Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
San Diego, California
“Atrocious”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

One word: atrocious. One star is too many. See the link below to support the story below:

My wife and I were subjected to a damp smelling room for over a month, and found out towards the end of the stay it was from a water leak. Look closely at the walls in the link above, and you can see the mold in them. When we brought this to the attention to the staff, they were obviously dumbfounded. I asked for compensation because of the mold and smell, but they refused any compensation beyond a couple of days. Terrible customer service when they expect to be paid in full for a terrible and unhealthy room situation. My company will not house people there in the future, and we hope you heed our warning.

Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel is okay. There was mold in the shower stall. Please note there is NO bathtub. The towels were in poor condition, except one. I found someone else's hair on one of the towels. Gross. We were informed at check-in that the $25 discount we had would not be applied until after the stay was complete. The full amount for our stay was charged on Friday when we arrived. The $25 credit wasn't processed until the following Wednesday. That's misleading advertising. I had read the reviews stating no utensils/cups were in the room but it's still annoying/shocking. Staybridge Suites and Residence Inns provide those in the room so you don't have to go to the front desk. I felt like this hotel doesn't trust its guests with anything. Tiffany was nice at check in. However, half of the time we went to the front desk, no one was present, simply a sign saying someone was away and would be back. This even happened at 12:15pm. The grab and go breakfast was out of apples by 8:30am the first morning. Ran out of coffee the second morning. Hallways had bad odors including smoke. Someone needed to clean the messes in the hallways...same things present over 24 hours.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport, responded to this review, 1 week ago
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that we did not properly communicate our promotional offers to you and also that you had poor linen in your room. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, we are retraining our laundry staff and also implementing a much stricter inspection program. I understand the frustration regarding the dishes in the room; however, we have taken the steps to remove the dishes to assure our guests that they are clean and sanitized. I also regret to read that our grab-and-go breakfast ran out of items and was not re-stocked. I will be working with my staff to ensure that we are re-stocking our breakfast items as needed during the appropriate hours. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at laa@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Mesa, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I read some pretty awful reviews so I was not expecting much, but I was surprised. It was nice, clean, and I didn't smell the smoke like others discussed. Tiffany at the front desk did a great job! Thanks for a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 3rd floor and had a good experience.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. It's great to hear that you found our hotel clean and comfortable. I was also pleased to see that Tiffany provided your great service during your stay. Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.
Newport Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I arrived at the hotel at around 9pm exhausted from the time change and string of events that I left in LA. They were at maximum capacity so they had to put me in a smoking room. I prefer non-smoking, but under the circumstances, one night was no big deal. I enter the room and it smells horrible. On top of that I had strong urge to use the restroom only to find that there was dried poo on the toilet and dried blood on the door. I had two choices: run to the elevator and hope that I make to the public bathroom in the lobby or humble myself and clean a strangers poo from the toilet so that I wouldn't suffer the embarrassment that could possibly come with not making it out of the elevator. I cleaned the toilet and then blessed it. The morning comes and at 6am I go downstairs to inform someone that I couldn't sleep with the smell of cigarette smoke and pig feet and requested the earliest available room change. Housekeeping was the only staff available so I informed them of the condition of the room. She told me to wait until the staff arrived at 7am and they would take care of me. I waited until 8. The lady at the front desk promised that me that she would change out my room to a non-smoking suite. I left for a couple of shows and returned to the hotel at 8pm. They did not change my room and again there were no available rooms so I'm stuck in the same room. They made my bed, but did not remove the trash that was under it. They did not clean the blood off of the door or the mildew off the robe hanger. The chair in the corner still has the same soda stains on it as when I checked in the night before. This is not the first time something like this has happened at an extended stay so my company will no longer be using Extended Stay America even if it is the lowest rate. A few extra bucks a night is definitely worth a good nights sleep. If the three ladies that I spoke to were at the very least hospitable then I would not have minded one bad room experience.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. The situation you described regarding the cleanliness issues with your toilet, bed, robe hanger, and chair is unacceptable. We are very sorry for your experience. I met with the staff, and we will be implementing a much stricter inspection program along with additional training to ensure that future guests will not have a similar experience. Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. I invite you to contact me, at laa@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.
Irvine, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2014

If your looking for a place just to sleep then this is the place for you. The room is equipped with a kitchenette stove, refrigerator, microwave if you need any of the utensils to cook with or even a cup you need to ask for it at the front desk. Which is pretty annoying. Wi-Fi is included fore free, vending machines are available on the first floor along with a small laundry area with washers and dryers. Maid service is not included.
In the mornings they offer a grab and go breakfast which is granola bars, muffins, fruit, or hot cereal, along with coffee, or hot tea
The only place within walking distance to this hotel is a Carl's Jr, which is right next door.
I noticed different types of customers that stay at this place. This place looks like it is always full.
Went outside early in the morning and there were three people sitting outside on the curb drinking beer.
Very close to John Wayne Airport the hotel does not offer any type of shuttle service

Room Tip: If your not a smoker stay clear of the 4th floor.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Well, lets see... Been here for 4 weeks now, You get breakfast to start with. Room Service are Thursdays only. The front desk guy Russell and his colleague Marisela are pretty nice to ask for any help (whenever required)

Very near to John Wayne Airport, Newport beach is not far from here... Just 4-5 miles and they also have U-Haul (Car Rental within the Hotel)

Overall it was a nice stay and I loved the people.

Suggestions? Dinner could be added but they unfortunately don't have a kitchen hence no dinner.

Room Tip: Well the only view you get is street view so, Look for the one towards the corner of the hotel that...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We apologize that we are not able to serve dinner; however, we are pleased to know that we were able to create a "home away from home" for you. We are glad that you had such a comfortable stay and that our staff took great care of you.

Prescott Valley, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

When we arrived, it was late and the outer doors were locked. The person on duty saw my husband at the door and turned off the light and walked away. Once he figured out he had to use a phone to get let in, we checked in and when we got to our room we were IMMEDIATELY turned off by the strong odor of cigarette smoke. We tried to find out why we were put in a smoking room and asked to move and they refused to help us. We slept on it. In the morning we requested to speak with a manager about moving rooms and the woman working said that there is nothing that they could do for us and told my husband "Our priority is guests checking in, there is nothing we can do." I'm disgusted by the lack of compassion that this staff portrayed. Not even the manager was sympathetic and refused to do anything to make the situation a little lighter. The worst part is my husband is an ex-smoker and my son is allergic to cigarette smoke and got a bloody nose the first night. I will NEVER recommend this place to anyone and definitely will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Jessica - Thank you for providing us with the details of your stay. The situation you described regarding the service you received and the odor in your room is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. We discussed your comments with our team. We will be retraining each of our staff members to assure that we are showing compassion to our guests and doing everything we can to provide our guests with a pleasant experience.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. We would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact us directly, at laa@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Been to Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport? Share your experiences!