“Beautiful property, wasn't thrilled with room” 4 of 5 stars

Rewards Members Save 20%
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Jersey
“Beautiful property, wasn't thrilled with room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I just recently came back from a 5 night stay at the Marriott Newport Coast Villas. The property is absolutely stunning. From the landscaping to the view if you had one. The employees at the La Vista pool were wonderful, and I enjoyed the DJ. I do have a few complaints. I saw a post that the only way you get a upper floor is if you are a Marriott time share owner or are in the destination points program. Well, I am in the destination points program, and I not only was offered a first floor room with a view of trees and shrubs( even though I specified high floor,) but when I complained, I got a second floor room that had to be exterminated twice for ants. In addition, my room was by the Pelican golf course, and at 6:30 AM they start mowing the lawn and transporting sand back and forth with a truck. The reaction from the front desk was "well no one else is complaining about it."I also found the staff not very friendly, and the shuttle driver, you were lucky to get a grunt out of him. I loved the Newport Area and the beaches and shopping were amazing, but it grinds my gears when I read a post from someone who isn't even an owner and they were able to get top floor ocean front.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Moab
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

We purchased a week at Newport when Marriott was selling weeks. This year after our stay we called for our year in advance booking for next year only to be told that they we're fully booked? I explained that we were owner but was simply told to just keep trying to call in and see if something came up and also if we wanted a room the best thing for use would be to buy more points. Are you kidding me we have already spent a small fortune on the purchase and that don't even include the crazy property taxs that are out of hand. We bought because this was we're we wanted to have our vacation and was why we were willing to pay the crazy prices. then through a little research come to find out that they are holding rooms for the nightly guest that don't own so they can run them through there sales scam. Marriott forgot who has keep them in business the people who committed to ownership! Trust me you are so much better of to just rent a room for the night and save a bundle of money and the great part is that you will get a room all you have to do is take two hrs of your time to listen to the scam.
Marriotts new point system allows them to sell as many points as they would like. The problem is you will spend Thirty thousand up front and property taxs that you have no control of and not even get in because they have over sold points. When you use your week you can't check in until Four pm and talk about crazy be prepared to stand around and them on your last day you have to be out by Ten am so you don't really get a week stay I would call it a messed up Six day. The resort has no restaurants only a Pizza hut that never has anything after 9 pm because they are sold out. The resort is great and in a great location perfect to see all of the attractions in Ca, this is why we bought the week. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

As others have said, the resort is beautiful, very close (but not within walking distance) to the Crystal Cove state park and beach area.

Our room was spotless and recently remodeled. The appliances were high end, and furniture was in very good shape. Housekeeping was fine.

This resort is HUGE, and really I dislike having to drive everywhere. I think it would be more fun to be able to walk to the beach or to shops.

We used the smaller pool near our room (in building 2700) rather than the main large pool near the center of the resort. We were always able to get chairs at the quieter pool. When we visited the large pool, most of the chairs were taken. The downside is all the activities for kids are centered around the main pool, and if you are put on the edge of the resort, that's a long, long walk.

Because of the hills, the resort has lots of stairs between different buildings. If our kids were young, that would have been an irritation.

I'm glad I stayed here once. I'm not sure if I'd want to stay here again simply because of the size of the resort and the distance of all the sites in the Newport/Laguna area.

Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Firstly let me say how lovely the accommodation was and very clean also. However, as other reviewers had said there is no chance of a very early check in. We had requested a high floor room which I stressed again when trying to check in at 3 pm. At 350pm they told us our room was ready and guess what it was on the ground floor. They said there was nothing else available so off we went at least thinking it would be easy with the luggage ( 6 cases - 3 week holiday for 4 people). Wrong! We were on the ground floor down a long flight of steps which gave it a subterrainian feel and made the room very dark. Anyway we were only there for two days and planned to spend most of the time out. The main irritation ( and why I always request top floor ) was the ridiculous noise from above. The kids seemed to run around for hours and at one point there seemed to be bouncing a ball on the ceiling. After two hours of this we went up to the front desk and asked what they would do about this particularly the next night when we would be facing a mammoth 18 hour journey home. They said if it continued they would send someone down and to let them know. Thankfully they seemed to go to bed by about 11 so it stopped until 8 a.m. The next day was much the same so I would definitely not stay here again as the nose from above was very intrusive and as I was told that top floor was only a request and was not guaranteed and I have a strong suspicion that the people who get the top floors as the people who have bought into the time share. Let's be honest you would be very annoyed to make an investment with such poor soundproofing from above. The pools were nice and the room we were in ( 1013 ) had the advantage of being close to a quiet pool but far enough along to not have people directly outside. If we return we will not stay here unless they could guarantee a top floor and to be honest I would rather stay in Newport Beach or on Balboa Island which was beautiful. If you go rent a speed boat for a couple of hours- we had great fun and reserved and rented our from Marina Boat Rentals who were great.

Room Tip: Top floor if you can get it. If you have kids who run around do the other guests a favour and stay o...
Coachella, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This is an amazing property! The location, amenities, the grounds, the service, kids programs and the size of the villas are just amazing.

We stayed here for several nights. The villas are huge! They are clean and the kitchen is fully stocked with everything that you will need to cook a meal. The location and the grounds are well maintained. There is shuttle service to Laguna Beach or Crystal Cove.

I will definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
provo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We had some problems with the rooms and checking in, but the management was great. The area is beautiful and the tide pools at the beach were amazing. The rooms were large and very clean. We enjoyed eating breakfast out on the patio overlooking the canyon. The pools and workout facilities were very nice. We spent five days at a disneyland area hotel before our three days here. We wish we would have stayed here the whole time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Newton, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This timeshare development built in 2009 consists of 700 units in 31 buildings, so the scale and cost may be over the top for many. It can't be called a hotel or condo, it's a resort village & may have it's own zip code. The size of the property takes some getting used to, but it's right next to Crystal Cove State Park and the ocean. Getting around is a good excuse to get some excercise, but drive around the area to get a sense of how far things are. The Beachcomber restaurant is part of Crystal Cove and is right on the ocean, but it's too far to walk. Most drive to a parking lot across the street for beach and restaurant access,

How much you enjoy the property depends on when you go and where the room is located among other things. If you go slightly off-season and put in requests for room preferences, it can help. You have to drive wherever you're going, so it's more suburban than urban, but the Italian villa on the hillside concept is very attractive.

I'll probably seek out something a little more affordable with shops & restaurants withing walking distance next time I'm in the area, but this is worth doing.

Room Tip: There are five floors, so the higher up you are, the better view of the ocean and the complex. Put...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!