“Stick With In-n-Out” 3 of 5 stars

Tehachapi, California
38,154 helpful votes 38,154 helpful votes
“Stick With In-n-Out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Five guys is a poor attempt at being In-n-Out. Sadly for twice the price and only half the quality the choice is clear, stick with the original and the best In-n-Out. I got the bacon cheeseburger. It was over cooked so I don't know what the meat would have tasted like if it was cooked properly. The burger alone was $7.69. The fries were pretty good but nothing special there either. I just wasn't impressed. I will continue go to In-n-Out. Sorry Five Guys.

Visited January 2014

Irvine, CA
“Buns are super.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

There are so many burger places - each one usually has one great redeeming factor as no one can top In and Out. Five Guys has the best buns in town. Burger is fine. Nothing great. Fries are nice - but the bun is 1st class.

Visited March 2012
Costa Mesa, California
“Typical Burger Joint”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Good burgers. I love the options for toppings. still would prefer In N Out though.

Newport Beach, CA
“If you are going to invade a rival's territory....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

....ya' better bring your 'A' game.

I recently dropped into a Five Guys Burgers and Fries location in Newport Beach to try them for the first time.

First of all, I'm not a big fan of In-n-Out Burger but they have, to some degree, gained a cult following in Southern California. As such, to me, a company invading their territory will need to present a superior product at, preferably, a similar or even better price point.

I had read some reviews about Five Guys and was lead to believe that their burgers were somewhat greasy. I was at the Atrium Food Court at Fashion Island and Five Guys occupies the spot formerly held by Fat Burger.

I opted for a cheeseburger (two patties with melted cheese in between, 840 calories according to their board plus 100 calories for the mayo)----$5.99. I wanted to taste the beef so I ordered the burger 'rare' with just a little mayo (they make a point that mayo is free---such a deal!). When the counter person read the order back to me he left out the 'rare' part. I reminded him of that and he, once again, ignored it. I also ordered a small fries (listed as 310 calories)----$2.99. Total bill, with tax: $9.68 (I didn't order a drink).

I timed how long it took from submiting the order until it was ready: just over 11 minutes. Not real good for fast food IMO considering that there were a lot of burgers already sitting on the flattop and fries already prepared. As I stood there waiting I watched the staff. Generally speaking, they seemed bored and disintrested. I tried to spot a manager on the floor but I couldn't so maybe the manager was in the back working on something else.

The burger and fries were delivered in a plain brown paper bag and I sat down at a table and opened it up. Though I had ordered a small fries (which came in a paper cup) I will say that they delivered a larger quantity than I expected---the cup was full but there were also a lot of fries litered all over the bottom of the bag as well. Unfortunately, the fries were mushy on the outside and mushy on the inside---they lacked any flavor what so ever.

As for the burger, it wasn't rare. It was overdone and it wasn't greasy because it had been so over cooked that it had the texture of woodchips. I ate about half of it and tossed the rest in the trash. $10.00 for that!?! No thanks!

I'm aware that his is a new store and any restaurant can have a bad day once in awhile. I'll wait a bit and go back and see how they do the second time around. Hopefully it will be better.

That was my personal experience on that particular day.

• Visited October 2011