“Proposal Week at the Marriott” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Arizona
“Proposal Week at the Marriott”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

First time at the Marriott Villas in Newport.

Nice enough resort. We had the large, 2 bedroom suite which was great. We used one room just to throw all our luggage and travel junk in. That room was nicer than most master suites we've been in at other resorts. Had a couch, large TV, and a nice size bed. The master suite was huge; with a large tub, separate shower room, etc... Gorgeous renovations taking place.

They seem to be re-carpeting the place, repainting, and adding new base and headboards.
Room we received had an ocean view... which we enjoyed tremendously in the chilly, December mornings.

The furniture is what's dated. Looks like they purchased furniture en-mass from some Florida retirement home. But the fixtures balance it out. Nice granite counter-tops, nice table chandeliers, brushed-nickle plated door knobs, etc...

The reason we're giving it a 4-star review is not because the resort isn't nice... it is. But it's the small things that 5 star resorts do that put them in those categories. I would give it a 3.5, but that isn't an option.

We stay at a lot of resorts, because we travel a lot. Fireplaces, dinner table pre-set upon arrival, jetted tubs in the nicer rooms, breakfast, etc... For instance... to save a few bucks, the management has decided to set all the LG, flat-screen TV's to the most energy efficient setting. I have an LG TV just like theirs at home. The setting they use makes the TV so dark, it's almost impossible to watch unless you turn off every light in the villa. And they "lock" the TV, so you can't change the adjustment. Small annoyance. At the front desk they charge for DVD rental, at the kid-zone station in our complex, they were free.

The worst part was the sleep quality. We were in a 3rd level room, and apparently there's a 4th. We must have stayed in a room under the Ugandan Olympic Track & Field team's room, because there was non-stop banging and booming all night... every night, for a week.

We stayed because we were the recipients of a great deal. We liked the resort well enough to return, but probably would check out other places first. Nice enough staff. Grounds are clean and nice. Pool area is great, although a little busy, and the gym is great.

Great location, just a few miles from Laguna beach, which we love, and a few miles to Newport downtown.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I'm actually torn about what to write. We'd never been to Newport Beach before and were very much looking forward to it. The problem is the resort could have been anywhere as it's somewhat removed. We had a 2 bedroom suite and that was simply great. The value was also a plus as it wasn't that expensive. From there though it was not a place we said we'd go back to. I'd like to give Newport another shot, just not here.
First, it's removed from the beach so to go anywhere, you have to drive, period. That takes some of the joy out of it for me. The beach is maybe a mile or so but not a great walk. I would normally think a resort would compensate for this by having a great facility with all services but it was just the opposite. This was more of the eat in, cook in, drive out kind of place. There is no restaurant on site to speak of other than a bar/cafe by the pool with a very limited menu and they closed by 6PM. No breakfast either. Even the little shop with snacks closed early. This meant you had to drive or cook, period. I would have been fine with the remoteness if they served breakfast and dinner. I would have been fine without the services if we were closer to the beach or restaurants. This had neither. It was an attractive property and a nice pool with a number of activities so it has possibilities, just didn't make it for us. At least not for a return trip.

MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Love this resort but I was not thrilled that a rodent had free roam in the villa. While the housekeeping staff was quick to lay traps, I would have thought management would have been a bit more interested in guest's comfort. It seemed to be the norm that mice ran around in the rooms. No one was surprised.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
newport beach, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family has been staying at this property for at least two weeks a year, every year, for the last 10+ years. I can say, unequivocally, we have never had a bad time. We have never had a less than clean suite, always have dealt with a helpful and cheerful staff, have always seen well-maintained grounds, and will keep coming here probably until the cows come home. I now live in Newport Beach, and I still stay here when my parents come to town because it feels that comfortable on the property and the suite size can accommodate a crowd. My mom has gotten her room preferences down to a science, she puts in a request for two specific units, and they are usually available... pretty good service for such an expansive property. For on-site amenities, we love and take full advantage of the en-suite laundry, both gyms and pools, and the tennis courts. It really is a stunning property, with great views, and I can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: the closer to the new pool the better, less noise outside and more expansive views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Modesto, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I just returned after a week here. We have been here numerous times and at all times of the year. We always enjoy our stays. Several reviews have stated that the staff is unfriendly and unhelpful. We have NEVER experienced that. I always take walks throughout the resort and whenever I pass a staff member, I am greeted in return with at least a smile and more than likely a verbal greeting. However, I didn't find that to always be a fact when passing other clientale. I found it interesting that many of the other visitors looked away when greeted or just nodded with a "grunt". That makes me wonder if the persons who complain about the staff may need to look at their attitudes also. Just saying!! :-)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have stayed at various Marriott properties over the years, mostly through my parent's timeshare with Marriott. The quality of Marriott properites definitely varies by location. But we have been very pleased each time we stayed at the Marriott Newport Coast Viilas. Positives: large rooms, fantastic location near the ocean, full working kitchen and washer & dryer, good gym, various pools, helpful staff, close to Disneyland (about 30 min drive), lots of activites each day for kids and adults, family friendly. Negative: average / slightly dated furniture. But I should add that this is a very slight negative and did not imapct in any way our enjoyment of the property. Overall I would definitely recommend staying here if visiting the Newport Coast area.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Our family stays here on many vacations, as my sister lives nearby. It is located just minutes from the beach and is a wonderful spot for vacationing. The furniture in the rooms is a bit dated, but the rooms are clean. The grounds are lovely and very well maintained. There are many activites for adults and families. The beds are okay, but the pillows are far too flat. Perhaps because it is a Marriott property, there was a bit of an issue extending one of our rooms for a night- we were quoted three different prices for the same night. Overall, this is a great place for our family to gather and perhaps there will be an update of the rooms soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!