“Good food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 401 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner
Los Gatos, California
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We were there Sunday afternoon, so we had to wait a little bit till we got our seats. The waiters brought bread and sausages. I loved what they were doing It showed how much they value their customers. (and they should :P).

inside the restaurant was a little crowded and noisy but it was okay I Loved the menu and the choices of paste, the pink sauce was awesome. It really wasn't the best pasta i tasted but it was close enough. The portions are big and since it's creamy you will feel full so soon. I had to take half of my food home.

I totally recommend this place.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

USA
“Molto Bene”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

This rates among the best in the beach area of Orange County. There is always a wait, so plan on it. While you wait they serve munchies such as bread samples and meat samples. The food is very authentic for Southern Italian (and Sicilian) with lots of red pasta sauce. Some of the specials are especially great.

The service is outstanding!

They have some really good Italian wines from Chianti (including Montalcino) at a reasonable price.

There is parking in the rear and usually within a block on the street. We really lucked out the last time and parked right in front.

• Visited November 2013
Florida
“Spot on delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I grew up in a neighborhood with some of the best down home Italian cooks one can imagine so the bar for good Italian food is set pretty high. It was one of those rare rainy SoCal nights so comfort food was in order. Go Italian, of course! Online reviews mentioned Mama D's as a great place but that it is often packed with long lines so we arrived pretty early, parked right outside the door and were seated right away. All the staff was friendly and the place charming. The foccaccia bread was a greater starter. My veal dish was delicious. Everything was hot and tasty and portion size was filling. Very fair prices for the quality of the food. Getting chocolate chip cookies for a dessert treat was a nice touch. Put this place on your list of places to dine. They can count on us coming back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Irvine, California
“Delicious Experience/Down Home Italian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

It was a chilly day and we had been strolling outside for more than an hour. As dinnertime rolled round we needed something hot and tasty to warm our bones. A friend had recommended Mama D's to us as a touch of where we grew up in Brooklyn and as fresh as from where we lived in Italy. We were skeptical as many restaurants have not turned out to be as homey as advertised. On Newport Av. in Newport sits an unassuming restaurant with its own parking lot. What we found inside was a treasure. This is not an upscale northern Italian ristorante with music and waiters folding your napkins for you- which I also love once in a while- but a bistro with the tastiest southern Italian cooking that you'd swear Mama is actually in the kitchen. The atmosphere is warm and the servers so friendly and helpful. We sat at a table immediately but later on those who had to wait sat in plush leather couches and are served little cups of minestrone and bread etc. while they waited which is a wonderful touch. In fact after we ordered we too were offered the cups of soup and homemade ravioli and other tasty bits to try. The bread on the table was fresh and served with an oil and roasted garlic for dipping. My veal parmegiana was not a scrawny overly breaded and overcooked piece of meat but a very large thick and juicy veal just lightly breaded. The penne pasta had a meat sauce where the meat was almost the size of small meatballs and the sauce was well spiced. My husband tells me his eggplant was done perfectly and just as tasty as my veal. We had walked a lot and ate a lot and there was still enough to take home for another meal. This is not the type of restaurant to have a quiet romantic dinner for two and it is not of the fine five star variety. For that there is Mastro's or Manhattan Steak and Seafood among others. This is for a a wonderful homey fulfilling meal you can enjoy as couple or a family or large group and be well satisfied. The food was as delicious as we were promised and the atmosphere was warm and joyful. It almost felt like a little of Brooklyn and Italy and I'd go back to Mama D's again anytime.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California, United States
“I Love My Mama D.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Oh yes, she is good. Don't say anything bad about my Mama D. So what, you had to wait in line! Did the kids not bring you appetizers as you waited? Yes, it's a rather small--cozy, as in Mama's dining room is a good thing. Don't be in a hurry, you found a parking space and your car will wait for you. Home made pastas, the classics, the pizzas and the seafood are all good. I think that they use true love in the recipes that Mama D. has handed down. We've been here for parties, for family and friends and remain forever charmed.

• Visited June 2013