“Newport Coast in the Fall” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rewards Members Save 25%
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Redlands, California, USA
“Newport Coast in the Fall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We live an hour away from the Newport Coast Villas, and we originally bought a week at the timeshare in order to escape the scorching inland summer heat. However, last year due to scheduling conflicts we ended up booking our week over Thanksgiving vacation. As mentioned by the other reviewers, the units themselves are spacious and wonderful, while the grounds are lovely. I was especially happy when the management switched out to flat screen TVs a couple of years ago. The higher the floor you can secure the better your view of the ocean; plus due to some construction flaw, if you are on a lower floor you can always hear the people walking around above you (but surprisingly, I can't say that I've ever heard any noise from the units on the same floor next to ours). There are many activities at the resort and in the surrounding areas. There's a bar at the main pool, and it's nice to go have drinks and watch the sunset. Since the other reviewers have discussed many of these aspects, I'm just going to mention a couple of things that may have been overlooked.

Newport Coast in the Fall
If you don't live in Southern California, you might not realize that it's beautiful along the coast in the fall. In the early summer we get what is called "June Gloom", a misty on-shore flow that keeps the mornings cool but usually burns off by lunchtime. However, in the fall we get the Santa Ana winds which blow from the desert out to the ocean and keeps the days dry, warm and sparkling. Of course, everyone in So-Cal wants to go to the beach in the summer (myself included!), but vacationing in the fall has its advantages: clear days, less crowds (especially if you are going to Disneyland), and--if you come around Thanksgiving--holiday decorations. Be advised that our formal "rainy season" can begin as early as mid-October and we occasionally get rain then, but for the most part the fall has lovely weather. Tip: no matter what time of year you come, bring a light jacket or sweater. It can always be cool by the ocean in the evenings.

Building Location
I personally like to request one of the new buildings at the top of the property. I forget the numbers, but they are the ones closest to the tennis courts, the new pool, and the small workout room. From our unit at the top of the building, we had a panoramic view of Pacific Coast Highway, the cliffs of Crystal Cove, and the Pacific Ocean. The disadvantages to these buildings is that they are far from the main pool with its bar and grill, the teen center, and the Marketplace located in the resort lobby which sells Starbucks coffee and Pizza Hut pizza. However, I believe that there is a shuttle which runs throughout the resort and down to the Crystal Cove drop off point if you don't feel like trekking up and down the hills. Also, the workout room by the tennis courts is tiny, so we often just walked down the the main workout room next to the main pool. Tip: if you like to walk, bring your tennis shoes for a power walk along the Crystal Cove cliffs. It's free with stunning views.

Room Layout
In every unit I have stayed in at the Newport Villas, the second bedroom has faced the walkway corridor and the master bedroom and living room have faced south-east towards the ocean. Sometimes, you will hear the housekeeping carts in the mornings if you are sleeping in the second bedroom. Also, be sure to draw the blackout blinds in the master bedroom because, unless it's overcast, you will get morning sun. Tip: if you are a light sleeper, you should probably bring earplugs and a sleeping mask.

Mid-week Tidy Clean
Some Marriott Vacation Clubs will give you a mid-week tidy clean for free (e.g., the Marriott's Frenchman's Cove in St. Thomas), but at the Newport Coast Villas, timeshare owners must pay a fee (perhaps this fee is waived if you are doing an exchange). Because I wanted to clean up the unit before my relatives arrived for Thanksgiving dinner, I scheduled a tidy-clean. Basically, the housekeepers came and made the beds, removed the trash, brought new towels, and tidied up. Except for providing new towels, that's exactly what my family and I do every day on vacation. I really didn't think it was worth the extra fee. However, when later in the week we needed more bath towels, dish soap and paper towels, I called down to housekeeping and the items were sent up within an hour. They even called later to make sure I had received the items in a timely manner. I was pleasantly surprised by such great customer service. Tip: if you are not a timeshare owner and are renting on a nightly basis, double check to make sure your rate includes daily housekeeping.

Grills
Eating out in Newport can get expensive, but like all Marriott timeshare properties the resort provides grills conveniently located between the buildings. My daughter doesn't like Thanksgiving turkey, so my husband was able to pop downstairs at the last minute to grill Korean bbq while the turkey finished baking in our unit. Tip: if you can find someone just finishing up on one of the grills, you can quickly clean it off and then you won't have to wait long until it warms up again.

The Newport Coast Villas is a beautiful property. Even though we only live an hour away, it's a completely different world down in the OC with its mild, temperate weather and elegant lifestyle. The Marriott resort provides spacious villas with washer/dryers and a kitchen which is perfect for families or friends traveling together. If you can avoid rush hour traffic in the So-Cal basin, most of the famous attractions are not that far away. LAX is probably only 45-60 minutes away while Santa Ana/John Wayne Airport is only a 15 minute drive time (again, these times are without traffic). And while Southern California is famous for its summers, it's really a lovely place to visit in the fall.

Room Tip: Units in the new buildings at the top of the property have panoramic views of Pacific Coast Highway...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Lodi, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed here for a week. The unit was very nice, well equipmed and spacious. The only restaurant was the pool area and the menue was very limited.
I liked the suttle service to the shopping mall and the beach. They give you a time schedule for the shuttle but if you call and make arrangements ahead of time you can use the shuttle to fit within your schedule.

If you want a great view of the ocean and a good milk shake and burger go to Chrystal Gove Rubys Shake. Its right off the highway and the sunsets are awesome.

A fun trip is Balboa island. Some nice shops and fun places to eat.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Burke, Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

We stayed at the Marriott Newport Coast Villas on an exchange thru Marriott. On the whole, we were very pleased. The resort is built on a hillside, and many, if not all, units have at least some view of the ocean. It’s a Marriott, so the property is beautiful and the units are very nice. It’s just off the Pacific Coast Hwy. with all of its coastal towns full of shops and excellent, albeit expensive restaurants. I thought at first that our 2BR unit was was a bit small by Marriott standards, but my wife pointed out that out that it was just oddly shaped. I don’t know it they’re all like that or not. The furnishings and appointments were all fairly new, very clean, and tasteful. We had no problem with the check-in. There was a teen center and poolside activities. There was a welcome meeting on Monday morning that we didn’t get to a major snafu on the staff’s part, but it’s too tedious (and boring) to go into here. I will say that I was disappointed in the resort’s accommodation for the handicapped. While I’m sure that they meet the letter of the Americans with Disabilities Act, I don’t think that they met its spirit.

Kitchen: Well-appointed with dishes, pots, coffee maker, tea kettle, toaster, cleaning supplies, full-size fridge, stove/oven, microwave, lots of cabinets, and washer and dryer. Included dish soap, dishwasher soap, laundry detergent, paper towels, and other cleaning supplies. Included “starter packs” of coffee, but not tea (which I drink). Dining room: Round, glass-topped table with 6 chairs. Living room: Sleep sofa, 2 upholstered chairs, 30+” TV, and DVD. Sliding glass door to balcony. Master BR: King-sized bed, closet, an upholstered chair, a TV (about 30”), jacuzzi tub, and vanity with double sink in the bedroom. It had a separate, small-ish bath room with toilet and shower. Sliding glass door to patio. Also, had a safe in the closet, but it was a joke. It was small and vertical and had a lock that wouldn’t have stopped any of my granddaughters! Second BR: A bit small, but it had a queen-size bed, TV, closet. Its bathroom had 2 doors, so it was accessible from the bedroom and the main apartment itself. Linens: Kitchen, bathrooms, and BR's had sufficient linens, with extra blankets and pillows. Pool towels were available at the pool. Maid service: None, but I’m sure that if we needed anything, we just needed to call. Other: In-unit brochure provided basic info about the resort and what to do in the area. Both bathrooms included 2 small bars of soap, shampoo, and conditioner. Free wi-fi in the room! Outside: Well landscaped and maintained. Parking was readily available in a garage across the street, but the resort is so big, that there must have been other places to park. We didn’t have a need to look. 2 large, heated pools. Hot tub. Gas grills scattered throughout the resort. Things to do: About an hour from San Diego and LAX. We went to Catalina Island for a day and also to the Nixon Presidential Library (which wasn’t as bad as I feared!).

All things considered, we'd highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Very large resort. Can be difficult to get around, so ask for room with that in mind.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Terrible! The dry sauna was not working for five days. We asked the staff about it, to which they replied that they were working on it and were not sure when it would be fixed. There was no way to find out until what time the steam room was open. We were in the steam room when the cleaning man came. He was very rude and asked why we were still there because apparently, it had closed at nine. There were no signs that said that it closes at nine. It was all dependent on what time the cleaners came. There is no more desire to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Sandy, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I stayed here with my son and husband. He had to work all day so my son and I made the best of the surroundings. There were lots of stuff for kids to do, there is a teen hangout called the Shack, , there are video games etc, there are ping pong tables, a huge chest/checker set for kids and adults to play with. The pools are very warm when its a bit chilly outside. There is a grill/bar next to the pool, very convenient. There was a band playing next to the pool as well...they were good.. I think they were called the Trish and Cissy show. Towels were plentiful and easily accessible.Playground for kids, sandbox, basket ball courts, tennis courts... lots of stuff to do.

There are shuttles that take you /pick you up(free) to Fashion Island, laguna beach, Crystal Cove at pre determined times. I missed the shuttle by 30 seconds ( they run on time) and they came right back for me after I called. They were very pleasant and helpful. Service was great.

We stayed in the building opp the registration area, so this was very convenient to access the pools.

Excellent place to stay!

Room Tip: close to the pool if you have kids
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012 via mobile

Wow, I mean this place looks just as it does in its website pictures. Simply beautiful setting and great amenities. My husband and I stayed here with my sister & my niece who stayed in the second bedroom and my mom who slept on the sofa sleeper. It was just perfect. We did make use of the pool and marketplace. Other great amenities were the huge workout area and arcade room. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. We had requested a room in a quieter section and definitely got that. The view was great and the room was spacious. The only complaint was that we were on the second floor and could hear the people above us walking around. Other than that, this place was awesome. It was also only 30 minutes from Disneyland and the huge soaking tub in the master bedroom was great after a long day at the park. The washer/dryer and kitchen were convenient and the 2br/2ba floorplan suited our needs perfectly. We would definitely stay again...in fact, we plan on it! (Another great thing was we were taking a late flight home the day we checked out & the staff gladly held our luggage until we were on our way to the airport so we wouldn't have to leave it in our rental all day while we were out and about. Really great service here!)

• Stayed March 2012
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Stayed four nights in March at the Marriott Vacation Club. AAA rate at the last minute. Very nice and clean 2 bedroom and 2 full baths villa with large balcony and view of Pacific Ocean. Great activities for all ages. Many children but the villa was very sound proof. We stayed on the first of 4 floors. Plenty of parking. Full kitchen with full size oven and frig. Dishwasher. Great price for the area. Close to everything. We do not have the time share and we were not in any way bugged to go to the 90 min. sales talk. However, if both my husband and I went to the 90 mins. we were offered at $275.00 Amer. Exp. card. Daily maid service. What more can I say - I was very surprised at how nice the villa was. Only thing that stood out was the landscaping was awful. Trash in the bushes. Dead plants. Hey, this is So. Cal and we have blooms of some kind year around. Great for families. 2 bedroom villa could easily sleep 6 adults. 3 large screen t.v.s.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. Not extra $
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!