etc. also for families it's only 25/30 mins down the freeway to Anahiem and all it's attractions. Although there is a small coffee shop and store on site, it's only 10mins drive to the nearest mall. Another personnel issue for me and my wife is although Marriott has a pool bar on this site, they close very early, so you have to go off site for a night out. But this is common at most vacation clubs we have used. Plus point is no late night noise. Golf lovers have access to the course over the road!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

My family and I have been to this resort 3 years in a row during spring break. I think that alone should say how we feel about this place ... it's Fantastic!

Since I have a large family (4 kids), I am often looking for 2 bedroom units to accommodate my family's needs. And I am a big fan of Marriott Vacation Club properties ... because they have it all! Plenty of space in the unit, full kitchen, living area, 2 BR, 2 BA. You get the idea.

This particular property is one of the best! Beautifully manicured grounds, incredible views of the ocean, amenities for all ages, and close proximity to a variety of activities ... which is great for a family that has very different tastes.

About the location ... this Marriott is situated between LA and San Diego, which makes visiting either city quite convenient.

Can we make it 4 years in a row? Only time will tell.

Room Tip: I recommend you ask for units with a great view of the ocean. High floor does not always work, so b...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Norwell, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

I read on some other reviews that you can't get in prior to checking of 4 pm and thought everyplace says this and I have never had an issue at any other Marriott. Well, there was NO chance of us getting in a minute prior to 4pm. The place was totally sold out (such a nice place) and I think this is likely the case often, so plan accordingly. The property is very beautiful and so nice. Parking is one spot per unit then additional cars in the garage--they reinforce the warning/towing, so beware. The pools are a bit crowded early, but you can take the shuttle to a handful of gorgeous West coast beaches that the Marriott offers. It is very convenient. Also....the (only) bar/grille at the pool on the property outside closes at 7 pm most nights and 8 Sat and Sun nite. Centrally located right between Laguna and Newport Beaches- this makes for a great stay. We love it and will return!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!