“Great Italian food” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 401 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner
“Great Italian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I visited Mama D's on a recent business trip to Irvine and i am so glad that I went out of my way to try it. It was a fantastic experience from the food to the service. I ordered the pink sauce with the primavera option and italian sausage. It was one of the best italian meals that I have ever had. My pasta was perfectly cooked (not many restaurants can get this right it seems). The wait staff is very friendly and it is a fun casual atmosphere. I will make my way to Mama D's anytime that I am in the area.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New York City, New York
“Simple and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Ate at Mama D's tonight. Asked tripadvisor for a suggestion whilst staying in Newport Beach for a quick dinner. Mama D's nailed it. Great salads, chicken parm, garlic bread.

And very high quality. Great waitstaff. Fun people watching.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Orange County, CA
“I won't eat Italian anywhere else!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

WOW. wow. WOW.

I actually discovered this place after trying to go to The Old Spaghetti Factory; one of their employees actually recommended Mama D's saying "It is WAY better than this place". The valet is complimentary - which I very much appreciated! And the service was outstanding, our waiter even asked for our names and remembered them throughout the night which I thought was a nice touch. We even got offered to try some free ravioli! I'm slightly obsessed with anything free (as you probably noticed) so I was in heaven already. The food was SUPERB. The bread is paired with garlic and olive oil; which I have never seen offered at any other Italian restaurant...and I loved it - even asked for a second basket ;) We ordered the mozzarella sticks, tortellini with pink sauce, and the lasagna...just out of this world! When the check came, it came with warm chocolate chip cookies...I mean COME ON! Amazing. The only only thing I would change is the noise level - I found myself yelling to communicate sometimes, and this isn't one of those usual 'romantic' Italian spots. I literally came straight home to write this review because I am blown away by how exceptional Mama D's is.

Perfection.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Scarsdale, New York
“this is not a New Yorker's Italian restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Everyone raved about Mama D's. Everyone from California, that is. If you're born and bred in Brooklyn or the Bronx, you know Italian. This ain't it. Staff is super-friendly and helpful, but wait was loooong for a table, esp. with three hungry kids (and a cranky mom). Pasta gooey, sauce uninspired. Go for the garlic bread and the scene.

Visited August 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
“Another great Tripadvisor recommendation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Fantastic service and food with a fun atmosphere. They had something for everyone in the family. the wait was long but they served drinks and free apps while waiting outside.

• Visited August 2013