“Amazing Property, Amazing Location” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22701 Pelican Hill Road South, Newport Beach, CA 92657   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 17 hotels in Newport Beach
Flower Mound, Texas
“Amazing Property, Amazing Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is truly one of the nicest resorts in the United States. The staff service is over the top. The bungalows are spacious and luxurious. The large pool with renting a cabana is wonderful. The golf courses are beautiful and challenging. The restaurants have fantastic food and service. I can't say one bad thing about this place. I would recommend to go as soon as you can!

Room Tip: We actually didn't have an ocean view, I don't think it matters. This property doesn't...

732 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Marina del Rey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Resort at Pelican Hill is a truly spectacular place. Set back in Newport Coast, driving up one gets the feeling of pulling into a sprawling mansion rather than a hotel. And with rooms starting at 847 square feet, mansion size is somewhat fitting.

My specific room was a bungalow suite. Though not even close to the largest accommodation here (the Villas take that honor), the room was still almost 1700 square feet. But a big room is one thing; this one was also fitted with immense detail, and tended to by a housekeeping team that made it look as though we never lived in the place.

Beyond the rooms, the Resort at Pelican hill also features multiple fine dining options, an insane infinity pool, and 24 hour “courtesy shuttles” (essentially, you give them a call and they will send a Mercedes to take you anywhere on property).

In sum, I’ve stayed at many of the world’s finest hotels, and unquestionably the Resort at Pelican Hill holds its own in that category. If you’re looking for an unforgettable place to relax and unwind, it’ll be tough to do better.

Room Tip: There are two categories of rooms here: Bungalows and Villas. Villas are larger suites (2br and up...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Great golf course and facilities. It would appear to have everything except a commitment to customer service and attention to detail.

Intermittent service was the biggest problem. On first day sat down for lunch. It took over an hour to get served, and when we did my quesadilla appeared to have been microwaved to melt the cheese and then thrown in pan for a couple minutes in a poor attempt to brown the tortilla. When I tried to order room service I was left on the line for 5 minutes. When I finally got someone to answer, after the front desk had cycled the call to room service a couple of times, I said I simply wanted to order some food. The woman who answered had an attitude and let me know she was the manager in a way that sounded as though I should feel honored to have the privilege to speak with her. They forgot to send a car to pick up my mother in law, who has difficulty getting around, and then it still took another 20 minutes to send a car after being reminded with a call. These were not isolated incidents during our visit.

The exercise room is open 24 hours, but some of the machines were not in very good condition.

Some staff such as the housekeeping people did a fantastic job. They appeared to take a lot of time and expend a lot of energy to make the rooms clean and neat. A number of the other people, usually those with less prestigious jobs, went out of their way to be helpful and pleasant.

It is unlikely that I would plan to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
As I read through the thoughtful feedback you have provided here, I am disappointed that your recent visit did not reflect the Five-Star standards we intend to provide for each and every guest at Pelican Hill. I would like to extend my apologies for the oversights you encountered with your dining experience, and the less-than-perfect service with in-room dining and transportation staff.

At Pelican Hill, we are committed to providing the highest levels of service and professionalism, with the goal of exceeding our guests’ expectations throughout their stay. I understand that your experience did not meet your expectations and our goals, and I have personally followed up with the managers in each of the departments mentioned here to address your concerns. We value your candid feedback, and will take this as an opportunity to continually improve upon our service levels throughout the Resort.

Once again, I apologize that you were disappointed in your experience, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Giuseppe Lama
Managing Director
Northern california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I went there for a couple of nights. The resort is a well maintained place, I think there were more staff then visitors. The original cost of our bungalow was $595 per night. About nine days prior I saw that the rate went down to $399 per night. I called the resort and they gave me the better rate. If I had paid $595 per night I would be writing a different review, it was not worth that price.
The one thing I do not like is price gouging and they are very guilty of that. In the room, there is a wet bar with drinks and snacks. The prices were outrageous. I am used to seeing higher prices for that type of stuff but they were ridiculous, it was actually a joke. An example, a regular size snicker bar was $6. A one ounce bag of sea salt chips that you can buy at the store for $1.00 was $5. We had room service one night and my husband and I both had cheeseburgers and French fries and the total was $86 and the cheeseburger was really dry. Overall we did relax but I would not go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your recent visit. Although I’m delighted to read that you and your husband enjoyed a relaxing getaway at the Resort, I’m disappointed that your dining selections did not meet your expectations and our goals. I have taken the time to share your comments with our culinary team, based the feedback you have provided here.

I apologize if your experience was less than perfect, and thank you again for your candid feedback.

Kind regards,

Giuseppe Lama
Managing Director
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel, the staff, the food, the grounds, the atmosphere, the energy, the spa, the gym, the location, the huge amount of well being activities to do, the salon, the golf, the runs, the near by beach, the rooms, the VIP status everyone gets, the amazing tranquil setting that is immaculate, the health events, the shop, the cars that drive you from your door to anywhere you want to go, the security and safeness you feel as a guest, the amazing restaurants, the take out service, the breakfast served, set up and if requested cooked in your room or villa, the posh level of privacy that allows some of the wealthiest and most famous attend, yet the down to earth feeling for any kind of guest.
It is without question the nicest place we have ever stayed and we have stayed all over the world in luxury top end places.
The service makes this place feel like you have won the lottery, the staff are like your own private butlers and the villas we had were just amazing, Woolf cookers, massive beds, space, bathrooms like a spa room, showers that you only see in show homes, state of the art everything. It is so wonderful I am staggered that a recent review slated it because they could not get through on the phone, the mind boggles as the comment that says it shows what the real service would be like is so far from reality I find the review unfair. This resort deserves the finest award there is and I know that any other guest I met their said the same, you feel like a movie star staying here and I would go back year after year without hesitation.

Room Tip: Villas are like show homes for the rich.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is absolutely beautiful. The grounds are lush and mature. I checked in and my room wasn't available but they offered for me to use the spa facilities if I wanted to freshen up or change. I declined and headed to the pool to relax. Service was fantastic and quick with my drink and food. The grounds are spread out but the walk is enjoyable. You park your car next to your room which is convenient. If you need, the hotel offers rides from your room to wherever you need to go. My husband played golf and the hotel drove him over to the course. Our room was very large and well appointed. The spa is fantastic as well as the service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the pool so the walk is not too far.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My mother and I had a wonderful trip. We arrived earlier than check in time and they had our room ready for us. We were handed an envelope, which included our itinerary during our stay. This included our spa and dinner reservations. Eric took us to our beautiful bungalow in the 'golf' cart and explained the features of the gorgeous room. The Coliseum Grill's and Andrea's service and food was outstanding. Mom and I walked around the pristine property all the while looking out to the blue Pacific. We also took the complimentary coach to nearby Fashion Island, which leaves the resort at the top of the hour. This complimentary coach also picks up from Fashion Island every half hour...extremely convenient and impressive, I thought. The rooms are quiet. The bath amenities are of high quality. You can leave your shampoos and lotions at home. The night before our departure, hospitality service called our room asking if we needed any assistance and they were able to print out our boarding pass and leave it at our door the next morning. Mom didn't want to leave, but we had to via cab, which picked us up right at the steps of our bungalow. The attention to detail was not lost by the service, building and landscaping architects. Amazing. Thanks, to all at The Resort at Pelican Hill, for making our trip memorable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!