“Premier Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Staten Island, New York
“Premier Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Spent 7 days here with my family, two adults and 3 children (2 boys 12 & 10 and one daughter age 8 ). We stood in a 2 bedroom villa. The villas are well appointed and decorated beautifully. You have use of a butler to take you to and from the main club house or villa pool. From our villa the pool was only about a 5 minute walk. Room service is offered as is in room cooking if requested. Maid service is done both in the day and turn down in the evening. I would suggest that everyday upon leaving to contact the maid service to request your room to be made up otherwise they might not come to later in the afternoon.

The resort is beautiful and the lay out works well. Check in for villa guests is at a different private entrance and all went well. Prior to arrival I requested an early check in and a room with a view. Unfortunately neither requests were met. Like all resorts this is only a request not a guarantee but our butler worked his magic and got us a room with a wonderful view (500 area works best in my opinion for the villas).

The resort amenities are superb. Two huge pools with private cabana's for rent daily. The Coliseum pool is located in the main resort and can be used by both villa and regular guests. The villa pool and cabana's are used exclusively for villa guests only. Neither pool ever seemed to be crowded and getting space or renting a cabana wasn't a problem either. The gym at the villa club house was also adequate and never too crowded.

We ate breakfast at the restaurant in the villa club house daily. They offer an a la carte menu or breakfast buffet. Lunch by the pools was also adequate and the drinks were very good. Service at the pools were also above expectation.

There are a number of other restaurants located at the main resort which were indeed very good. Andrea is considered an Italian restaurant and is decorated beautifully. Both the service and food were great. The Pelican Grill is located at the Pelican Hill Golf Club and offers a more casual environment with wonderful views. I strongly suggest making reservations a few days in advance for either.

In summary this resort exceeded our expectations in every way. Again you pay for what you get and in this case I didn't mind paying.

Room Tip: Request a room on the second (top) floor if your booking a villa.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Memphis, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The land planner for this property (or the State of California anti-development groups) should be hung for this site plan - way too spread out and necessitates tons of Mercedes SUV's and golf carts that aren't always around when you want them. If you play tennis, be ready to leave the property (they will call you a cab.......). Beach and golf are not easily accessible or close to the rooms.

Also, when you pay a huge rate for the incredibly comfortable rooms, it is absurd to have a coffee maker that wakes up your spouse AND you are asked to pay $10 for a bag of beans.
The golf courses are over the top beautiful but take way too long to play, the entry parking area is like a Costco parking lot, and the overall service was ok but not great.The Bungalow rooms are wonderful and comfortable, and the dining areas and staff were good with beautiful sitting areas, but the monster main building wastes a lot of space.

Spend your well earned dollars elsewhere. It is an incredibly pretty place with massive amount of dollars invested, but poorly executed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent visit to Pelican Hill. I appreciate your view on the Resort’s spacious layout, and I apologize if you had any trouble with our transportation services during your stay.

The design of Pelican Hill, brought to life after decades of detailed planning, is crafted in the style of the Italian Renaissance and intended to be timeless, aesthetically pleasing and a seamless fit within the master planned community of Newport Coast. Recognized for its unprecedented attention to detail with top national and global accolades from Condé Nast Traveler, Andrew Harper’s Hideaway Report and many others since opening in 2008, Pelican Hill has emerged as one of the world’s finest Five-Star Resorts.

I understand if the design concept and style of the Resort does not match your personal preference, and I appreciate you providing your candid feedback.

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

A buddy and I were doing the "Rent a Convertible and Drive up the California Coast" and this place was our first stop. I had a 3-bedroom villa. It was magnificent. The views out over the greens to Catalina were inspiring. Wonderful breakfasts were delivered before golf. From check-in to check-out, I found the staff to be accommodating and polite. This resort is first rate and I would love to stay here again some time.

Room Tip: Some people prefer the rooms around the pool with views over the 18th hole. The villas are in their...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was so disappointed in Pelican Hill. The restaurants, spa and setting were outstanding. The rooms were beautiful and it just appeared to have the makings of a first class resort experience. Unfortunately, guest services were highly unprofessional and often outright rude. Simple requests, like a roll away bed for one evening, or coffee creamer and a clean cup, were met with rude and snarky responses that were emabarassing to us. As well, the poolside service was lacking in the extreme. The servers seemed to be unhappy, and often made guests wait on requests while they openly bickered with one another. On the positive side, they had a wonderful live singer/guitarist at the pool, and he was fantastic. I am going to discuss this with management before leaving, and will update the review after getting a response.

Room Tip: We stayed in a bungalow, very nice room, quiet, with a patio, and we loved havin parking access near...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Really quite a disappointing few days at what used to be a Real favourite. Service with a smile helps but most staff seemed keen but robotic. I felt the owners run the hotel with far too tight a grip and do not allow any flair or self expression. Will stay elsewhere next time. Certainly no longer 5 star deluxe.

Matt,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay. As a return guest, I apologize that you were let down by your recent visit to Pelican Hill, and I’m sorry you felt that our staff was not as warm and welcoming as you experienced in the past.

I can assure you that we are committed to providing gracious, personalized service for each of our guests, focusing on the Resort’s Five-Star service standards. I will be sure to communicate your feedback to our management team, as we are continually looking for ways to improve the overall guest experience.

Once again, I apologize if you were disappointed in your stay, and appreciate you taking a moment to post your feedback here. I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

During booking, there was a small hiccup. When looking at the hotels website it appeared there
were rooms available. So I told everyone we were going. Then when you click on the room, it says
"we are sorry, there are no more rooms" . So I called the hotel and they confirmed they were sold out. Being upset, I started clicking around the internet and came upon booking.com and it showed rooms available, so I quick bought for 1 night and then called American Express Platinum to see if the could extend my stay and get me the benefits of the card. They were able to help me out. When we arrived we were upgraded to a 1600 sq ft double ocean view bungalow suite. Nicer than any Four Seasons suite we have been in. It was a little annoying that the coffee shop did not open till 7am every morning and they charge you $10 to brew a pot of coffee in the room, but besides that this place is great. The soap, shampoo and conditioner are top of the line, slippers were comfy, pool was warm for the kids all day and night. I think I have only given 5 stars once in all my reviews and this place gets the 2nd. I also went to the spa and had a 30 min pronto massage and it was very good and 5 star also

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Beautiful property, well maintained, but serious holes in quality of service and food especially with the prices they charge. On a cloudy and cool day with the pool nearly empty drink service was still incredibly slow - 20 + minutes. On another day after being seated for lunch at the coliseum restaurant we waited over 15 minutes to have anyone come over to take our order, delivered the wrong drinks, and then had to ask multiple times for the check so we could get the heck out of there. We decided we were far better off taking a cab to restaurants off the property where the food was better, prices in the realm of reasonable, and most surprising.- service was better,

I would want to check out other resorts in the area before ever coming back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback about your recent stay at Pelican Hill. While I’m glad to read that you enjoyed the beauty and serene location of Pelican Hill, it troubles me that you were disappointed in the level of service you encountered during your visit.

At Pelican Hill, we pride ourselves on being a complete luxury resort destination, where guests check in, and have all of the desired Five-Star amenities at their fingertips. I regret that your experience at the Coliseum Pool left you wising to dine elsewhere, and assure you I have taken the time to follow up with our restaurant management team to communicate your feedback.

We are committed to providing ongoing service training for our staff, so we may not only meet, but exceed our guests’ expectations. Once again, I want to thank you for taking the time to communicate your thoughts, as your candid feedback is a valuable training tool. I sincerely apologize if your visit was less than perfect, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

The Resort at Pelican Hill

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!