“I love Extended America, but was dissappointed in this one....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4881 Birch Street, Newport Beach, CA 92660   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #15 of 17 hotels in Newport Beach
San Jose, California
“I love Extended America, but was dissappointed in this one....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My sister and I were in town for the weekend for my little brother's graduation at UC Irvine. We wanted to find a descent hotel (one that was not too expensive but not too cheap) we wanted to spurge more on shopping & food since we are not in southern California that often. We had booked the Vegabond hotel for one night and I was NOT impressed, so that day I decided to go with Extended America since I had a really GOOD experience with the one located in Fresno, CA. The Extended America was all booked in Irvine, so I went with the next nearest one which was this one located in Newport Beach.

I booked a two queen size beds and loved the look of the room just as I did with the one in Fresno, CA. The place was clean & tidy! My sister was getting ready to take a shower before heading out for dinner with the rest of the family....as my sister was turning on the shower, the biggest noise I've ever heard rumbled the hotel room, I thought the pipes were about to burst. I intermediately walked down to the front desk and as I was walking I guess my sister kept on turning on the shower to see if the noise had stop because I could hear the noise loudly down the hallway. When I got down to the front desk and told the guy upfront about the loud noise, he told us that they had, had that problem for awhile but that it was safe to take a shower. I walked back to my room and told my sister what the guy had told me. We felt really uncomfortable about taking a shower with all the noise, so I called the front desk and asked to be moved to another room. I was told all rooms were booked. So my sister and I decided that we were going to head over to the hotel my brothers were staying at to take a shower.

I was NOT very happy about paying for a hotel room and not being able to take a shower! I went and asked for a discount on the hotel stay, since we weren't able to use the shower, which the front desk guy agreed to do.

Overall, my stay here was good, but the no shower put a damper in my experience there. The beds were comfy, internet was at full speed, the air conditioner was awesome, and I enjoyed watching the TV as they had some great channels. The guy upfront was nice and did not argue with my complaint. However, I wouldn't stay at this hotel again until they figure out & fix the huge noise coming out of the shower when you turn it on.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Please accept our apologies the shower did not function properly; we are in the process of rectifying this issue in the hotel. Still, we are pleased to know that we were able to provide an overall satisfying stay with us. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

So.... It looks good on the outside, but it's a dump on the inside! Our air conditioner stopped working , and we called the front desk, " Maurice" was going to try to fix it, but he never came! And the unit kept clicking on and off all night! It was soo noisy ! Nothing is close to this hotel. No restraunts or bars. It's not worth the money!!! The sheets and towels are stained , and the bed is hard as a rock! We stayed labor day weekend... Not worth it!!

• Stayed August 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. The situation you described regarding the air conditioner is truly regrettable and we apologize for your experience. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I will be sharing your comments with our staff along with additional training in all departments to assure future guests do not relive your experience. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at laa@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.
Brussels
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This hotel advertises everywhere "free Internet" -- and it has signs on the door and in the rooms. But when you actually get here it turns out they throttle the Internet. I did a speed test and it was .30 and .38 megabits coming down -- very, very slow. And there's no choice of plugging into wired Internet.

They demand that you pay a surcharge to upgrade to an average acceptable speed -- and they have several tiers. So if you need decent Internet then the rate is misleading because the Internet is so slow it won't even play videos or download a newspaper without freezing.

Furthermore, the signal was weak and I ultimately had to use my phone as a hotspot. When I called the desk they said, "I'm sorry, sir, there's nothing we can do."

In addition, there is no shampoo, no pen, nothing to write on.

It does have a two burner stove, a fridge, and a sink -- that's of course what they advertise (and I didn't need it for my stay)

Sorry I didn't pay 10 bucks more and stay elsewhere. I consider the Internet a necessity. This is misleading advertising and a bait and switch. i won't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am sorry to hear that our free WiFi internet speed did not meet your expectations during your stay. In response to your feedback, I am sharing your comments with our internet provider so that we can resolve this issue. As well, we do offer the upgraded WiFi service for a minimal fee which offers a faster speed that may have better met your needs.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at laa@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.
Bellevue, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Looked good at first, then saw the crusty food left on the side of the mattress, then the extremely corroded bathroom faucet, the the shower rod that almost fell off the wall, then the holes in the blAnkets on the bed, then the damp/dirty feeling carpet. I've stayed in EconoLodges that were Four Seasons compared to this place. Won't stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. The cleanliness issues you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. Rest assured that we will share your comments with our staff and In response to your feedback, we are implementing a much stricter inspection program along with training in all departments to assure that future guests do not relive your experience. I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at laa@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.
Granada Hills, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend conference. For the price it was a good deal. I know how these kinds of places work--limited housekeeping (which I really don't need for a weekend), no fancy services, no pool, etc, so I wasn't disappointed in that respect. The room was clean and mostly quiet except for the yappy dog staying across the hall. I had no problems with the wifi (it was a little slow but you can pay to upgrade to a faster speed). The TV doesn't have a lot of channels.

The hallway had a certain smell to it, one I couldn't really identify. It could have been smoke or maybe the smell from cooking. Eventually someone opened the window at the end of the hallway and the smell disappeared.

Don't get too excited about the breakfast--it's just granola bars, pre-packaged muffins, and instant oatmeal. You can grab some oatmeal and cook it in the microwave in your room. There's a Carl's Jr next door and other restaurants within a quick drive. I was only there for a couple of days so I didn't do any cooking so I can't comment about the kitchen.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you were happy with our overall accommodations. We appreciate you letting us know about the smells in the hallway. We are sorry for this issue, and will monitor the situation to make sure it is not a recurring problem. Thank you again for your review. It would be our pleasure to host you again in the future!
Edmond, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We booked this hotel for an extended stay in Southern California while visiting friends and family. This seemed to suit our needs since it allowed us to reduce the amount of times we dined out. In reality, there are some minor issues that are hidden behind the shiny exterior.

Locating the hotel was fairly simple. With easy access to CA-73, we could get on any major freeway relatively quickly. The rooms are roomy, but not necessarily completely clean. Upon checkin, we discovered some sort of liquid spill near the beds that had not been detected. Overall condition was good, with the exception of bedspreads, which seemed a bit worn. The kitchen was serviceable, with a full refrigerator, two (slow) electric burners, and a small sink. Beware if you have more than two people to feed, since there is only two sets of dinnerware available. Small meals are the best you can expect to cook due to the amount of space available in the kitchen and lack of room to prepare complicated feasts. Wifi was free, but was unreliable on some devices and extremely slow on all devices. Do not expect speeds faster than 1mbps. Front desk was mostly responsive, but occasionally needed multiple requests to get an issue resolved. Uncommon to most extended stays, there was a free grab-n-go breakfast, which included muffins, granola bars, whole fruit, coffee, hot water, and instant oatmeal. While helpful, don't expect to feast on its offerings, as it works better for a quick snack than a full breakfast.

Overall, this hotel was a good value for what we needed, but we were disappointed in the condition of some parts of the room and the service from the front desk.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - John Wayne Airport, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit to our hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies that your room was unclean and that my staff did not handle your issues with the sense of urgency they deserved. I appreciate you bringing these matters to my attention. To improve our overall condition and guest experience, I have shared your comments with our staff and have implemented a much stricter program along with additional training in all departments to ensure that future guest do not relive your experience. I was happy to read, however, that you were pleased with your overall stay and these issues did not ruin your family vacation.

Once again, thank you for bringing these matters to my attention. If I can be of any other service please do not hesitate to contact me.
Westminster, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've learned that when you book a Priceline Express Deal you're given rooms that aren't necessarily the best. Upon arrival we were told that only Smoking Rooms were left and that they were sold out for the night. We weren't even given the option of upgrading or being notified if anything opened up.

The first thing we noticed was the sticky floors! We've stayed at other Extended Stays so we knew about the laminate floors and have experienced some stickiness at other locations, but this was beyond reasonable. Good thing we always travel with "shower slippers".

Next, the room was obviously a Smoking Room so the smoke smell was pretty strong. Luckily we were able to open the windows and crank the a/c to air it out. This didn't do much though, but it was better than nothing.

The bedsheets had cigarette burns and the blankets had stains. Some of the pillows had hair on them. Not wanting to risk it I slept on my arm instead of using the pillow.

We kept telling ourselves we shouldn't have high expectations since we didn't pay the normal rate, but still... why would they even have rooms like this?

The bathtub drain had something stuck it in so it didn't drain that fast. We also couldn't take a bath even if we wanted to because it was impossible to press the lever down to switch the modes. We ended up not using two of the bath towels because there was more hair in them. I remember reading or hearing that we can exchange towels at the front desk, but that was too inconvenient.

The remote for the TV was pretty gross too. There was food stuck on it.

I can go on and on, but I don't see the point. The room was disgusting. Before we checked out we took off all the sheets and pillowcases hoping they would get switched for the next person.

Don't get me wrong. I recommend the Extended Stay America chain, but this location was the worst experience we've had so far.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room