“Comfort food Italian, rarely disppoints” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Huntington Beach, California
“Comfort food Italian, rarely disppoints”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We found ourselves wanting comfort food last Thursday, on a blustery California night. Headed down to Newport and Spaghetti Bender, and weren't disappointed. This place has been there since the 1960's--Lauren remembers dining here as a young boy. Here's what we love about it these days: the atmosphere is cozy, warm, candlelit and red checkered tablecloth authentic. We ALWAYS get the full dinner, and here's why: it includes great garlic bread, unlimited yummy minestrone in a big pot that yields several bowls... and the finest salad imagineable, with plenty to spare family style. The salad dressing is special, and the capers, garbanzos, avocado and tomatoes really shine. We're usually almost full before the main course arrives, and full with healthy veggies. Lauren likes to try the various specials (Rigatoni was great) and Laura loves the half spaghetti/meat ravioli with marinara and mushrooms added. We usually take home two substantial lunch portions. Dinner for two, without wine (which is reasonable when we choose it), under $50 with tip... and really more like 4 or even 5 meals. Service is always good, parking pretty easy. Worth the trip and good value if you are in Orange County, especially near the water.

Westminster, California
“By far my favorite restaurant in Newport Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My wife and I love this place. We go whenever we can. The food is awesome and the atmosphere is fabulous and the people working there are great. Haven't had a dish I haven't liked there. We always get the dinner so that soup and salad are included. My wife loves the soup but I prefer the salad. It has avacados, capers, and pinenuts in it and they make their own dressing there. My favorite dish is Rigatoni Primo while my wife always leans towards the scallops or pasta primavera. As far as lazagna goes, they make one of the best I have ever had. Would definitely recommend this place and I have.

• Visited November 2012
Irvine, California
“good Italian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

been going to this restaurant for years. Home like atmosphere and good food. Love their salad. Would definitely recommend this restaurant. Limited parking lot spaces, but have street parking.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“NiceSpot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and I visited this restaurant recommended by a friend from the area. We did the take out option and within a few min we had fresh hot food ready to take back to our hotel. We loved it! We ordered the spaghetti and meatballs dinner. It came with soup, salad, a huge proton of spaghetti and very tasty meatballs. I must say for under $20.00 and we were both stuffed. It was enough food for the both of us and we had some left overs.

• Visited October 2012
Long Beach, California
“Good Old Fashioned Italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Just like the Old Italian Restaurants that you find back east..warm..friendly..big,yummy food.My husband loves the Minestrone soup here because it is chicken based.You will get endless soup and salad with every meal and so we took home the entree of spaghetti and meatballs.Since I am Italian the meatballs have to be softer and full of flavor.These are pretty darn good. I also highly recommend that you ask for a side of spicy marinara with the garlic bread for dipping..oh this is real good! Shrimp Scampi appetizer was fabu. The bill would have been real inexpensive if we hadn't ordered Ferrari-Carrano by the glass at $9.00. "Life is too short to drink cheap wine"
Our server Ramona was a delight and the owner Joyce actually stopped at our table..very nice!
Spaghetti Bender has been opened since 1969! Give it a try!

• Visited October 2012